Author Topic: Mulligan / Desmond - Two of a Mind  (Read 3286 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Mulligan / Desmond - Two of a Mind
« on: May 06, 2012, 11:37:51 AM »

I love this record. Two of my favorite jazz soloists, playing standards at their career peaks. Mulligan is especially strong here, maybe his strongest playing on record. Great band. Recording quality is VG, nice live room recording, natural analog reverb on horns while bass and drums do with room only, great mics. No proximity effect on the bari nor presence boost. But the horns are panned too far out as typical in the early days of stereo...

The two quote each other's compositions and solos from previous famous records they have made. They harmonize and compliment each other perfectly. No piano, only drums and bass. AWESOME!   There are some other albums of these two, I don't have those yet. I only discovered this record last summer when visiting Rob S in WV, going to hear his friend's Maggie Tympanies and pulling this out of his 10k LP collection.

This really let's Mulligan's concept of pianoless quartet reach full bloom with a horn player that can really keep up with him harmonically, and in melodic dexterity. Lacking the intricate arrangements heard with Baker this has a looser feel that is much more improvisational. To me, the in and out choruses here are even more inspired than the early quartet heads.

A must-have for any west coast jazz fans.

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
Re: Mulligan / Desmond - Two of a Mind
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 01:43:19 PM »
It just went on my list. :thumb:
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

lonewolfny42

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 02:07:41 PM »
This was another good session..... :thumb:

"Blues In Time"

Amazon Link...

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 02:25:31 PM »
Thanks Chris... I had that one on my Amazon wishlist, titled "Quartet," instead of "Blues in Time," and a little cheaper... go figure

http://www.amazon.com/Quartet-Gerry-Mulligan/dp/B0000046RP