Author Topic: Retail vs. used vs out of pocket system valuation  (Read 11477 times)

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
Retail vs. used vs out of pocket system valuation
« on: April 26, 2010, 12:09:09 PM »
I know when we all sit in that listening chair to answer the question posed by our SO's "how much did this all cost?" there are probably 3 different ways to value it all:

- sum up the MSRP (and watch that SO hit the floor, or ceiling)
- sum up the approximate current used selling prices (still probably a floor or ceiling hit)
- sum up what we actually spent (ditto)

I know personally my MSRP sum is far higher than my used or out of pocket costs. This makes me happy because I believe I got a deal buying a lot of stuff used and/or modding it myself.

But there's also the 4th category:

- sum up EVERYTHING we spent, then subtract what we got when we sold something at a profit or loss (and don't forget all that tweaky stuff stuffed into that box in the corner that you don't use anymore)

Does this last category make you want to cry?

How about that 5th category, for those who buy and hold things for a lot of years:

- sum up what you would probably have to spend to replace your equipment with something that sounds just as good at today's MSRP

Now THAT should make you smile again. Things are so freakin' expensive these days. It's like you're not a man anymore unless you have $5000 to throw at some individual piece of equipment, let alone those $40,000 speakers.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 12:21:48 PM by BobM »
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline stereofool

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: Retail vs. used vs out of pocket system valuation
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 12:34:37 PM »
OR...a 6th category:

Have a storage building full of speakers, amps, etc....that you are too damn sorry to list for sale. Especially, when you know that you are not going to get anywhere near what you paid for them  :duh.

Now you just have to sit back and 'forget' that you have all of this great stuff, just sitting around...taking up needed space...oh well  :roll:!!

My advantage...no SO  :) ...so no questions posed  8).
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 12:58:47 PM »
Steve - easy answer there!  Hold a G2G at your place and combine it with a yard sale!

I view this hobby from the standpoint of an annual investment of time and money (as are all hobbies).  My sweet wife is very understanding from this point of view as long as the annual investment is held to a certain acceptable (and accountable) point.  I'm fortunate in that I rarely purchase anything now without selling something so the incremental investment each year just keeps taking me close to my own nirvana (also spelled 'nervosa' by some ;-).  I'm equally fortunate in that my wife loves music as much as I do.

I try not to think about my system value - either MSRP or worth - much less how much I've invested over the years.  While I'm good with it, that would easily lead to a discussion of priorities and missed opportunities that doesn't do anyone any good.

Bigfish8

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 01:21:41 PM »
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

This hobby can be very expensive but everything is relative.  I don't think this hobby is nearly as expensive as Salt Water Fishing.  Lets see:  Boat, trailer, motor, truck to tow boat, mega fishing gear, licenses, taxes, insurance, ramp fees, ice, beer and bait.  Trust me, nothing goes down faster in value than a used boat!  

One of the big problems with any hobby, this one is no different, and it is with what I call curb appeal.  When you participate in audio web sites and you attend G2G's you read or learn about people's perceptions of gear.  Those perceptions may be based on facts or totally based on opinions but they definitely have a strong influence on the price of used gear.  Another factor, which we are going through right now, is the explosion of the digital age.  Digital gear being produced today is simply better and sounds better than the gear made just a short time ago.  Thus, the prices of used digital gear drops like that of a used boat.

This is supposed to be a hobby about the music.  I think it is more about having a system that plays back music in a manner that you want to hear it.  When you are with friends at a G2G you learn that no two people prefer the same type of music or same type of sound.  Thank goodness we have lots of gear to satisfy each of our specific needs.

Ken

« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 01:41:31 PM by Bigfish8 »

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 01:33:48 PM »
I agree about fishing and owning a boat. Truly a watery hole that you just throw money into. I just laugh when I hear someone say they're going fishing because they can bring home free fish. Yeah "FREE" fish my ass.

Although there is nothing quite like watching the sun go down on a boat at the end of the day with some BBQ shrimp on the portable grill and a nice cold glass of white wine or beer. That is until you have to bring the boat back to the dock, wash it down (and maybe put it back on the trailer), pack up all the crap and haul it home, then clean the fish you caught and scrape the scales and salt off your own body and apply copious amounts of aloe before dropping into bed exhausted.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 03:33:27 PM »
If money was NOT an issue I'd have a house on a big lake with a fishing boat, a sail boat, *AND* a great audio system! 

Hey, it could happen!  (reminder to self: go buy lottery tickets asap ;-)

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 06:14:24 PM »
Trust me, nothing goes down faster in value than a used boat!  

Except maybe the beers you dirnk on the used boat..... :beer:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 05:09:37 AM »
I have long wanted to get into sailing.. but there's only so much I can do.  I have spent an embarassing amount of money on audio gear and the room(s).  However, I have grown as a person throughout my hobby (and at times obsession).  I paid a lot of money for school and learned less than I did with audio.  So, to me it wasn't a bad investment, just a really big one. ;)  And, like school, I picked up friends along the way.  :thumb:

So, what did my system cost?  Some hard work and maybe some fun in another hobby.. or a big saving account.. all things I don't know how they'd help me more than audio has.  Audio has been a means for personal growth, connecting emotional and technical desires.   It's one of the few places you can (safely) practice balancing reality and idealism.

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

musicfile

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 05:45:31 AM »
Well said Carlman . I agree wholeheartedly  :thumb:

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2010, 06:52:43 AM »
    Priceless ! To answer the question. Bought some pieces new others previously owned. Still have most gear on hand. Why ? cause I can't seem to let them go. Do I use them? Sometimes but mostly not. Probably have over $5000 sitting around idle looking all purdy and stuff.
     The price of entry wasn't much in the beginning. About $2500 for the Linn LP12, klyne SK5A preamp and Classe DR25 amp. already owned Dahlquest speakers. Today a different story , could have a new Porsche instead but the audio system for me is PRICELESS ! The friends along the journey priceless as well.

charles   
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

bacobits

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2010, 08:02:17 AM »
I have enjoyed all my systems. I can't remember when I bought new. Actually, the Integrated i34 was new last year.
All my used pieces have been pretty close to mint condition.
It is pretty much a given you always lose on resale, that is expected and you also pick up bargains along the way too. You just have to be ready to jump on them.
But, I figure in the depreciation of how long I used the piece. Here the resale price does always go towards the newer one.

I'm one not to change equipment too often. I think most of our wives are forgiving of the
addiction to this hobby. My wife is into sewing so she has some pretty expensive machines too.
I hate to admit it but I have not been in a B&M shop in ages.

Many times after a shit day at work my system has provided the R&R I needed.
That is what matters to me.

Let me add meeting a lot of nice people too. Some face to face, some on the boards I never met.
We all have the same thing in common. We're all nuts!

D

« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 08:05:02 AM by bacobits »

Offline tmazz

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2010, 11:43:43 AM »
So, what did my system cost?  Some hard work and maybe some fun in another hobby.. or a big saving account...

But then again if you didn't have the mancave to chill in you might also be dealing with the bills for psychoanalysis and detox when the pressures and craziness of the world push you right over the end.  :shock:

You can't put a price tag on your own sanity.  :roll:

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2010, 12:23:56 PM »
True.. we're all crazy and you gotta get it out somehow. ;)
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline tmazz

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2010, 12:42:43 PM »
True.. we're all crazy and you gotta get it out somehow. ;)

Remember, normal people are just people you don't know that well yet.  :lol:

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2010, 02:49:46 PM »
Audiogon, ebay, mfr/dealer demo, DIY, and low component turn-over, is how I can afford this hobby...
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...