Author Topic: Digital output from PC  (Read 3883 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Digital output from PC
« on: May 20, 2009, 11:51:26 AM »
From http://www.audionervosa.com/index.php?topic=1414.msg13671#msg13671
This topic is worth discussing in it's own thread...

I've been trying to find a better USB to SPDIF or AES converter that doesn't screw up the sound moreso than trying different variations of stand alone players.  My Oracle DAC1000 is phenomenal and sounds better fed true XLR connected digital than RCA coax.  But there is a dearth of products that do nothing but the conversion from USB to coax or AES.  They all want to do the DAC step as well.  I've thought about trying an Apogee Big Ben in there for clocking since most USB implementations aren't great.  But I've got to get out of the computer into it first.

Shane, the only high end USB / digital audio converter I know of is Empirical Off Ramp. Consumer pro audio versions prioritize features and price, not sound quality. Big boy pro audio doesn't use USB since a new dedicated computer is cheapest part of the system. There is a middle ground like MOTU, Mackie, etc, but it is features based, you will get 16 analog mic inputs along with your AES.

Big Ben is a great clock, but you have to clock the transport too, not just the DAC. The Oracle already has a good clock, but it's not in control of the SPDIF stream.

But if you can do PCI, there are some high end pro audio cards worth checking out:Lynx L22 - $675
Digital Audio Labs CDX-D8 - $500
Both are very well regarded brands in pro audio. Both have AES/EBU output and word clock output. Both also have excellent analog I/O for recording FM, etc. Both are standard PCI cards. 
I like the Lynx stuff, great reviews. Hantra once used Lynx2 for analog out, said it was great.

How tolerant is Oracle DAC1000 of jitter on spdif?  Does it buffer the stream and reclock?

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Digital output from PC
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 12:12:01 PM »
This is partially why I moved to USB.. I thought that the USB output was a better place to start than a spidf/coax/toslink.  I might be wrong but it was my thinking at the time.. a couple of years ago.
I'm trying a much nicer USB cable to further my 'research' into my digital audio output choice. ;)
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 03:28:58 PM »
At some point USB must be converted to PCM before hitting the DAC. That conversion can be a source of jitter.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 08:24:49 PM »
Little review of Off ramp on positive feedback, along with a review of Lee's Locus superduper USB cable.

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue43/ramblings.htm

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 04:25:33 AM »
The Off-Ramp is a sweet little piece.  Had a chance to hear it from a 'nothing special' laptop as the source and the sound was excellent.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

CryoParts

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 07:45:17 AM »
I'll chime in with a recommendation of the Off Ramp 3.  Great piece of gear. 

Lee