Author Topic: She likes it  (Read 9046 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
She likes it
« on: March 29, 2007, 06:15:31 PM »
I'm sitting in the office reading about TI PCA2311 volume control IC, minding my own business, when I hear music playing in the living room.  My wife plays a track of Luciano Pavarotti singing Nessun Dorma from Turandot opera on the SB. Then she played it again. Then she comes into the office all excited, "With these [new amps] the singer is not coming out of the speakers, he's standing right in the middle!!!!"  I said, yes dear, that is called imaging, and good amps do that better. That's one reason why I bought them for you. ;) I started to explain what other aspects of soundstaging she could listen for and learn to appreciate, but she turned on her heels and sat down to listen again, this time a few dB louder. Then silence. She comes back in saying, "This record player works, right?" I said, "Yes dear." "Great!" She turned on her heels and went up the stairs.

Down she comes with her copy of Madame Butterfly on vinyl. She hasn't played it in 20 years. She yells into the office, "How do you switch it to the record player?" I said, "That's what I'm reading about, how to build a preamp since I'm supposedly cut off from spending anymore on the stereo." I showed her how to swap input cables on the amps. She started laughing halfway through the process when I said "THIS is why WE need a preamp so you can play your opera recordings without my help." I tried to rub in the 'me helping' part, she likes to be independent. I don't remember hearing any response to the preamp proposal.

So, now the Madame Butterfly is playing at a rather high volume level. I expect to hear three more sides before she comes back in to thank me for enabling her musical bliss, or please do the dishes, or something. Lights are down, kids are in bed, wife is digging the hifi, life is good!

WEEZ

She likes it
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 06:24:47 PM »
Are you referring to the Manley's?

That Shrimp is no 'slouch'...no phono, though. Grab 8th Nerve's Shrimp and the Cornet 2 on e-bay quick...and for around $1700 more dollars you'll be in tube heaven :shock:

WEEZ!

Offline stereofool

• Obsessively Audiophilic
She likes it
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 07:08:21 PM »
Way to go...Rich  :D !

New 'toys'...and a happy wife...TOO!!!! How cool is that???

Keep working on her...that new preamp may not be so far away, after all  :lol: !
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

shep

She likes it
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 11:37:09 PM »
Rich I think that's called a blessing! kind of like snagging a BIG fish :D
play it in nice and easy... :wink:

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
She likes it
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 07:25:57 AM »
WAF +1

Enjoy those points - they're hard to get.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

miklorsmith

She likes it
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 07:44:48 AM »
Good for you!  Maybe you'll be able to have some quiet times listening to music where BOTH of you are enthralled.

Offline Woodsyi

• Seeking Help
She likes it
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 08:26:58 AM »
I bet she only listened to 2 tracks -- one fine day and the wedding night duet!  It's great that you got your wife to want a preamp.  Vintage opera sounds so much better on LPs than SB.  Good to see other Opera buffs.
I am a nut.

Offline richidoo

She likes it
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2007, 08:35:48 AM »
Yeah, snappers, with Bellari tube phono pre direct to amps via anticable ICs. It did sound pretty good, and I don't even have the zeroformers back installed from the meet yet, I am so lazy!

After I signed off, she quit listening after the second side. Saying the needle sounded crappy. HA! I have done it! I am victorious! She has the sickness! It is all over. I will nurture this disease and work it to my advantage. What else is new.  :twisted:

I showed her a brand new Shure M97xe still in box, that I have been procrastinating installing for 18 months because we never used LPs. I will install it today.

WEEZ, I am sorely tempted to go for the Nathans Shrimp, but my dealer has a new one coming in a few weeks and I will compare that to a couple others like AVA and Placette. I have to bide by my creed not to buy things I haven't heard. I also have about 40 gallons of paint and stain to spread before anymore stereo buys.

I did find out that Snappers SE input impedence is 450kohms! And Shrimps output Z is only 50ohms! The preamp uses similar circuit as input stage in the amp so they should compliment if you like that fire dragon sound. Actually it is fading to smoothness as break in continues. That guy Mitch designer at Manley is a genius. His owner's manuals online are interesting reading about this designs. The two should match well anyway, then I might add placette as remote volume control later.

Meantime I hope to build a couple versions of homemade preamp to learn something. I have a Rod Elliot preamp PCB, and Mike mgalusha is posting a design of a tube preamp that looks great. And that TI PCA2311 volume control chip datasheet looks amazing!!!! I might just try that as an exercise in logic illogic, like a rubix cube. I think a preamp might be easier and safer first project than a poweramp, which I no longer need anyway...

Sorry for babbling - Time to paint

Offline Inscrutable

• Certifiable
She likes it
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007, 12:07:27 PM »
Rich,

Love the story!  Same thing happened with my better half when I had single driver and SET setup.  Probably go back to that in one setup someday.

If you want to either drive her nuts ... or make your purchase requests seem eminently reasonable, you can borrow my Oracle/Koetsu (or Rega/Denon if you want to play something a tad better through your Bellari (Koetsu needs a MC stage).  Always happy to serve as a bad example to make you look responsible  :)

PS  Hated to miss your get together .. got back really late ... hopefully raincheck available.

Offline richidoo

She likes it
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2007, 06:02:02 PM »
I heard my first taste of SET/fostex last week at Lensman's. I'm a full ranger at heart, but yeah, there's definitely something to that SET thing! Wild!

I am always looking for ways to drive my wife nuts. It's my only hope of staying sane. 15 years coming up in May. Yikes! I should buy her that pretty little brass Kuzma Stabi for her anniversary present. "What's this thing? Another bedroom toy?" "You said you loved listening to your records! I was just trying to get you something you would really love. And it is your big anniversary so you deserve something really special. I guess I reeeallly screwed up bad. I'm sorry dear." "Aww shucks...OK... It is pretty. How much was it?" "Ahh, let's toast to 15 more wonderful years...."

You think your TTs are "bad" (in the Michael Jackson sense) Wait til you here my Technics and new Shure cartridge. It will literally bring tears to your eyes.  :wink:

I would love to hear your rig. Lets get going on your attic!!! My offer won't stand forever and it's gonna start getting hot up there! I have heard a lot about that Oracle TT. Would love to hear it. Never heard a high end TT before. Saw an H-RX last summer, but not setup to play. DRAT!

We had a good time last weekend, with some real heavyweight audiophiles. I felt like a babe in diapers, but I learned a lot. We missed you. More coming up soon.
Rich

miklorsmith

She likes it
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2007, 07:39:25 AM »
Don't get started on SET.  Forget that ever happened.

Offline richidoo

She likes it
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2007, 06:44:45 PM »
What SET? :-#

Offline bmr3hc

• Certifiable
She Likes It
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2007, 07:46:48 PM »
Rich, you must be getting slow these days.... I would have figured you to have the Pre-amp there and hooked up ( in disguise) for a demonstration at a moment notice of excitement from the wife....missed opportunities can be more expensive. " Honey, I will agree on the preamp if I can get that new car!
"If music be the food of love, play on."  Shakespeare

miklorsmith

She likes it
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2007, 07:32:40 AM »
The SET/Fostex rig you heard - don't go down that slope, it's slippery and you might slide down permanently.   :D

Offline richidoo

She likes it
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2007, 07:48:36 AM »
bmr, I will have to remember that next time.  She was listening to new amps, though, so at least those got the nod.

Mike, I love the tone of that system on trumpet and singers, but for anything lower than 200Hz, or higher than 3000Hz, I could not be totally satisfied. I am a full ranger to the end. Clean 25Hz at 95dB has ruined me.  :twisted: