Author Topic: 211 Tubes  (Read 10088 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
211 Tubes
« on: January 31, 2008, 06:15:33 PM »
  anyone familiar with the KR Audio 211 tube. Now using GE or RCA with Consonance Cyber 211. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks,

rollo
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: 211 Tubes
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 06:28:52 PM »
A friend used to work at Cary, has some funny CAD 211 stories. Nothing to repeat in public... I will ask him if he knows anything about the tubes.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 07:28:49 AM »
A friend used to work at Cary, has some funny CAD 211 stories. Nothing to repeat in public... I will ask him if he knows anything about the tubes.

Thanks richadoo.

rollo
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 03:53:21 PM »
PM sent

Summary: "The GE VT4C/211 NOS is the best."

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 05:37:45 PM »
 Thanks Richadoo.

rollo

tanchiro58

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2008, 06:00:41 AM »
Rollo,

I personally heard the United 211s are the best NOS. They are are very rare and expensive too.

Tan

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2008, 07:46:34 AM »
Rollo,

I personally heard the United 211s are the best NOS. They are are very rare and expensive too.

Tan

Yeah $1500 and more per pair. If you can find them. Amperex made one as well. Thanks Tanchiro.

rollo

rollo

doctorcilantro

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2008, 06:58:30 PM »
Just picked up some like new Cyber 211s.

Coming from push pull ...it's pretty neat, well, stunning actually.

Been researching 211/VT4C.

Seems thta United Electronics (New Jersey) had two types of 211, one with a support piece on top and on without.

I have Chinese 211s now. I would like to try RCA, United, Taylor, and GE, maybe Amperex too but these seem the rarest of the lot.

Nice to meet you all!

DC

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2008, 07:46:25 AM »
Welcome, Dr. Cilantro!  So tasty and fresh, can be spicy when heated... mmmm.  Thanks for dropping into our soup! ;)

BTW.. Do you use 211's to listen to 311?  And did you have to call 411 to find them? If they break do you call 911?  Just curious.   :roll: :lol:  Ignore me.

Seriously, let us know more about your system and what you've done... and how it sounds if you care to describe it.

Thanks,
Carl
I really enjoy listening to music.

doctorcilantro

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2008, 10:41:08 AM »
I don't listen to 311 much but I did play them for the Verizon guy (as they were at the top of my album list in J. River MC12)......as for the garnish on my monoblocks..I find that cilantro really lets the high end bloom....everything just an "organic" fell to it...you can almost taste it.

Anyway, I've been digging up info on various 211s models trying to find some deals. Tubeworld mentions the RCA as the "reference" 211 (also read elsewhere that this is a warm tube). Upscale just sells GE. Western Electric 211 version is out their but very scarce as seems to be the Amperex. United Electronics from New Jersey apparently made some solid tubes as did Taylor. I'd love to slowly collect them all and compare.

I'm using Klipsch RF7s right now (98db/w) and they stay quiet unless I crank my DAC up beyond realistic listening levels, then I can hear a little hum. My friend suggested cheater plugs but it's not bothersome right now. I run straight from a Lavry DA-10 into the amps having just sold my tube preamp and use J. River to manage and playback at 24/96 (upsampling but I do have some 24/96 material including all my vinyl rips).

Interested to have found some other cyber users; hopefully we can share experiences on biasing etc. Right now my Chinese 211s are at a little over 5volts.

DC

doctorcilantro

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2008, 03:51:32 PM »
BTW - is the KR Audio a new production 211, must be. Golden Dragon and Valve art seem to be others in production.

DC

Norm

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2008, 04:25:07 PM »
When I had a Cyber 211 amp, I tried GE, RCA, United, and Billington Golds, a new 211 tube. IMHO there was no question that the RCAs were clearly the best, United next, and then GEs. The new 211s, as usual, cannot compare. I guess it is a lost art to make vacuum tubes. As I understand it GEs and RCAs were made in the same factory although they are of quite different construction.