Author Topic: Speaker cable terminations  (Read 7280 times)

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
Speaker cable terminations
« on: April 29, 2012, 07:32:23 AM »
What is the preferred speaker cable termination? I have old Monster Cable bananas with spade lugs that you have to use a allen key to tighten. I don't really like them. What is everyone using these days?
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Speaker cable terminations
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 09:08:39 AM »
WBT bananas. They tighten firmly with a knob that widens the banana to grip the hole twss. A ferrule is crimped to the cable, then the banana tightens to the ferrule with two torx set screws. I like them.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 02:56:20 PM »
I think most people are using whatever came on their wires for the most part.  Spades or bananas? I use spades.  

It's rare that speaker termination makes a difference in SQ that is really noticeable.  Note I said rare... I don't have an issue with monster cables but I always used them without termination.  

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 03:37:58 PM »
I think most people are using whatever came on their wires for the most part.  Spades or bananas? I use spades.  

It's rare that speaker termination makes a difference in SQ that is really noticeable.  Note I said rare... I don't have an issue with monster cables but I always used them without termination.  

-C

I am using MIT Shotgun with Monster connectors. these seem interesting:
http://www.electracable.com/tubeconnector.htm
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline richidoo

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 06:44:35 AM »
Yeah, those do look pretty cool. I'd like to try those.

Another that appeals to me is the Eichmann Cablepod.
http://www.vhaudio.com/cablepod.html
Expensive, and I read that it is not very strong.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 06:52:16 AM »
  Jim,
            Connectors add impedance. If you can use no connector just bare wire go for it.
    For me less mass the better. Clean the terminals with Pro Gold be done and save money.
    If you must look at Furutech, WBT or Vampire.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 11:28:30 AM »

-C

I wasn't really clear, I am not concerned about SQ as much as I am about the reliability of the connection. On my current terminations the connections loosen up over time. I don't really like them. It must be a solid connection.

mgalusha

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 08:57:17 AM »

IME they are not good mechanically. If using spades the plastic that presses the spade into the contact eventually starts crumbling. I kept finding little bits of red and black plastic behind the amps and eventually they failed completely. They are probably OK with bananas.

I have some of the angled WBT banana, they are bullet proof. I also like spades, my speaker cables have spades on one end and WBT on the other.

mike

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 06:38:15 PM »

IME they are not good mechanically. If using spades the plastic that presses the spade into the contact eventually starts crumbling. I kept finding little bits of red and black plastic behind the amps and eventually they failed completely. They are probably OK with bananas.

I have some of the angled WBT banana, they are bullet proof. I also like spades, my speaker cables have spades on one end and WBT on the other.

mike

Yes, I concur the WBT look to be very good and I will buy some. Thanks

Offline Face

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 08:09:35 PM »
It's rare that speaker termination makes a difference in SQ that is really noticeable.
Compare quality copper or silver spades/nanners to junk from Ebay or Monoprice, you may be surprised. 

Offline richidoo

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 08:32:54 PM »
I agree, wire terminations and posts can make a huge difference. Some junk posts are made of white metal, like these, and sound really awful.

DH Labs has some nice pure copper spades that are very inexpensive. They crimp or solder and are goldplated.
http://www.silversonic.com/docs/products/Connectors3.html#Spade

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 10:16:53 AM »
No knock offs allowed. I'll pay the price for the better part.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 07:24:41 AM »
To clarify, I was thinking he was re-terminating monster cables in my first post... so any 'good' connector would do... I hadn't considered using the cheapest junk possible and comparing that to Cardas, WBT, etc.  I was thinking if you re-terminate with DH Labs vs. WBT vs. Cardas, it's not going to be readily apparent in my experience.
-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2012, 08:24:54 AM »
Truedat!   Anything >50% copper is in quality territory.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2012, 09:23:51 AM »
To clarify, I was thinking he was re-terminating monster cables in my first post... so any 'good' connector would do... I hadn't considered using the cheapest junk possible and comparing that to Cardas, WBT, etc.  I was thinking if you re-terminate with DH Labs vs. WBT vs. Cardas, it's not going to be readily apparent in my experience.
-C

We're on the same wavelength! :thumb: