Author Topic: New RAD 10MKII Subwoofer  (Read 4493 times)

Brian Bunge

New RAD 10MKII Subwoofer
« on: April 16, 2007, 06:55:03 AM »
I wanted to introduce the new RAD 10MKII subwoofer.  This sub uses a 10" black anodized aluminum cone (Dayton RS HO version) and a 300W BASH amp in a 13" sealed cube.  The enclosure has a 1.5" thick front baffle and an internal 3/4" brace which interlocks the top, sides and bottom for a very rigid enclosure.  

The box with light stuffing approximates a Bessel alignment with a Qtc =.577.  This is a substantial increase in sound quality from the original RAD 10, which has a Qtc of .707 and also used a 150W amp.  The original was a great little sub for small HT setups, but could become a bit boomy while listening to music.  The new design gives up a little impact for HT but gives a much smoother response for 2-channel music listening.

Here are some of the features of the amp:

* High power output in a compact, lightweight design
    * Speaker and line level inputs for connection to any stereo
    * Limiting circuit prevents audible clipping and protects woofers
    * Auto On/Off and phase reversal switch
    * Dedicated LFE input
    * 50-150Hz lowpass crossover

Initial pricing will remain the same at $600 for a completely assembled and tested unit.  The pictures below are of my demo unit with a figured cherry veneer, which is available for a $50 upgrade.  This unit is also up for sale for $500 if anyone is interested.

If anyone has any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: New RAD 10MKII Subwoofer
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 04:51:36 PM »
I bought this demo unit and have had it installed for about a month now. It sounds fantastic. Effortless, clean, pure, dry, no MUD! Compared to my old tiny deftech unit this one eats it alive and it is not really adjusted properly yet, just by ear so far. I have not been able to discover the max SPL capacity during normal use, including the usual suspects mega movies with big booms. It has plenty of headroom and great tone. Blends very well with deftech tiny 3" sats, which do sound good down to 150Hz. Nice job Brian!
Rich

Brian Bunge

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 02:35:38 PM »
Rich,

Thanks for the kind words.  I'm really glad you like it!  I don't think I ever found the excursion limits myself.  I'd love to hear what you think of it in a modest audiophile quality 2-channel system.  I know many don't use subs but I'd imagine one (or maybe even a pair) of these would work well with small to medium-sized monitors.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 04:30:00 PM »
Good idea. I could try it with a pair of mid fi infinities, or try to get a set of high end small speakers on loan, and also biwire my amps to the top of the big speakers and to the sub in the middle.  I'll put that on the list of audio to do's ;)

Brian Bunge

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 03:45:21 PM »
Hi Rich,

I hope the sub is still working well for you.  Did you ever get a chance to try it in a modest little 2 channel setup?

Offline richidoo

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 06:01:10 AM »
Hi Brian,
I have not tried it in a audio system yet. Thanks for reminding me. I have some diy single driver speakers that need help below 50Hz. I'll give it a try.

Brian Bunge

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 06:40:47 AM »
Great Rich!  Thanks!