Author Topic: speaker wires  (Read 3132 times)

shep

speaker wires
« on: September 28, 2011, 06:00:47 AM »
I saw a rather interesting proposal on AC
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=98871.msg996400#msg996400
anyone know anything about?

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: speaker wires
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 06:28:01 AM »
  To new to know. Maybe the DIY crowd will be aware of the wire used. The twisted pair makes more sense to me.
   For $75 may be worth a try. Our inexpensive wire choice is Supra about $4 per ft. to start.

charles
SMA
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 06:31:02 AM »
The only caveat I can see in his design is that there are mixed gauge wire in each strand. Some of those are twisted and some are not, meaning that there will be different effective lengths within each strand. That can cause a smearing.

I found a similar smearing when I made a test set of cables using braided CAT5 wire. CAT5 contains a number of paired wires internally, but each pair uses a different # twists per foot.

Just a thought - don't know how it would sound in actual practice.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline _Scotty_

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • “Sic transit gloria mundi”
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 09:22:46 AM »
I wouldn't want them for the same reason BobM listed,every time
I have played around with multiple gauge stranding in speaker cables or interconnects it has resulted in smearing.
 This stuff might work for a power cord in some systems,YMMV.
The unfortunate part about this is that the PCOCC wire might sound pretty good if there were no gauge variations in the stranding and a large enough gauge was used in the strands.
Belkin is building what they think the market wants based on Monster Cables advertising paradigm,the bass will seek the big wires and the highs will find the little wires,yeah right!
Scotty

shep

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 11:01:53 AM »
Thanks for the input. They were not on my list, I am very happy with mine. Rather for a friend, for whom I need to put together a decent but cheapish system. I'm sure when the time is right someone will be selling off something decent.