Author Topic: March 2019 Taiwan Audiophile's Home System  (Read 5307 times)

Offline mresseguie

• Obsessively Audiophilic
March 2019 Taiwan Audiophile's Home System
« on: November 12, 2019, 02:33:24 PM »
In March, I was invited to accompany my audiophool buddies to this fellow's townhouse. I had no idea who he was when we arrived, but I got bits and pieces of his story during our three hour visit. Prior to the Great Recession, he had been quite well known in Taiwan's (and China's?) audio circles. He was an engineer who once worked for big name audio corporations. A few years before the recession, he banded together with a couple people to create his own line of speakers and components. He attended at least one US-based show (RMAF? Axpona? -don't recall anymore). The speakers in these photos stand about 5 feet tall. The woofer at the base of the speakers is 15".

This room is actually the back half of his garage. He spent years redesigning it with absorption, diffusion, figurines, lighting, AC (important in Taiwan). It truly is his audio shrine. Townhouse in Taiwan are rebar reinforced cement. His audio room is like a concrete bunker, but much softened with all his treatments - acoustically great.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 02:35:25 PM by mresseguie »
Daedalus Audio Apollos; Fritz Loudspeakers LS/5-R
SW1X NOS DAC III BAL/SPL; Holo Spring3 KTE
Don Sachs Model 2 preamp
Don Sachs dual mono 300b; Nuprime Evolution STA
Hapa loom
PI Audio UberBUSS, DigiBUSS, Uber-MiniBUS

Offline mresseguie

Re: March 2019 Taiwan Audiophile's Home System
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 02:42:23 PM »
I'll try to remember the name of his speakers and/or company. I did Google it in March, and found information on it, but I'd forgotten about these photos until just now.

This guy really loves Classical music. After introducing his speakers and components, he proceeded to play selected tracks of music. Each track was chosen to demonstrate his speakers' strengths. There were something like 15 tracks. Each showcased different instruments - violin, cello, bass, French horn, flute, kettle drums, harp, piano, guitar, opera, etc. Much of the music was new to me. However, I came away with words like "magnificent", "spectacular", "thunderous", and such. He played "1812" and the cannons were thunderous!

As you can see, these are 4-way speakers. I don't recall anything about the drivers. Actually, now I'm second-guessing my first statement about the 15" woofers. These speakers may have had 12" woofers. I'll have to ask one of the others who were there. He'll know.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 02:52:31 PM by mresseguie »
Daedalus Audio Apollos; Fritz Loudspeakers LS/5-R
SW1X NOS DAC III BAL/SPL; Holo Spring3 KTE
Don Sachs Model 2 preamp
Don Sachs dual mono 300b; Nuprime Evolution STA
Hapa loom
PI Audio UberBUSS, DigiBUSS, Uber-MiniBUS

Offline Folsom

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 06:48:05 PM »
Super cool. Looking forward to more. Asians are serious about their stuff.

I recommend imgBB website for photos just because they won't be so tiny like the forums built in function.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 08:17:58 PM »
In March, I was invited to accompany my audiophool buddies to this fellow's townhouse. I had no idea who he was when we arrived, but I got bits and pieces of his story during our three hour visit. Prior to the Great Recession, he had been quite well known in Taiwan's (and China's?) audio circles. He was an engineer who once worked for big name audio corporations. A few years before the recession, he banded together with a couple people to create his own line of speakers and components. He attended at least one US-based show (RMAF? Axpona? -don't recall anymore). The speakers in these photos stand about 5 feet tall. The woofer at the base of the speakers is 15".

This room is actually the back half of his garage. He spent years redesigning it with absorption, diffusion, figurines, lighting, AC (important in Taiwan). It truly is his audio shrine. Townhouse in Taiwan are rebar reinforced cement. His audio room is like a concrete bunker, but much softened with all his treatments - acoustically great.

Very nice...thanks
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS