Poll

Are you an equipment polygamist or a faithful monogamist?

A music lover first with just one equipment partner
2 (12.5%)
A music lover with multiple equipment partners
10 (62.5%)
A true sufferer of Audionervosa, music is secondary and collecting is the goal
1 (6.3%)
The seeker of the audio tree of life, I am on the quest for that mythical combination
3 (18.8%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: April 07, 2007, 04:38:44 PM

Author Topic: Am I an equipment hoarder or a music lover?  (Read 9196 times)

Offline Bemopti123

• Seeking Help
Am I an equipment hoarder or a music lover?
« on: April 07, 2007, 04:38:44 PM »
After about 9 years of somewhat serious addiction, I have the following in the list...

4 pairs of speakers (3 commercial and 1 DIY)
5 amplification sources (1 rebuilt vintage receiver+4 types of amplifiers)
5 preamplifiers (1 tubed and 4 SS, one of them being a TVC)
2 tape decks
1 tuner
2 turntables
1 subwoofer
2 extra pair of fullrange drivers, raw
1 CDP transport
2 outboard DACs

and

XX numbers of DVD players...

For what I read, there are people who are in between equipment hoarders as well as music lovers.  

What are you?  I wonder if I have some sort of compulsive impulsive disorder or I am just pretending to be a music lover.  

PS:  I do like my music well served and kicking, be it through SS or Tube.

WEEZ

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 05:45:55 PM »
You have the disease, man.

I've just got one main system. The other 'odds and ends' are used to augment my (er, my wife's) television. That doesn't count. :)

WEEZ

Offline Bemopti123

• Seeking Help
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 08:36:56 PM »
Gosh, my worst fears are confirmed!  Be darned with sense, cause most of the equipment, if I put them in sale will fetch interest by either the hoards of tirekickers in AudioGon or people who want celestial manna for the price of cheap moonshine.   :D

opnly bafld

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 09:30:37 PM »
3 pairs of real speakers
3 pairs of diy single driver speakers
4 subwoofers- 2 mono/2 stereo
3 preamps- 2 tube/1 ss
4 amps-2 ss stereo-1 pair tube/fet mono-1 tube set stereo
2 tube integrated amps-1 set/1 sep
3 CD players
1 DVD/CD player

I really do love music though, really!
NO HOME THEATRE and a 15+ year old 20" TV
I own about 7 DVDs (a couple have never been opened) and I don't recall ever renting a movie.

Lin

Offline stereofool

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 06:16:45 AM »
Rest easy...Bemopti123...you are NOT alone  :shock: !

There are others out there with similar 'stockpiles'. I agree with you, in that all of my 'toys' (currently in use or storage) are all paid for, and I would get next to nothing out of them by selling...go figure  :roll: .

In house: 6 pairs of speakers
Stored: 5 pairs of speakers

In house: 2 subwoofers

In house: 6 amplifiers
Stored: 5 amplifiers

In house: 1 pre-amp & 1 phono pre-amp
Stored: 2 pre-amps

In house: 1 turntable
Stored: 3 turntables

In house: 3 AV pre-amp/processors

In house: 2 DVD players
Stored: 2 DVD players

In house: 1 Laserdisc player
Stored: 1 Laserdisc player

Stored: 1 DAC

Lots & lots of cables
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007, 12:47:57 PM »
Don't forget the tube-tester, Steve... I mean... don't want to leave out directly-audio-related stuff now do we?   :lol:

I have to admit, I've always been into it for the 'solution'... which means, I find GEAR that fixes a problem... or rather it produces a musically entertaining experience... and then I refine that to a higher level... (rinse and repeat to infinity)

I like both but I think if I stepped back, objectively I'd say I'm more into the gear.  There is nothing more frustrating to me than using trial and error to find a solution.  I think there should be a science to system synergy.  And I've spent the last 5 years heavily dedicated to finding formulas that work most of the time.  However, the more I learn, the more I don't know. :(  I've actually gotten more into the music since I bought the McIntosh gear.  I'm ready to start appreciating music more than gear now since the battle to find these 'formulas' wasn't working the way I'd hoped.  I'm also just enjoying the community of the hobby... (hence, this forum)

So, that's me.  

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2007, 01:39:56 PM »
I only have one system. It started out simple enough in Nov '05, with speakers, an integrated amp and a SB. I planned carefully and was very happy right from the beginning. I tweek it a little here and there as budget allows and my ears demand. I have a TV with mid fi surround like WEEZ, and a small stereo rig on my desk.

Lately I have been "tweeking" a lot more. Partly due to meeting more local audiophiles who have inspired and helped me to improve my system, but I think the biggest injury to my humble and grateful attitude came when I heard ARC Reference components recently. Like the girl said, "I never knew it could be so good!" So now I have a real problem. Audiophile Anonymous, here I come. I have a 5 year plan to get to Ref 3, Ref 210 and appropriate supporting ancillaries. I intend to sell off what I replace, but so far I am pretending I'm too lazy to box it up - or something like that. ;)  A man never forgets his first tube amp, why sell it?
Rich

Offline stereofool

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2007, 02:26:36 PM »
Quote from: Carlman
Don't forget the tube-tester, Steve... I mean... don't want to leave out directly-audio-related stuff now do we?   :lol:

Actually....Carl...make that 2 tube testers  :lol: !

Plus...I'm sure there is stuff that I've even forgotten that I have  :roll: !
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Offline Bemopti123

• Seeking Help
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2007, 06:50:27 PM »
Quote from: "stereofool"
Rest easy...Bemopti123...you are NOT alone  :shock: !

There are others out there with similar 'stockpiles'. I agree with you, in that all of my 'toys' (currently in use or storage) are all paid for, and I would get next to nothing out of them by selling...go figure  :roll: .

Stored: 5 pairs of speakers
Stored: 5 amplifiers
Stored: 2 pre-amps
Stored: 3 turntables
Stored: 2 DVD players
Stored: 1 Laserdisc player
Stored: 1 DAC

Lots & lots of cables

Wow....Now, if the equipment were people, you could charge them rent for occupying space, especially here in NYC.  

I have had all of the equipment I listed, when I was living with my wife, my 1 1/2 year old son, my father, my dog (70 lbs+) in a 1 bedroom apartment, before I moved to an actual house with an attic, a 2 car garage, a junkyard (ahem) yard and 3 bedrooms.  

I think someday, I will be forced to move to larger quarters as a treatment for this AudioNervosa I suffer from.  

PS:  I also have a Laserdisc player....why in heavens I bought it when DVD was coming out,  do not know.  

PS2:  Did I mention that I had a pair of Infinity Kappa 9s circa 1989 mint parked in a pair of boxes in my mom's place in Atlanta?  Lets not even go there :twisted:

shep

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2007, 02:32:30 AM »
I'm the "healthiest" among you lot! I have exactly only one of everything.
I guess I don't qualify for Audiophile anon. (that's not what my greedy head tells me)

Offline Bemopti123

• Seeking Help
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2007, 07:34:05 AM »
Quote from: "shep"
I guess I don't qualify for Audiophile anon. (that's not what my greedy head tells me)

HEHEHEHE...stay away from those who have the Nervosa, you will sure to be contaminated.  Even the act that you are writing and posting on Audio at sites such as this or the Circle....it tells me that you are in the first stages of Nervosa.  May "G-d have mercy on your soul!"   :twisted:

opnly bafld

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2007, 08:02:39 AM »
Quote from: "Bemopti123"
Quote from: "shep"

HEHEHEHE...stay away from those who have the Nervosa, you will sure to be contaminated.  Even the act that you are writing and posting on Audio at sites such as this or the Circle....it tells me that you are in the first stages of Nervosa.  May "G-d have mercy on your soul!"   :twisted:

That is exactly what happened to me, I always had just 1 main system and off and on had a bedroom system.
Then I started to read about all the fun toys on AC with used or direct prices, I inherited a second dedicated room and the floodgates opened.

Lin

shep

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2007, 08:25:01 AM »
Satan get thee behind me!....y'all just jealous of my self-control! :lol:
OK, but just cause it's y'all. I made a deal with myself years ago when I saw the floodgates open and the home for the bewildered beckoning:
So I never never buy something unless I can sell something. Simple, n'est ce pas. Guess why I'm tring to flog those DH lab IC's?

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2007, 09:42:00 AM »
Shep, if you think you're not already infected, then the infection must have already spread to your brain. I'm so sorry. :cry:   Rolling opamps and patron of the audio arts is a sure sign you have been compromised.

... as if there was ever any question.   :wink:

Hiding the evidence is just a form of denial. You need to face you fate. "Give in to the Force. Let yourself go."

Hey, I never heard a frenchman say, "Y'all." That was cool!! Touche!

shep

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2007, 10:47:31 AM »
hey you burned my cover! Denial?  Who? lil ol me?
ps, ain't French :shock:  thought y'all knew. 10th generation white trash from the Carolina's on my pa's side and wierd stuff from ma. Left the states in 63'. Been in some form of denial or another ever since...