Author Topic: Phono interconnects a must?  (Read 2776 times)

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
Phono interconnects a must?
« on: March 02, 2020, 01:08:49 PM »
I have never specifically used phono interconnects on my TT. I do use a very good pair of interconnects (Wywires). Is there any benefit to using phono interconnects over my set of general purpose interconnects?
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline Folsom

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: Phono interconnects a must?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2020, 01:11:41 PM »
No. You just need them to be shielded.

Welllll
also don't use high capacitance ones IMO in this critical spot.

Offline James Edward

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2020, 03:35:33 PM »
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2020, 04:01:33 PM »
Well, the 2 Jim's didn't hear anything objectionable so I guess I am good to go!
 :lol:
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2020, 04:27:00 PM »
Just found this on Pete’s site. I don’t know if anybody here uses them.
https://www.triodewirelabs.com/product/spirit-interconnects-american-series/
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2020, 11:24:49 AM »
  I believe you may be confused. If your TT has RCA outs then NO. Just use a shielded cable of your choice. If you use a true Phono cable it has a connector from arm then RCA to phono input. There are also cable that are directly connected to the Cart. I use Crystal Cable in the Kuzma. Solid Silver wire from Cart to phono input.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2020, 09:13:46 AM »

Bottom line, is that you should have a properly designed phono interconnect for your cartridge, especially if it's MM (Moving Magnet)!

When I was using my Clearaudio Maestro V2, I had specifically designed a shielded TWL phono cable that MATCHED the cartridge and phono input. In the case of my Clearaudio cartridge, I had 220pf of total loading capacitance. My tonearm wiring was 25pf along with my TWL interconnect of 95pf together with 100pf of the phono input, these capacitances formed a parallel circuit with a total sum of ~220pf that basically guaranteed an exact match for my cartridge (and most moving magnet cartridges). This balances the cartridges' inductance which is usually in the region of 500mH and the 47K input resistance controls the overall resonant Q.

Extremely important since if the overall capacitance is too low, you would have peaks at a higher frequency, causing upper midrange losses (The midrange is where you live!)... Too high capacitance, you would have peaks in the upper midrange, causing high frequency losses!

I remember SME having a high capacitance phono interconnect and those using a MM cartridge were caught off-guard not knowing the cable was designed for MC!!! Moving coil cartridges are much more forgiving!

So the lesson here is to have a properly designed phono interconnect to match your cartridge!! Don't forget about that!

My additional $0.02 for today,
Pete
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 09:18:15 AM by Triode Pete »
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2020, 11:43:06 AM »

Bottom line, is that you should have a properly designed phono interconnect for your cartridge, especially if it's MM (Moving Magnet)!

When I was using my Clearaudio Maestro V2, I had specifically designed a shielded TWL phono cable that MATCHED the cartridge and phono input. In the case of my Clearaudio cartridge, I had 220pf of total loading capacitance. My tonearm wiring was 25pf along with my TWL interconnect of 95pf together with 100pf of the phono input, these capacitances formed a parallel circuit with a total sum of ~220pf that basically guaranteed an exact match for my cartridge (and most moving magnet cartridges). This balances the cartridges' inductance which is usually in the region of 500mH and the 47K input resistance controls the overall resonant Q.

Extremely important since if the overall capacitance is too low, you would have peaks at a higher frequency, causing upper midrange losses (The midrange is where you live!)... Too high capacitance, you would have peaks in the upper midrange, causing high frequency losses!

I remember SME having a high capacitance phono interconnect and those using a MM cartridge were caught off-guard not knowing the cable was designed for MC!!! Moving coil cartridges are much more forgiving!

So the lesson here is to have a properly designed phono interconnect to match your cartridge!! Don't forget about that!

Pete

I have a LOMC (Dyna 20X2L) and VPI Classic with RCA'a if that matters.

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2020, 12:19:37 PM »

Pete

I have a LOMC (Dyna 20X2L) and VPI Classic with RCA'a if that matters.

You should be fine with a quality shielded RCA IC...
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline James Edward

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2020, 02:40:41 PM »
Phew!
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2020, 12:50:49 PM »
   Pete does that not hold true with any IC used. Add up ones Cap. load and find a cable that comes close. Shielded a must.

charles
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 12:53:43 PM by rollo »
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2020, 12:52:42 PM »
Phew!

James we make it easy for you.Buy Petes cable. :roll: :-P

charles