Author Topic: Out with the Jensens in with the V-cap's  (Read 17714 times)

Offline Bunky

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Out with the Jensens in with the V-cap's
« on: August 19, 2007, 02:31:57 PM »
I have a friend who does excellent work on Audio Gear.I E-mailed him to see if he would desolder the .22 BAT/Jensen PIO capacitors in my VK 60 and replace them with .22 V-cap teflon capacitors. I also offered to pay him for his work.my friend Mike responded to me that he would be happy to perform the work and there is no way that he would take any payment for doing it.He said that next weekend would be a good time for him to do it and to just let him Know when i wanted to do it. i just ordered 4 of the .22 V-cap teflons today in anticipation of doing the Mods. hopefuly by next Sunday i will be burning in the V-caps in the VK 60  :D He also said that he has the very best Cardas solder and that he can do the work for me as neat as a pin.I am really pumped right now! He only lives about 20 minutes away from me and it should not take him very long to do it at all. thanks....WCW III
Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best.
-- Frank Zappa

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: Out with the Jensens in with the V-cap's
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 12:41:43 PM »
The V-caps are the ticket IMO. They are the most neutral cap I have used to date. Hope it works well for the BAT.

rollo
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Bunky

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 01:06:43 PM »
The V-caps are the ticket IMO. They are the most neutral cap I have used to date. Hope it works well for the BAT.

rollo
I got the Idea to replace the Jensens from reading about Guys @ AA replacing the coupling caps in Balanced Audio Technology tube Amplifiers with V-cap teflons of the same value. they are supposed to sound really good in the BAT amplifiers. i just recieved four of the .22 V-caps from UPS a few hours ago.the V-caps should be installed in the VK 60 by Saturday afternoon. then i can start breaking them in with the two pairs of Grover S IC cables.thanks....WCW III
Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best.
-- Frank Zappa

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 01:38:47 PM »
Give them a LOOOONG time to break in.  They'll do a bit of Jekyll and Hyde on you from what I heard of them in a couple other pieces.  In the end, they're extremely neutral and detailed.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline Bunky

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2007, 02:27:23 PM »
I replaced the .22 BAT/Jensen coupling capacitors in the VK 60 today with .22 teflon V-caps.the amp sounds better with the V-caps cold straight out of the box than it did with the Jensens. It should sound stellar after several hundred hours of burn in  8) thanks....WCW III
-- Frank Zappa

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007, 07:01:13 AM »
I replaced the .22 BAT/Jensen coupling capacitors in the VK 60 today with .22 teflon V-caps.the amp sounds better with the V-caps cold straight out of the box than it did with the Jensens. It should sound stellar after several hundred hours of burn in  8) thanks....WCW III

you got that right. According to Cris Van Hauss of VH it takes 500 hours for those babies to break in. I used them in a Buffer and man it was torture. At 350 hours I was ready to remove them. I called Chris to inform him of my displeasure with the sonud at 350 hours. He told me to hang in ther for 500 hours. Glad I did. The difference was well worth the wait. Better everything. IMO for that kind of money they should be broken in at the factory or dealer. I now use a Duotech cable break in device to break in any new cap as per Steve Rochlin of Enjoy The Music.com. Works great. Good luck with the caps IMO you will not be sorry you changed.

rollo
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 08:07:55 AM by rollo »
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Bunky

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2007, 05:20:47 PM »
I am at 100 hr's of burn in and the low level detail is really unbelieveable and the earlier forwardness is quickly subsiding. These caps are the hot ticket for a detail Junky like myself.  :drool: I cant even fathom how good this amplifier will sound after 500 hr's WOW! thanks....WCW III
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 06:30:05 PM by Bunky »
-- Frank Zappa

Blue

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2007, 01:31:55 PM »
I'm hanging on to the Jensens in case you change your mind.  :rofl:
« Last Edit: September 02, 2007, 01:35:24 PM by Blue »

Offline Bunky

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2007, 02:08:11 PM »
I'm hanging on to the Jensens in case you change your mind.  :rofl:
Hey Mike,it is a very safe bet that i wont be needing the Jensen's.when the weather get's cooler and the used Audio market picks up i am going to sell a few of the pieces of gear that i have Lying around here to finance the purchase of another VK 60 and four more .22 V-caps so i can do that modded 120W monoblock thing  :drool: .again thanks Mike ! ....WCW III
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 04:46:40 AM by Bunky »
-- Frank Zappa

Offline Bunky

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2007, 11:24:04 AM »
I am right near the 500 hour mark with the .22 V-cap TFTF Reference Grade capacitors installed in my VK60.The TFTF's transformed the sonic's of my BAT VK60 from a catapillar to a butterfly  :drool:.They were very expensive capacitors but if they were four times as costly they would still be well worth the expense based on how the VK60 sounds now Vs when it used the stock  BAT/Jensen coupling capacitors. this confirms to me that all of the testimonials about the V-cap's on the manufacturers website that almost sounded too good to be true were in fact right on the money!thanks....WCW III
-- Frank Zappa

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2007, 06:25:03 PM »
I'm just finishing up my first full week breaking in my new Statement Mod SB3 with the Teflon VH caps on the output (not to mention Blackgates too).  After approx 150 hours, there has been a considerable amount of Jekyll and Hyde going on but at this point, the sound is absolutely seductive.  They're going to take a lot more than the OIMP VH's in my preamp did.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

mgalusha

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2007, 07:04:56 PM »
They definitely take a while in a low voltage circuit like the SB but I agree, they are so worth it. I replaced the Sonicap Platinums in my SB2 with the V-Caps and have zero desire to go back to the Sonicaps, which I had no complaints about until I put in the V-Caps. I'm going to be building a combo SB/Power supply into a larger case for a gentleman and he's got a pair of Mundorf SIO for the main caps and I'm going to bypass them with the V-Caps. I can't wait to hear how that turns out. :)

Mike

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2007, 06:30:34 AM »
Actually the Mundorf, V-cap combp works very well. Good luck.

rollo

mgalusha

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2007, 12:35:07 PM »
Actually the Mundorf, V-cap combp works very well.

I'm sure it does, just be interesting to hear how it compares with the Sonicap/Sonicap Platinum combo or the Sonicap/V-Cap combo. He's dropping his modded SB2 and BODLER Ultimate PS off in a couple of hours, so I get to start on the new project. Should turn out nice. :)

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2007, 08:06:32 PM »
Mike
Any thoughts if V-caps would be feasible for my CIA D200's? That might be an interesting project down the road
Nick

Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS