Author Topic: Speaker Optrions  (Read 3457 times)

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
Speaker Optrions
« on: December 11, 2021, 01:49:15 PM »
So I am looking at whats out there and considering size budget and room etc I am looking at revel Performa 206, 208, 228Be. Also Focak Aria 926, and Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Baby Grand. I am trying to avoid a hyper detailed speaker and prefer 8 ohm as I am using it with a tube amp. For example I was considering Dynaudio but they drop to o2.7 ohms and that does not sound tube friendly. You thoughts on any of these speakers or brands house sound is much appreciated.
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Speaker Optrions
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2021, 02:08:28 PM »
Don’t have any experience with these, but am wondering what price range these are in?
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline malloy

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • no grave concern for repercussion
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2021, 03:03:23 PM »
I have not heard any Revels lately, but the Focal house sound has always been bright, clear, super detailed, and forward - from experience. These might be alright with the correct amp or cables, though. Not my cup of tea. A bit too detailed for me.

The Vienna Acoustics house sound is much more laid back and to my liking. I heard one of the older floorstanding Vienna's at a show many years ago, and they all seem to have the same house sound. Great midrange and more polite, which for some, might mean too polite. I have the Haydn Jubilee - same house sound. Great timbre with no harshness. Sounds like an original Epos ES-11, but with better highs and bottom end.

As to ease of being driven, I think any of these are easier to drive than Dynaudios(?) Maybe.

Paul

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2021, 03:31:20 PM »
Don’t have any experience with these, but am wondering what price range these are in?

Mid 3000 used or 6000 new
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2021, 05:58:16 PM »
I have not heard any Revels lately, but the Focal house sound has always been bright, clear, super detailed, and forward - from experience. These might be alright with the correct amp or cables, though. Not my cup of tea. A bit too detailed for me.

The Vienna Acoustics house sound is much more laid back and to my liking. I heard one of the older floorstanding Vienna's at a show many years ago, and they all seem to have the same house sound. Great midrange and more polite, which for some, might mean too polite. I have the Haydn Jubilee - same house sound. Great timbre with no harshness. Sounds like an original Epos ES-11, but with better highs and bottom end.

As to ease of being driven, I think any of these are easier to drive than Dynaudios(?) Maybe.

Paul
The oilcan resonance of the tweeter has always been a problem.  Why they drive the  1" diameter inverted with a 9/16"diameter voice coil is atotal mystery to me.  It causes the breakup mode at around 24K and that modulates the 12K response and that is a crappy place to have IMD.  I know.  I fought it for a couple of years with a pair of speakers Ibuilt back around 1998. I loved them but when I went to an all digital system, they had to go.  Then I found the Scanspeak  D2905-9500 and it changed my life... for a while  :D
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline Jack

• Certifiable
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2021, 06:09:10 PM »
Every thing on your list would be considered forward sounding except the Vienna Acoustics. 
JVC QL-Y7 w/ Denon DL-301 Mk II
Vista Phono II
Jays Audio CDT3 Mk III
Supratek Cabernet
Kinki Studio EX-B7's
Holo Audio May KTE
Auralic Aries G1
Verity Otello
(2) Rythmik F12SE
TWL PC's
Audio Envy IC, PC, SC
Inakustik USB, I2S
PSA Stellar P3
Uberbuss

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2021, 06:12:10 PM »
Where does the aerial acoustics 6t fall in?

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2021, 06:47:53 PM »
Where does the aerial acoustics 6t fall in?
The ScanSpeak Discovery drivers used in the Aeriel speakers are all very smooth and musical in sound.  I haven't heard the 6T, but if they share the family sonics as the 10T they should be very good.
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2021, 09:46:05 AM »
  Jim Qln Prestige 1. Come on over and check it out. In your price range with a rich natural presentation from the Scanspeak drivers made for Qln. We have them set up in Astoria.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2021, 12:07:43 PM »
i like focal speakers; never found them too hyper detailed, even w/their metal tweets.  wilson audio; that's a different story - way too hyper detailed, imo. it's the voicing, not just the material of the driver, imo.  and i also have enjoyed all the aerial acoustics speakers i've heard, which included the 10t and some smaller iterations.

but, if your budget is $6k new, why not $6k used?  a few years ago, i heard horning eufrodite's in a really large room at caf - best sound at the show, bar none.  even the low end was great, and i typically need subs.  this is an earlier pair, w/four woofers/side in isobaric layout instead of the later iteration's four in transmission line configuration.  but if you're patient, you may find a later pair within your budget.
https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lisae81b-horning-hybrid-euphrodite-full-range?refsource=hifishark

the latest iteration also has updated full-range driver and rounded cabinet; i suspect it's even better...  this pair has been f/s for ~6 months...
https://www.hifi-forsale.co.uk/moreinfo7.php?prod_title=Horning_Eufrodite_Ellipse_PM_65&p=&prod_id=92907&q=horning&offset=

i'd also consider used piegas; my ~20 year old p5 mkii ltd's still are fantastic; i'd imagine their newer iterations are even better. like these:
https://www.audio-markt.de/market/piega-piega-coax-702-2787754755

now, if you want to consider new, these are getting rave reviews, and if they're anything like the philharmonic 3's, which their designer dennis murphy says they are, w/exception of only extending extending down to 25hz instead of 20hz, then i'd say these are a bargain even at new retail pricing.  the similarly priced phil-3's i heard at the same caf show as the eufrodites, were the 2nd best sound of the show; much better than, for example the almost 3 times more expensive salk soundscape 8's, which were also in a better room and fronted by much higher priced gear.  the latest philharmonic audio bmr towers; retailing for $3700/pair:
https://www.philharmonicaudio.com

doug s.

Mid 3000 used or 6000 new

Doug, I always confuse people the way I state my budget. So for the performance I am looking at I see that I have to spend at least 6k. To get something I would be happy with in the preowned market at least 3k. Now true my budget was 6k either way. It just so happens I purchased a pair of Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Baby Grand and got a very good price because the grill cloth had a tear in it. I plan to redo the grills and they will be very nice. Ive never heard these and they were below my budget so I hope I am going to like them lol. When I looked at spending more money for an extra 3-4 thousand it wasn't much of a step up if any so I just decided to go with it.

Offline Folsom

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2021, 05:40:59 AM »
IMO avoiding hyper detail means going vintage. But most vintage sucks, have to get the right ones.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2021, 07:26:06 AM »
IMO avoiding hyper detail means going vintage. But most vintage sucks, have to get the right ones.

Not necessarily, Vandersteen comes to mind...

Offline Folsom

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2021, 07:44:56 PM »
Not to mine  :rofl:

Offline Jack

• Certifiable
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2021, 08:08:12 PM »
A new pair of Vandersteen 2CE Sig III's would be a great choice fitting both your stated preference to avoid hyper detail and would be driven easily by your tube amp.  I drove a pair of earlier 2CE Sigs easily with the Music Reference RM-10. Were it me I would ignore the constant naysayers who seem to have a lot of opinions but no suggestions or options.  As for "vintage speakers", the best of the bunch are well over priced in todays market and wouldn't be a match for your gear anyway. 
JVC QL-Y7 w/ Denon DL-301 Mk II
Vista Phono II
Jays Audio CDT3 Mk III
Supratek Cabernet
Kinki Studio EX-B7's
Holo Audio May KTE
Auralic Aries G1
Verity Otello
(2) Rythmik F12SE
TWL PC's
Audio Envy IC, PC, SC
Inakustik USB, I2S
PSA Stellar P3
Uberbuss

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2021, 08:15:16 PM »
Oops, Ok so I ended up with the Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Baby Grand. Very good speaker that is NOT IN YOUR FACE. Its laid back easy listening. Allows me to work stress free on my own speakers.