Author Topic: New Tubes  (Read 3778 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
New Tubes
« on: May 07, 2008, 11:55:51 AM »
I was starting to get a little frustrated with the Manley Snappers. They were not as quiet as I remembered, sounded thin and edgy, even some weird noises sticking up from background. New speakers in the house revealed a less than beautiful tone.

Then a tube blew. I was relieved when it went a day after a friend flew in from Boston to audition Feastrex before placing his order. I thought it was just bad luck, tubes blow, no biggie. I ordered another from Manley. Onsies are not cheap.

I had tried a couple other brands EL34 type, but none were even close to the Groove Tubes E34Ls slightly modified copy of the original GE version. GT bought the machines and materials to copy it and they are made by JJ now. GT screens tubes to Manley's spec and paint fancy logo on the tubes. Wipee.  I tried JJ's own KT77, lush loose and very colored, Asylum guys raved about it, but it was WAY too rosy. Typical JJ noises and crooked glass was not inspiring either. Then I tried cryoed  SED EL34 (St Petersberg Svetlana).  Those were cleaner sounding than JJ, but still significant distortion and coloring. I was surprised. EL34s are made primarily for rock guitar amps, where maximum distortion is desired.  Manley's screening process picks the lowest distortion tubes of the lot.

Then another tube blew on me, it arced by chance right when I was looking at it! I replaced that one too, but finally conceded that I needed a new rack of power tubes. The sound degraded and two blown in a month were undeniable. It has only been 1 year since I bought the amps new, factory sealed, but I do tend to play them long hours. I figured they probably do 2000+ hours a year, maybe more. Manley said that was about normal life. They give a big discount if I buy 8, that was nice to find out.

The Quads really pissed them off with 79dB sensitivity and reactive load, bringing them all the way to clipping at moderate volumes.

So the new set arrived, installed biased, sounds good. Wait for break in. On the 3rd day, one of the new tubes runs away and blows a 4A fuse. I wasn't next to it to see what happened, I just noticed silence, replaced fuse and restarted whereupon the fuse blew again, but this time I saw the resistor give a puff so I knew which tube was running away. Manley says this GT batch has not been perfect. They send me a replacement and another for free just in case, along with a couple free fuses. :)  I like Manley.

Now with all the crap in the past, the 8 tubes are broken in, the amps sound AWESOME!! (again) and I have my calendar marked for Feb 09 to replace the tubes preemptively.

I still sometimes skip playing music at night or in the day when I know I will only listen for a few minutes because I know it takes time for the amps to come to temp, and cycling temp reduces tube life, blablabla. I would love a SS amp that sounded like these without the BS. But until I find it, these are great.
Thanks for reading my little tube story. ;)
haha

Rich

Offline stereofool

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: New Tubes
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 02:28:16 PM »
Rich...sorry to hear of your tube woes  :(. However, I am glad that you got your dilema resolved  :D...especially knowing how much you love listening to music.

I guess I've pretty lucky with my AR stuff...maybe the tubes aren't the best sounding ones (available), but I've never had a moments trouble with any of them...at least so far...said with fingers crossed  :rofl:.
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Offline richidoo

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 03:00:50 PM »
That's good to know. From the virtual tour I saw of ARC factory, I think they take their tube selection very seriously. Maybe that's why yours are so well behaved! I think 6550s are a very robust tube also. I loved that tube in my Cary. I think the Snappers are a little hard on tubes. I think they have a 600V plate. That's a lotta thinkin'.... haha

I would like to find an hour counter to monitor tube life without impacting power delivery. Anybody know of such a product?
Thanks
Rich

miklorsmith

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 03:46:36 PM »
Nice story!  Stupid finicky critters.

For a super low-tech solution you could put a cheap digital watch by the system.  Start the stopwatch when you turn the system on, stop it on power off.  When you get to 20 hours or whatever, put a mark on a piece of paper.

It shouldn't be too much hassle and it definitely would be accurate.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 04:20:25 PM »
That is a good idea, a little too far onto the 'nervosa' side for me though. I'm just to lazy to make that happen! 

I found this meter, but I would have to connect it inside the amp to the power switch terminals, then I guess it would dangle from wires hanging out the case. Not very elegant. I think I will just try to remember next year, that when it starts to sound like shit, just buy new tubes instead of living with it in denial for 4 months until parts start failing... :duh