Author Topic: Supra Cables  (Read 5923 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Supra Cables
« on: August 06, 2009, 08:17:12 AM »
A while ago I ordered a 25 foot pair of ply 3.4S for a friend. At the end of the day there was a 12 ft piece left over. So home it went for future consideration.
   Well last night after months of sitting around in they went. My reference cable is Omega Mikro active. to my surprise the Supra cable out of the box sounded great. Its a 5N tin plated copper multi stranded design with very low cap. and inductance. Flexible and shielded with a drain wire. About $5 per ft.
   This performance of this cable shocked me. COLD and not broken in I could find no fault. OK, OK after an hour or so the typical breakinitis appeared . Not to the point of "I cannot listen to this" but more like the upper mids and top were slightly highlighted but never fatiguing. The bass is killer. even the soundstage was open not compressed. Impressive to say the least.
   We all know about synergy, but this cable is neutral, neutral and neutral. IMO it would fit in any system. I will burn it in for 100 Hrs and compare directly to the Omegas. Its exciting when a fair priced cable from a world class wire manf. [ Sweden] gets involved.
   IMO a must try before you lay down thousands like ME.  :duh

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
Re: Supra Cables
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 07:15:39 AM »
A while ago I ordered a 25 foot pair of ply 3.4S for a friend. At the end of the day there was a 12 ft piece left over. So home it went for future consideration.
   Well last night after months of sitting around in they went. My reference cable is the Omega Mikro active. To my surprise the Supra cable out of the box sounded great. Its a 5N tin plated copper multi stranded design with very low cap. and inductance. Flexible and shielded with a drain wire. About $5 per ft.
   This performance of this cable shocked me. COLD and not broken in I could find no fault. OK, OK after an hour or so the typical breakinitis appeared . Not to the point of "I cannot listen to this" but more like the upper mids and top were slightly highlighted but never fatiguing. The bass is killer. even the soundstage was open not compressed. Impressive to say the least.
   We all know about synergy, but this cable is neutral, neutral and neutral. IMO it would fit in any system. I will burn it in for 100 Hrs and compare directly to the Omegas. Its exciting when a fair priced cable from a world class wire manf. [ Sweden] gets involved.
   IMO a must try before you lay down thousands like ME.  :duh

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

shep

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 11:58:10 PM »
I remember Supra! I had some back in the 80's. I think it was my first real audio spkr cable, followed by some weird Japanese stuff that was silly expensive and then Monster cable. They were all bad by todays standards but it was exciting to move up from zip chord.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 07:13:06 AM »
Shep not the same animal. Their lastest cables are quite something. Bang for the buck. When I put them in I was not expecting anything special. With only 15 Hrs or so of break in I find no complaints and believe me I'm listening for something bad to happen. A sleeper IMO that should be considered before plucking down serious money. That's all.

charles

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 07:17:38 AM »
After visiting the JPS site and reading that they attach the shield of their speaker cable to the speaker end I did the same with the Supra cable. HMMMMM ! It worked out well giving more info and those small inflections that make it sound closer to the real deal. Very interesting indeed.

charles

shep

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 02:53:09 PM »
I should hope it's not the same animal after 30 years!

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 08:27:10 AM »
Well after 100 hours its still changing. The sound stage finally opened up and the top has tamed down. A bit hot at the beginning. Bass is coming about as well from being a tad plump. Sibilants of the voice are well tamed and natural sounding. Detailed, quick, dynamic with no emphasis of anything. Full but not fat or thin in anyway.
   Another 100 hours will tell the tale in full. For now I will make a bold statement. This cable IMO is well engineered for audio and may be the giant killer we have been waiting for . Yes synergy is important as we all know but this cable is so uncolored it should fit in any system without degradation of sound. Its $5.50/ ft. for the shielded cable, under $90 for an 8 Ft. pair. Well worth a try. If you need a tone control get an equalizer cause this cable is as neutral as one could ask for. I swear [ Klingon ]

charles

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 07:56:26 AM »
Well the verdict is in. I know I know another cable story. A must try IMO before one plucks down serious money. They are THAT GOOD. Besting my reference Mapleshade so far. Tonight will be the battle for top gun. Let you know.

charles

Offline mca

• Certifiable
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2009, 09:32:15 AM »
Any update Charles?
Modwright Transporter, Ayon Spirit II Integrated, Daedalus Ulysses speakers, Running Springs Haley conditioner, Reality cables, Black Sand Violet PC's.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2009, 09:55:28 AM »
Any update Charles?

Yes. The Supra cables presentation is set back in the soundstage. The Omega a bit upfront. Tonality wise about equal with a bit more finesse with the Omegas. However the top end of the Supra was more detailed, not crisp or bright. The omegas top end is a tad fuller. Trade offs for sure. So as I said before try these out before committing to the exotic stuff. Is it the KILLER cable ? Again NO. Its basically neutral in character, so if the system needs no flavoring then they just might do the trick. My take.

charles