Author Topic: G2G Richidoos May 30  (Read 21983 times)

Black Sand Cable

Re: G2G Richidoos May 30
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2009, 01:31:33 PM »
What is up with all the Spectron and Class D bashing?  :duh

A few of you heard it through one set of speakers and on the surface at least, seem to have drawn conclusions that simply don't fly. Everybody has their opinion and that is cool but some of the stuff said in this thread is a little harsh. I have the Spectron running a set of GamuT L7's at the moment (that are a highly regarded set of speakers) and to date, not one single person that has heard this system has made the comment that the system (or amp) was too forward, bright, harsh, accurate etc. On these speakers the amp works wonders, just like it does with some of the Epos speakers I have tried it on. The only person I know of to date that has sold a Spectron amp as a result of not liking the sound (cost also), owned a set of higher end Ushers. I can't recall off the top of my head if they were BE-10's or BE-20's but it was one of those.

I actually have a few Spectron dealers that are also Usher dealers and for the most part the general feedback seems to be that this combo can work but is very model dependent. I should also mention that I actually don't mind Usher speakers. I have heard almost all of them and although the BE-20's and BE-10's are not my cup of tea, there are a few models in the line that I would happily own.

Truth be told, I can't stand forward, bright, accurate sounding systems as they make me want to pull what little hair I have left...out. Take it for what it's worth but for me to like a system, it usually means that the system is what most would call laid back, warm etc. What I call the UK sound. Detail, bass out the ass, control across the spectrum but not in your face is what I like.

On the other hand when I run the Spectron with PSB's top of the line speakers, it's too much of a good thing for my personal tastes and thus I don't like the combo but I don't blame that on the amp, I blame the speakers as they do it with W4S amps also and display the same tendencies when powered by NAD stuff which is about as laid back as it gets.

Same goes for Spectron and Thiel. It's simply not a combo I would personally use but again, I don't blame the amp or speakers for that, it's simply a combination of the two which doesn't work for me.

Last time I checked, the speakers have far more to do with what you are hearing then the amp does......

I distribute Spectron so obviously I have vested interest in the line but in spite of that I'm very upfront with people when it comes to this amp. If I don't think it will work in their respective system, I tell them. Ask Rich if you want confirmation. I have been telling him for weeks to look at a manufacture I don't even handle as I think it will work wonders given what he is after! I may be wrong but I'm giving him an honest opinion on what I think will work and unfortunately for me, I don't sell the amp in question. I'm basically sending him to somebody else.  :(
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 02:14:49 PM by Black Sand Cable »

Offline stereofool

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2009, 02:37:01 PM »
Good points, John !

I do know that my ears weren't very tolerant of most of the combinations, this past Saturday.

I've heard Rich's prior system sounding excellent, but that was with (at least) tube amps, sometimes tube pre-amps, tube CD player, etc. HMMMMM....it would appear that I like tube smoothness, coupled with Rich's BE-20's.

I'm very happy with my own system, so I'm glad that I'm not having to fight that, as poor Rich is doing  ;)
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2009, 03:50:13 PM »
I have been telling him for weeks to look at a manufacture I don't even handle as I think it will work wonders given what he is after! I may be wrong but I'm giving him an honest opinion on what I think will work and unfortunately for me, I don't sell the amp in question. I'm basically sending him to somebody else.  :(

It's the Parasound JC-1s. And they are still on my to-do list. I'd rather buy from you, but the honest advice is even more valuable. I have to think about the size, heat, and usability. But the speakers deserve such an amp, similar price as Spectron.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2009, 04:51:21 PM »
Rich, if you're even remotely considering a McCormack DNA-500, we should work out a time for you to borrow it.  To me, while certainly not tubes, it presents the best of solid state. Tightly controlled bass, fast transient response, all the power those Ushers could possibly need and rarely a painful moment unless the recording simply sucks (which does happen more often than I wish).

There are two right now on A'gon at a great price.   Let me know if you want to give it a spin sometime...

lonewolfny42

« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2009, 05:32:50 PM »
Rich, if you're even remotely considering a McCormack DNA-500, we should work out a time for you to borrow it.

Rich.....

I'd take Mike up on his offer.  8)
I've heard the McCormack a few times...it does a lot of things right....
And it would work well with the Usher's....
Match it up with a good tube preamp...you should be good -to -go. :beer:

Offline chrisa

• Seeking Help
« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2009, 06:11:03 PM »
A poster that I respect on A-asylum said you're possibly wasting your time trying to select high resolution components without using a dedicated AC line, due to unpredictable results.  I didn't want to believe it, but after having a line installed last year my system has been consistently clean and never etched. Previously my best results were normally late at night.

Chris

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2009, 06:35:16 PM »
Thanks for the offer Mike. I liked it at your house. I hate to take equipment out of someone's working system. If you won't miss it for a couple nights I would like to try it out. Thanks a lot.

Chrisa, I intend to get a balanced power conditioner back in the house when that priority rises to the surface. It is much better than dedicated line imo. Although I do have a dedicated line in the room needs moving to the correct wall since I have rotated the system 90 degrees.

thanks wolfy!

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2009, 06:39:41 PM »
The McCormack sounded great at Mike's, for sure.  It's an amp I've been interested in trying for years.  If Mike's willing to 'spread the wealth' I'd like to hear it in my system too! :)

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.