Author Topic: tube power Amp based 2 Channel rig  (Read 6160 times)

Offline Bunky

• Obsessively Audiophilic
tube power Amp based 2 Channel rig
« on: January 28, 2007, 06:57:05 AM »
I am considering building a second two channel rig that uses a tube power Amplifier.i have considered buying used tube Amps by reputable companies such as BAT,Sonicfrontiers  etc....my personal preference seems to be more emphasis on detail and speed and less on the euphonic syrupy sound of some of the older tube Amplifier designs. i am also considering tube friendly loudspeakers like the Silverline Sonata's or Sonatina's or something from Green Mountain Audio perhaps. i am asking for opinions and suggestions on what gear would be appropriate for my tastes from people who have been there and done that.i am also considering using a decent turntable with this second rig and could use guidance with choosing a turntable as well. thanks....WCW III
Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best.
-- Frank Zappa

chadh

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 10:39:45 AM »
I'm probably not the "experienced voice" you were looking for.  But from what I've heard, the Vaughn Carina is excellent.  And there's one for sale on AC: http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/index.php?topic=36377.0  (I have no association with the seller).

Chad

WEEZ

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 11:12:42 AM »
What Bill Baker does with his 3205 is quite impressive. Smooth and relaxed...yet very transparent. No syrup.

opnly bafld

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 11:28:12 AM »
Quote from: "WEEZ"
What Bill Baker does with his 3205 is quite impressive. Smooth and relaxed...yet very transparent. No syrup.

I second this, especially if you are pairing it with speakers like the ones mentioned that can use the extra power a PP provides.

SAS Audio Labs also has very nice 25w PP monoblocks that will drive many speakers for around $2500 IIRC.

Lin :D

Marbles

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 11:46:28 AM »
Dodd 120 amps (buy used) seem to be exactley what you are looking for.

opnly bafld

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 01:42:09 PM »
How could I forget, I own one, McAlister Audio has an SE32 15w/ch $899, an SE 44 22w/ch $1400, and a PP150 75w/ch $1300.
Great sounding amps, if you are not in a hurry.

Lin :D

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2007, 07:42:33 PM »
If 24wpc is enough, I would highly recommend the Eastern Electric integrated amp.  I think it's exactly what you've described and has a lot of flexibility to get it 'dialed-in' to your configuration and tastes.
Take a look here.

I haven't heard a lot of the others suggested but I've had some real 'face-time' with this amp and enjoyed all of it.

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

thechairguy

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2007, 07:26:30 PM »
I'm not sure you can get a poor-sounding (unless defective) tube amp with 6V6 outputs.....this Dared seems to be a doozy:

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/auc.pl?ampstube&1170643170

18 watts only, but the 6V6's clip so wonderfully you may not care if you have reasonably efficient speakers and or small/medium room to work with. When the 'crunch' is even nice sounding - ya' gotta' love it.

Mapletree makes 6v6 mono power amps, too for about a grand (per pair). But, they are only 10 watts . My 10 watt 6V6 amps power (tube friendly minimalist crossover) 87db speakers with plenty left to spare in a 12 x 15' room.  They do tend towards 'plump'....but CD needs all the plumpness you can give it.

gonefishin

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2007, 06:31:18 PM »
I would really urge you to wait!  Take your time...and don't make a decision until you are dead set on a pair of speakers.   I'm talking that you don't make a decision on the tube amp until your ready to purchase the speakers.

The Sonatina's and Sonata's are nice sounding speakers (how big is the room?) that are "tube friendly.  Depending on your requirements you have a wide range of choices for tube amps (SET and PP).  But who knows what you are going to do.  A 45 based amp, 300b, 2A3, PP???  

You may end up going with tube friendly speakers, but you may not.  Who knows what will come your way?  I'd vote for waiting.

have fun,
  dan