Author Topic: Receptacles... What works and why?  (Read 23974 times)

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
Re: Receptacles... What works and why?
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2016, 04:52:52 AM »

Dave,

Will be installing a NCF receptacle this weekend, replacing a GTX(Gold)...

Cheers,
Pete
OK, Petah.  Time's getting close to weighing in on your findings.

Whatcha hear?

Not ready?  We'll wait...  Tick, tick, tick...

Dave,
Got side-tracked & I didn't install it yet... However, it currently resides in my high power audiodharma Cable Cooker for a preliminary "burn-in"... Will advise...

Cheers,
Pete
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2016, 09:58:53 PM »

Dave,

Cheers,
Pete
OK, Petah.  Time's getting close to weighing in on your findings.

Whatcha hear?

Not ready?  We'll wait...  Tick, tick, tick...

Dave,
Got side-tracked & I didn't install it yet... However, it currently resides in my high power audiodharma Cable Cooker for a preliminary "burn-in"... Will advise...

Cheers,
Pete
Cool.. 8)
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline Werd

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2016, 08:26:29 AM »
I currently have 20 amp Levitrons from your hardware store.

What's every ones thought on the entry level PS Audio receptacles? Better? Same?

They are installed in a dedicated circuit for my music room so that part is good! :)
PS Audio uses nickel plating on their receptacles which is something that I find curious.  It is magnetic and has only 22% the conductivity of tough pitch copper.  It is normally used in receptacles that are exposed to reactive atmospheres for copper.  Had a pair.  Not my cup of tea.  A little on the hard and hazy side in my system at the time.

Nickel plating is the bane of all SS.  Maybe we are stuck with it in our toroidals but that plating over copper (everywhere else) is its problem.

All complaints about SS can be routed back to the use of that plating. Sterile, unemotional, dry,  bright are all symptoms of nickel plating.

Get rid of it! I hate that shit.
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Précis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2016, 11:07:52 AM »
Anybody know here where I can get power cord connects (male) rated in 240V that are not covered in nickel plating?   :thumb:.

Remove the nickel yourself:
"Alkaline non-cyanide metal stripping technology also provides a means for the removal of both electrolytic and electroless nickel deposits from steel, brass, copper and zinc die castings. Typically, these process solutions consist of an amine compound to complex or chelate the nickel metal being brought into solution, an oxidizing agent and ingredients to accelerate the stripping action while promoting passivation of the base material. Unlike their cyanide counterparts, these alkaline non-cyanide processes generally run at elevated temperatures (140–195°F) and have a much faster stripping rate. Additionally, some processes are very effective in removing high-phosphorous electroless nickel deposits."

quote taken from here: http://www.pfonline.com/articles/stripping-of-plated-finishes

You could send the parts to a reputable plating firm who already has the baths setup. Like http://www.paulschrome.com/

Offline jessearias

• Certifiable
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2016, 03:58:50 PM »
PS Audio is out.

What do people think about the Shunyata SR-Z1  High content copper brass for a basic receptacle?

I have seen good reviews on these as well Oyaide XXX, DX and GX

XXX Paladium over gold
DX, GX Rhodium over silver

Opinions? Thoughts?
Parasound A21, Parasound JC2BP, Oppo 205 BR/SACD Disc Player, Marantz ST6000 Tuner, GoldenEar Triton 2 speakers and Supersub XXL, Triode Wire Labs interconnects, power cables and speaker wire, PI Audio Uber, Mini and Digibuss, Border Patrol DAC

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2016, 01:45:16 PM »
  How bad can it be ? I would ask if it has a sound character. Meaning warm ? bright ? Neutral ? Then it becomes economics.
   I like the VOODOO Cryo all copper receptacle and Furutech rhodium over bronze. Both are excellent. However the bang for the buck is Pass & Seymor  by PIAudio.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline _Scotty_

• “Sic transit gloria mundi”
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2016, 08:51:12 PM »
Nickel adds a gritty, hashy quality to the sound compared to its absence. This improves some what if a demagnetizing device is used on the part like a bulk magnetic tape eraser.
 Nickel plating is not impossible to avoid if you use direct gold plated connectors and jacks in your gear and cabling.
 Nickel alloy in an AC transformer core is an entirely different application and it would very difficult blame it for a problem particularly if a transformer using a nickel alloy in its core sounded better than one without it.
Scotty

Offline rpf

« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2016, 10:49:53 PM »
PS Audio is out.

What do people think about the Shunyata SR-Z1  High content copper brass for a basic receptacle?

I have seen good reviews on these as well Oyaide XXX, DX and GX

XXX Paladium over gold
DX, GX Rhodium over silver

Opinions? Thoughts?

I had Oyaide Gold & Rhodium outlets when they first came out. I hated the Rhodium and wasn't that impressed with the Gold compared to croy'd Hubbell 5362s.

The Furutech GTX Gold and Rhodium are very good. Better than the Hubbell 5362, and Furutech FPX Gold and Cu.

Charley is right about the PI Audio polished Pass & Seymour 5362A being a fantastic moderate priced receptacle.
Mac Mini>Singxer SU-1>Lampizator Amber II>Rogue Cronus Magnum>Aural Acoustics Model B.
TWL PCs; Audio Envy ICs & SCs; Purist Digital IC; PI Audio USB Cable and Buss-Stop.
Sonos Connect, iFi SPDIF iPurifier, Schiit Modi Multibit, Audioengine 5+

Offline Werd

• Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2016, 11:33:45 AM »
Anybody know here where I can get power cord connects (male) rated in 240V that are not covered in nickel plating?   :thumb:.

Remove the nickel yourself:
"Alkaline non-cyanide metal stripping technology also provides a means for the removal of both electrolytic and electroless nickel deposits from steel, brass, copper and zinc die castings. Typically, these process solutions consist of an amine compound to complex or chelate the nickel metal being brought into solution, an oxidizing agent and ingredients to accelerate the stripping action while promoting passivation of the base material. Unlike their cyanide counterparts, these alkaline non-cyanide processes generally run at elevated temperatures (140–195°F) and have a much faster stripping rate. Additionally, some processes are very effective in removing high-phosphorous electroless nickel deposits."

quote taken from here: http://www.pfonline.com/articles/stripping-of-plated-finishes

You could send the parts to a reputable plating firm who already has the baths setup. Like http://www.paulschrome.com/

This is good info, although I would be more incline to Drevel off the nickel and then apply a gold plating. Or just polish up the copper. Some stuff is really hard to reach. If the toroidal is nickel then all the run off cable will be too. You do not see it because it's covered by cable jackets.

This all came apparent when I inserted my Furutech GTX gold into an outlet position on my Torus. Even using cheap 12 gauge solid-core home -wiring from Home Depot moved it away from nickel sounding. Anyone with a Torus or a Bryston Conditioner should re wire the outlet cables and junk the supplied power cables. Including IEC inlets and all wiring, fuse sockets and fuses. The whole thing actually....lol. I have yet to do the IEC and fuse sockets but I plan on it. It's all nickel including the fuse platings. Cheap stuff and why generic cabling is junk. Makes a good case for aftermarket cabling.
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Précis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2016, 06:01:34 PM »

Dave,

Cheers,
Pete
OK, Petah.  Time's getting close to weighing in on your findings.

Whatcha hear?

Not ready?  We'll wait...  Tick, tick, tick...

Dave,

Cheers,
Pete
Cool.. 8)

Finally got around to installing a new NCF receptacle this weekend, replacing a gold GTX, after cooking the NCF receptacle in my Cable Cooker for ~ 3 weeks...

Wow, not a subtle change... Definitely noticeable... More of everything... a bit more bass and bit more airy highs & details... NOT hi-fi sounding since everything remained balanced, unlike normally plated (much cheaper) Rhodium connectors, which accent the highs in an unnatural way...

Furutech is definitely onto something with these NCF receptacles. I understand the technology & have used it in a few of my designs but they really "have it down"... I'm impressed...

BTW, I haven't been a huge fan of rhodium-plated components in the past (& still not a fan), but to my ears, premium Furutech & premium Cardas rhodium-plated components sound excellent. Both of these companies know what they're doing...

My $0.02,
Pete
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Innuos Statement Server
UberBUSS

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2016, 08:04:54 PM »

[/quote]

Finally got around to installing a new NCF receptacle this weekend, replacing a gold GTX, after cooking the NCF receptacle in my Cable Cooker for ~ 3 weeks...

Wow, not a subtle change... Definitely noticeable... More of everything... a bit more bass and bit more airy highs & details... NOT hi-fi sounding since everything remained balanced, unlike normally plated (much cheaper) Rhodium connectors, which accent the highs in an unnatural way...

Furutech is definitely onto something with these NCF receptacles. I understand the technology & have used it in a few of my designs but they really "have it down"... I'm impressed...

BTW, I haven't been a huge fan of rhodium-plated components in the past (& still not a fan), but to my ears, premium Furutech & premium Cardas rhodium-plated components sound excellent. Both of these companies know what they're doing...

My $0.02,
Pete
[/quote]Yeah, an ear blower, huh!? 

All of those years I kept going back and trying rhodium just reinforced my general disdain for that finish.  I got into several semi-heated discussions about it and frankly, I was wrong.  Don't get me wrong it is certainly not the perfect finish.  It "can be" a tad on the sterile side.  For me, 70% rhodium, 20% gold, 5% unobtainium would be ideal.  I'm not sure what the "unobtainium" might be. 

All I know is that the Furutech rhodium is the schiznitz for major electrical connections.  For some systems combos of gold and rhodium cand yield amazing results.

Next up?  Custom surface finishes on Furutech beryllium copper parts/pieces.
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline rpf

« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2016, 03:04:43 PM »

Pete, Dave; how does the GTX-R NCF compare with the GTX-R?

I've listened to several outlets recently in my new Digi-Buss and Buss-Stop, (more on these later) and wall: Pass & Seymour croy'd 5362, polished, croy'd P&S 5362, Furutech FPX Cu, FPX Gold, GTX Rhodium, GTX Gold.

I found the Pass & Seymour croy'd 5362 in my various Busses (including in my now departed Mini-Buss) to be a solid outlet that does not do any harm and I actually preferred Dave’s polished and croy'd version to the FPX Cu, which seemed to be very slightly harsh in comparison. I did prefer the FPX Gold to both of them in tonal accuracy, the main difference between these receptacles.

The GTX outlets are, as everyone has stated, significantly superior to these others. They are more resolving, more dimensional and more tonally accurate, with the rhodium version having a bit more emphasis on leading edge transients and greater soundstage depth and detail. At first I thought it was thus the best receptacle. But, with extended close listening, I find the GTX Rhodium - on some material - to have a slight touch of the glare and "glaze" that have always been prominent on inferior rhodium connectors. I found having one GTX rhodium in a system with multiple receptacles does provide some additional clarity without any drawbacks even though I prefer having most of my gear into the GTX gold.

Given that much of the quality of the GTXs is supposed to be due to the high level of polishing, and given that I have always preferred un-plated copper connectors for their tonal accuracy, I asked Dave if he would polish the FPX Cu as he had the P&S. He kindly did so and the result was clarity, resolution, and tonal accuracy that easily surpasses the polished P&S & the Furutech FPX Gold in direct comparison (same wall outlet location with the identical  configuration of Digi-Buss > Buss-Stop > the wall receptacle).

I then switched my amp from the GTX Gold in the Buss-Stop to the polished FPX Cu in the wall. More wow. A small increase in dynamics (because of the outlet, or because of going direct into the wall instead of into the Buss-Stop? I don't know) but, again, even more tonal accuracy and resolution.

Although I couldn't compare them directly (yet; I hope to do so in the future) I suspect the polished FPX Cu is superior to both of the GTXs.
Mac Mini>Singxer SU-1>Lampizator Amber II>Rogue Cronus Magnum>Aural Acoustics Model B.
TWL PCs; Audio Envy ICs & SCs; Purist Digital IC; PI Audio USB Cable and Buss-Stop.
Sonos Connect, iFi SPDIF iPurifier, Schiit Modi Multibit, Audioengine 5+

Offline jessearias

• Certifiable
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2016, 08:33:04 AM »
I just installed Dave's cryo'ed and polished Pass & Seymour 5362 Receptacles in my wall outlets and they are solid performers. Just waiting on the mailman to deliver my TWL cables and power cords to complete the transformation. The icing will be one of Dave's Buss Stops to handle all the digital stuff.

I had a great time at AXPONA and got to meet Triode Pete. That place is worse than going to the drag races.  :-P Just makes you want to soup up your stereo system even more.  :) I have a hard enough time trying not to soup up the cars all the time.  :shock: Like my dad always says, son, you have two of the most expensive hobbies.  :)
Parasound A21, Parasound JC2BP, Oppo 205 BR/SACD Disc Player, Marantz ST6000 Tuner, GoldenEar Triton 2 speakers and Supersub XXL, Triode Wire Labs interconnects, power cables and speaker wire, PI Audio Uber, Mini and Digibuss, Border Patrol DAC

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2016, 12:00:07 PM »
I just installed Dave's cryo'ed and polished Pass & Seymour 5362 Receptacles in my wall outlets and they are solid performers. Just waiting on the mailman to deliver my TWL cables and power cords to complete the transformation. The icing will be one of Dave's Buss Stops to handle all the digital stuff.

I had a great time at AXPONA and got to meet Triode Pete. That place is worse than going to the drag races.  :-P Just makes you want to soup up your stereo system even more.  :) I have a hard enough time trying not to soup up the cars all the time.  :shock: Like my dad always says, son, you have two of the most expensive hobbies.  :)

Hey Jesse,
Great to meet you at AXPONA, too!  :thumb: I hope you enjoyed yourself!
BTW, your cables shipped today!

Cheers,
Pete
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Innuos Statement Server
UberBUSS