Author Topic: Radian LM10n planar driver and dspNexus  (Read 8595 times)

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
Re: Radian LM10n planar driver and dspNexus
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2023, 07:37:04 PM »
Nick,
Here is a picture of the Monoliths in Aegean Blue Gloss finish.  It is a Honda color that I really like.  :)

Hope the Magnetar II's turn out as well.  It really is a cool color!
Very nice!  Great color.  :thumb:
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Online HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2023, 05:59:58 AM »
Decided to try a test fit of the new Radian LM10n in The Monoliths open baffles.  They are a physical match and drop in. :)

Now to rework the dspNexus 2x8 crossover to work with these for improved dispersion characteristics!

Online HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2023, 08:25:23 AM »
Getting back to this project.

Received the new Radian Audio LT3.2 planar tweeter yesterday and with the designers help converted it to dipole operation by removing the rear cup.  They are glued on not friction fit like the BG NEO3.

They fit in the original Monoliths baffle opening for the BG NEO3, but much smaller.  So will have to see with some testing if the waveguide will still work, or modifications are needed.

Time for indoor projects now that it is getting into the 30's outside.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2023, 09:11:33 AM »
Getting back to this project.

Received the new Radian Audio LT3.2 planar tweeter yesterday and with the designers help converted it to dipole operation by removing the rear cup.  They are glued on not friction fit like the BG NEO3.

They fit in the original Monoliths baffle opening for the BG NEO3, but much smaller.  So will have to see with some testing if the waveguide will still work, or modifications are needed.

Time for indoor projects now that it is getting into the 30's outside.

Rich,

What effect does going dipole with that tweeter have on the sound? Deeper soundstage? More airy?

As to temperatures in the 30s…and below…. I could never be a cheesehead at Lambeau Stadium in Green Bay Wisconsin 🏈
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Online HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2023, 01:13:28 PM »
Nick,
The LT3.2 was developed to be used with either a monopole or dipole radiation pattern.  The standard setup is either with or without the waveguide.  This would be for a sealed cabinet speaker as the rear wave from the tweeter is absorbed by material in the rear cup.

Dipole for open baffle operation gives a more spacious sound with a figure of 8 radiation pattern that I think works well in a room, but easier to keep side wall reflections down.  Having diffusion behind the open baffle drivers adds to the ambience and gets rid of direct rear reflections that can interfere with imaging.

Fun stuff!

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2023, 07:18:28 PM »
Nick,
The LT3.2 was developed to be used with either a monopole or dipole radiation pattern.  The standard setup is either with or without the waveguide.  This would be for a sealed cabinet speaker as the rear wave from the tweeter is absorbed by material in the rear cup.

Dipole for open baffle operation gives a more spacious sound with a figure of 8 radiation pattern that I think works well in a room, but easier to keep side wall reflections down.  Having diffusion behind the open baffle drivers adds to the ambience and gets rid of direct rear reflections that can interfere with imaging.

Fun stuff!
The best reflected (rear) wave diffusion is achieved with hemispherical diffusers.  2D diffusers Rob the soundstage of height.

Ergo: Mr. T  ... thank you Trung.  :thumb:
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2023, 09:18:46 PM »
Nick,

Fun stuff!

Hi Rich,

Fun stuff, indeed and thanks much for the explanation! I’ve  not had any experience with OB, dipole, etc. Sure have led a sheltered (audio) life in some respects 🤷 Oh well…

I was fortunate to have the omni directional Shahinian Diapasons about 25 years ago. Would love to have them now just to compare with the quality equipment I have now. But those tweeters couldn’t compare to the wonderful AMT that I have now.

How does this tweeter rate as to some of your all time favorites?
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Online HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2023, 05:07:57 AM »
Nick,

Fun stuff!
The best reflected (rear) wave diffusion is achieved with hemispherical diffusers.  2D diffusers Rob the soundstage of height.

Dave,
Thanks for the addition.  Will most likely be getting Greg to make more of the Mr T's soon. 

Nick,
I will be finding out about the LT3.2 as I get them into the baffle.  If they surpass the BG NEO3-PDR tweeters in sound quality, they will be my new favorites.  The LM10n planar mid has surpassed the BG NEO10's for me in their sound quality. 

When Danny is smiling after a demo with just a pair of LM10n's and two 3x12 servo subs and we have both heard Line Force speakers in his old room, I know progress has been made. :)

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2023, 12:24:54 PM »
Nick,

Fun stuff!

Dave,
Thanks for the addition.  Will most likely be getting Greg to make more of the Mr T's soon. 

Nick,
I will be finding out about the LT3.2 as I get them into the baffle.  If they surpass the BG NEO3-PDR tweeters in sound quality, they will be my new favorites.  The LM10n planar mid has surpassed the BG NEO10's for me in their sound quality. 

When Danny is smiling after a demo with just a pair of LM10n's and two 3x12 servo subs and we have both heard Line Force speakers in his old room, I know progress has been made. :)

Rich,

That is high praise indeed if Danny likes the sound and also your comments as you’ve heard so many good speakers over the years. I am quite curious how this comes out 😊
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS