Author Topic: Trying to Put a Round peg in a Square Hole  (Read 6826 times)

Offline toobluvr

• Certifiable
Re: Trying to Put a Round peg in a Square Hole
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2021, 01:10:10 PM »

You mean like this?  A $40k speaker jammed up against a wall of windows.  See it all the time.  Soooo ridiculous!   :roll:

YES and on top of Subs besides.

charles

It's not subs.  It's a large tower with a 2-part cabinet.  Described here:

https://www.daedalusaudio.com/zeus-speaker

The fans of this mfr seem to love the look, I don't.  While the solid wood materials and craftmanship are obviously exquisite, I could never warm up to the overall look.  To my eye it presents as unbalanced and awkward and not continuous.  Just my opinion.
Spkrs: Sunny Cable Tech, Reynaud, Zu, Klipsch, Gallo subs, Wharfedale
TT1: Townshend Rock 3/OL Silver Mk3A
TT2: OL Aurora/OL Encounter Mk3C
Carts: Soundsmith Zephyr,  Music Maker 3, Dynavector xx2-Mk2, Shelter 501
complete: see Sunnydaze system on AC

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2021, 01:49:26 PM »

You mean like this?  A $40k speaker jammed up against a wall of windows.  See it all the time.  Soooo ridiculous!   :roll:

YES and on top of Subs besides.

charles

It's not subs.  It's a large tower with a 2-part cabinet.  Described here:

https://www.daedalusaudio.com/zeus-speaker

The fans of this mfr seem to love the look, I don't.  While the solid wood materials and craftmanship are obviously exquisite, I could never warm up to the overall look.  To my eye it presents as unbalanced and awkward and not continuous.  Just my opinion.

Sure looked like a sub at first glance. Can’t say I like the look either…
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2021, 11:40:50 PM »
if you want to put a round peg into a square hole, just make sure its diameter is a couple thousandths smaller than the side of the square...  8)

doug s.

Doug,
Good to have you…. and your words of wisdom and humor…. back  :thumb:
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2021, 06:35:13 AM »
if you want to put a round peg into a square hole, just make sure its diameter is a couple thousandths smaller than the side of the square...  8)

doug s.

Or just use a bigger hammer. 
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2021, 05:02:40 PM »
I'm one of those guys with a pretty decent system and a problem room.  It's big enough for big line source speakers, but it has an open end, a split alcove, tile floors,  14' glass window on half a wall, and the list goes on...
First thing in my favor, BY FAR,  is a very tolerant wife ( the most important component in my system).  So large bass traps are in place, huge absorption panels are behind the GR LS9 speakers and on the alcove.  Pi Audio diffusers are in place between the speakers, in front of the bass traps and to the side and slightly in front of the speakers.  Much of the placements were on the advice of the very knowledgeable D. Elledge.  Most of the diffusers can be put up quickly, or taken down to watch a movie with the tolerant wife. 
Is it now a great room?  No, but now it approaches the sound that Danny Richie heard when he designed them (the LS9 line sources).  I'll never spend the bucks to have a "dedicated" listening room.  But with a little help from my friends (or a lot of help), I've been lucky enough to put together something good. 

« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 07:34:11 PM by S Clark »
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2021, 05:13:41 PM »
Another look.

Grrrr.  Some guy at another site has found a way to keep me from linking a photo--- J.R.???

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;image=57075
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 05:16:34 PM by S Clark »
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2021, 06:58:53 PM »
Nah, Doug. You’re good on both in my book. Now…. on to the 2 box pre. I don’t want to jinx anything by saying the name, but does it begin with an “M” and end in “elos”?? If so, that would be amazing news!

I took a chance recently on a used 2 box Suptratek Chardonnay and it’s a terrific preamp.  Very quiet, detailed, gorgeous sounding and my first time with 6NS7 tubes. Pls post or send me a PM about that Melos when you get it.

thanks, nick.  altho some might dispute either.  or both.

here's something o.t., but interesting - there's two heavy boxes heading my way from ontario, ca.  supposedly a preamp and its power supply are in 'em.  i'll believe it when i see them.  and then we'll see if they actually work!  ;)  they were shipped out there a bit more than 2 years ago.  if they do work, then i'll have two world class preamps - maybe even rivaling what sas used to manufacture!  :D

doug s.

ps - charlie - the single most important piece of equipment in any audio system is the room.  since i was a kid, the very first thing i ever looked at, regarding any living space - from my bedroom on up - was: how can i set up an audio system? 8)

doug s.

Doug,
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2021, 07:11:28 PM »
I'm one of those guys with a pretty decent system and a problem room.  It's big enough for big line source speakers, but it has an open end, a split alcove, tile floors,  14' glass window on half a wall, and the list goes on...
First thing in my favor, BY FAR,  is a very tolerant wife ( the most important component in my system).  So large bass traps are in place, huge absorption panels are behind the GR LS9 speakers and on the alcove.  Pi Audio diffusers are in place between the speakers, in front of the bass traps and to the side and slightly in front of the speakers.  Much of the placements were on the advice of the very knowledgeable D. Elledge.  Most of the diffusers can be put up quickly, or taken down to watch a movie with the tolerant wife. 
Is it now a great room?  No, but now it approaches the sound that Danny Richie heard when he designed them.  I'll never spend the bucks to have a "dedicated" listening room.  But with a little help from my friends (or a lot of help), I've been lucky enough to put together something good. 

Hmmm, maybe we could have a contest on who has the crummier room….  :duh 
I’d love to post some pics of it here, but….. I spent two hours on the phone with a couple of Apple support techs about changing from their efficient, but not so common HEIC format to JPEG, but that’s not an acceptable format on this forum either. So, I’m looking for simple software (for Mac and iOS only) to do JPEG to JPG so that I can (finally) post pics that I have taken on this site 😳
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2021, 12:26:22 AM »
Doug,

Well, in my system right now, I can’t accuse the Supratek of being bloomy. But detailed,  engaging, rich in tone… oh yes  :thumb:  I have 2 sets of 6NS7s that were kindly sent my way and I’ll get to that soon. I need to tackle room acoustics one of these days too. Any of us who buy gear from aging, brilliant designers is always taking a chance…
I’m keeping my fingers crossed 🤞

no worries about jinxing anything.  as i said, nick, i won't believe it until it's in my system and running.  afaik, i will be getting bricks in these two boxes...

i've heard great things about supratek pre's; i actually checked them out, but i need a full function preamp - 4 sources min, plus at least 1 tape loop. and while not mandatory, i prefer a balance control. regarding the 6sn7, i had two preamps w/that tube - the rogue magnum 99, which i found WAY too bloomy, it was extremely microphonic, i had to turn off every fluorescent light when using it, and its output impedance, at ~2500 ohms, was a mismatch for my system. (maybe they've changed the specs since, but they lied about it when i had mine.)  the second was a cary slp98, which i actually found quite nice, but it couldn't hold a candle to "the preamp that shall remain nameless", but begins with 'm" and ends with "elos".  and i was hoping it wasn't the case, because i really loved the looks of the cary. 

doug s.
Nah, Doug. You’re good on both in my book. Now…. on to the 2 box pre. I don’t want to jinx anything by saying the name, but does it begin with an “M” and end in “elos”?? If so, that would be amazing news!

I took a chance recently on a used 2 box Suptratek Chardonnay and it’s a terrific preamp.  Very quiet, detailed, gorgeous sounding and my first time with 6NS7 tubes. Pls post or send me a PM about that Melos when you get it.

thanks, nick.  altho some might dispute either.  or both.

here's something o.t., but interesting - there's two heavy boxes heading my way from ontario, ca.  supposedly a preamp and its power supply are in 'em.  i'll believe it when i see them.  and then we'll see if they actually work!  ;)  they were shipped out there a bit more than 2 years ago.  if they do work, then i'll have two world class preamps - maybe even rivaling what sas used to manufacture!  :D

doug s.

ps - charlie - the single most important piece of equipment in any audio system is the room.  since i was a kid, the very first thing i ever looked at, regarding any living space - from my bedroom on up - was: how can i set up an audio system? 8)

doug s.

Doug,
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2021, 10:51:50 AM »
Many moons ago Danny Richie and Gary Dodd were sitting in my room.  Gary had just designed his battery pre and had brought the prototype out for my physics class speaker competition.  In the conversation the Supratek Chardonnay came up as model that Gary felt he had to surpass... it was the unit in the niche he aspired to best.  Even though I'd never heard one, I thought that spoke well of the unit.  I placed an order for a Dodd that evening, spending more money on stereo than I ever thought was sane.  My how times change  :oops:
One of these days I'd like to hear a Supratek
« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 10:53:23 AM by S Clark »
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2021, 12:39:49 PM »
Many moons ago Danny Richie and Gary Dodd were sitting in my room.  Gary had just designed his battery pre and had brought the prototype out for my physics class speaker competition.  In the conversation the Supratek Chardonnay came up as model that Gary felt he had to surpass... it was the unit in the niche he aspired to best.  Even though I'd never heard one, I thought that spoke well of the unit.  I placed an order for a Dodd that evening, spending more money on stereo than I ever thought was sane.  My how times change  :oops:
One of these days I'd like to hear a Supratek

I’ve heard so much about Gary and his products over the years. It was difficult to read how he was struggling with his health. I’m not sure how I first heard about the Supratek, but over time, there was a growing, positive consensus of opinions that I kept reading about. Because our member here Jack has one, I decided to take a chance and thrilled that I did.
I wish I lived closer to audio civilization and sadly, the old Las Vegas club has long since disbanded. I would sure like to listen to other gear once in a while without having to buy it.
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2021, 01:02:22 PM »
Interesting about the Audio Mirror monos. I’ve read lots about the Tubadour, but not much on the monos. Was just on the website and read he’s working on a preamp and phono. It’s amazing what some of these tubes were designed to do and how we use them now

like i told sam laufer, mark's biz partner, who's been nudging mark to make it right: "all my appendages are crossed."

re: 6sn7's i have a stash of nos rca 5692's, which my audio mirror 6c33c mono blocks use; along w/some 5691's.  maybe some day i'll break out the amps again.   :shock:

doug s.
Doug,

Well, in my system right now, I can’t accuse the Supratek of being bloomy. But detailed,  engaging, rich in tone… oh yes  :thumb:  I have 2 sets of 6NS7s that were kindly sent my way and I’ll get to that soon. I need to tackle room acoustics one of these days too. Any of us who buy gear from aging, brilliant designers is always taking a chance…
I’m keeping my fingers crossed 🤞
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2021, 06:45:47 PM »
Doug,

Are you using a Windows computer or a Mac or iPad?

Nick

re: posting pics here, i've found the only way i can do it is to post my pics to my google photos page; then when i open the pic i want, i have to right-click on it, open it in a new window, and then copy that url into this forum; if i just try to copy the original google photo url, it won't post.

ideally, it would be nice to be able to post pics directly from my computer.

doug s.
Is it now a great room?  No, but now it approaches the sound that Danny Richie heard when he designed them.  I'll never spend the bucks to have a "dedicated" listening room.  But with a little help from my friends (or a lot of help), I've been lucky enough to put together something good. 

I’d love to post some pics of it here, but….. I spent two hours on the phone with a couple of Apple support techs about changing from their efficient, but not so common HEIC format to JPEG, but that’s not an acceptable format on this forum either. So, I’m looking for simple software (for Mac and iOS only) to do JPEG to JPG so that I can (finally) post pics that I have taken on this site 😳
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2021, 01:02:38 AM »
Ok, well, that’s clear  :roll: :lol: Google photos can store different file formats. It probably then converts them to a jpg format when you rt click and go thru your routine. I wish there were an easier way and it’s something I’m still researching .

if there was a vaccine i could take that would protect me from apple products, i'd get it!   8)

doug s.
Doug,

Are you using a Windows computer or a Mac or iPad?

Nick

re: posting pics here, i've found the only way i can do it is to post my pics to my google photos page; then when i open the pic i want, i have to right-click on it, open it in a new window, and then copy that url into this forum; if i just try to copy the original google photo url, it won't post.

ideally, it would be nice to be able to post pics directly from my computer.

doug s.

JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2021, 10:27:48 AM »
if there was a vaccine i could take that would protect me from apple products, i'd get it!   8)

doug s.

:rofl:    :thumb:
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe