Author Topic: My Media Room...  (Read 25453 times)

Offline GDHAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • All we need is music, sweet music
Re: My Media Room...
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2023, 07:49:46 AM »
A little bummed...
My X10-D tube buffer developed a hum yesterday. The system definitely loses something without it. Wondering if it's a tube or a cap(?) May try to source some replacement tubes to see if that addresses the issue.

Probably unrelated but you might also want to try a DC filter, especially if you've added anything to your environment (same circuit) like fluorescent lighting. I use a DC filter (Emotiva CMX-2). I've always felt it doesn't hurt anything and can only help. My system is dead quiet. They don't call this site audio Nervosa for no reason. I've had a stethoscope up to my speakers when powered on, no music, volume all the way down (7am), volume at midway (12pm), and volume all the way up (5pm). Only at 5pm can you hear the faintest hiss from the tweeter with the stethoscope, not by the naked ear.

Pro Tip - (not implying you're not a pro, Barry  :) ) If possible, you want to keep all of your electronics plugged into the same outlet. Plugging into multiple outlets greatly (as in many many times) increases the chances for ground loops and other noices.

Best.

Hal

EDIT: Barry, something else likely unrelated, however, one never really knows until they try for themselves. And this is irrespective of anything else you do to rid the noise. Purchase a modest balanced power transformer and plug your gear into that. There are plusses and minuses in doing so. The minus id you may void certain warranties and/or cause electrical non-grounding issues. The upside is you will definitely (well, I can't really speak/write to your hearing acuity, but...) notice a difference. The system sound signature completely changes. Some like it, I don't. However, to qualify that statement, I used an $850 balanced transformer at one point. If I stepped up the ladder to $5G I think I would keep/live with it. Profound difference. Not better or worse. But definitely different.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2023, 08:11:37 AM by GDHAL »
GoldenEar Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
http://halr.x10.mx/other.html

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2023, 08:19:17 AM »
Probably unrelated but you might also want to try a DC filter, especially if you've added anything to your environment (same circuit) like fluorescent lighting. I use a DC filter (Emotiva CMX-2). I've always felt it doesn't hurt anything and can only help. My system is dead quiet. They don't call this site audio Nervosa for no reason. I've had a stethoscope up to my speakers when powered on, no music, volume all the way down (7am), volume at midway (12pm), and volume all the way up (5pm). Only at 5pm can you hear the faintest hiss from the tweeter with the stethoscope, not by the naked ear.

Pro Tip - (not implying you're not a pro, Barry  :) ) If possible, you want to keep all of your electronics plugged into the same outlet. Plugging into multiple outlets greatly (as in many many times) increases the chances for ground loops and other noices.

Best.

Hal

Hal, :rofl: I don't think you've read through the thread, but I get it, it's pretty long ;)

I've got a dedicated, single unbroken 12 gauge line on a 20amp breaker, from main box to the room, which then has one branch that goes to the projector at the back of the room, so only AV equipment is connected ;)

Prior to the start of this noise, just yesterday, the system configuration has been stable for a few weeks. Once I noticed it, I tried a couple of changes, and the one that fixed it was removing the X10-D. I opened it up, and there's no immediately apparent failure. No leaky caps or burnt resistors, and the solder joints on the board look good too.

I started pricing tubes, looks like I can get a replacement pair delivered for about $80~$100, or maybe a bit less, or a whole lot more :shock:

Not sure if it's time to start looking for a tube pre-amp... decisions... decisions...  :-k
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...

Offline GDHAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • All we need is music, sweet music
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2023, 08:35:11 AM »

Hal, :rofl: I don't think you've read through the thread, but I get it, it's pretty long ;)

I've got a dedicated, single unbroken 12 gauge line on a 20amp breaker, from main box to the room, which then has one branch that goes to the projector at the back of the room, so only AV equipment is connected ;)

Prior to the start of this noise, just yesterday, the system configuration has been stable for a few weeks. Once I noticed it, I tried a couple of changes, and the one that fixed it was removing the X10-D. I opened it up, and there's no immediately apparent failure. No leaky caps or burnt resistors, and the solder joints on the board look good too.

I started pricing tubes, looks like I can get a replacement pair delivered for about $80~$100, or maybe a bit less, or a whole lot more :shock:

Not sure if it's time to start looking for a tube pre-amp... decisions... decisions...  :-k

No, I haven't read back through the entire thread. Glad to read/understand you have it sorted out.  :)
GoldenEar Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
http://halr.x10.mx/other.html

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2023, 09:01:25 AM »
EDIT: Barry, something else likely unrelated, however, one never really knows until they try for themselves. And this is irrespective of anything else you do to rid the noise. Purchase a modest balanced power transformer and plug your gear into that. There are plusses and minuses in doing so. The minus id you may void certain warranties and/or cause electrical non-grounding issues. The upside is you will definitely (well, I can't really speak/write to your hearing acuity, but...) notice a difference. The system sound signature completely changes. Some like it, I don't. However, to qualify that statement, I used an $850 balanced transformer at one point. If I stepped up the ladder to $5G I think I would keep/live with it. Profound difference. Not better or worse. But definitely different.

This is something I'd thought about for some time, though I don't believe it will fix my current issue. I actually have a rather large transformer here that is capable of this, I'm just not comfortable making the changes to its inner connections to make it work this way. I was given instructions, but still intimidated  :oops:
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...