Author Topic: Wideband Filters on Ethernet Cables  (Read 4816 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Wideband Filters on Ethernet Cables
« on: October 17, 2019, 09:30:35 AM »
  I noticed that several Ethernet and USB cable Manf,s use some sort of filter on the cable. Shunyata, SOTM etc. What are they actually and can we get them ?

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Folsom

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: Wideband Filters on Ethernet Cables
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2019, 10:46:31 AM »
I suspect they're mostly transformers, and yes you can buy them.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2019, 11:03:17 AM »
  Thanks Folsom. From the photo of Shunyaya cable it appears a slip on of some type like a ferrite but not. I have the transformers inside my DAC and transport.

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Folsom

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2019, 12:37:48 AM »
My opinion is mostly meh who cares if it's Shunyata. Proprietary ferrite beads?

Are you not pleased with your current digital cables? You could PM me if so.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2019, 10:47:47 AM »
My opinion is mostly meh who cares if it's Shunyata. Proprietary ferrite beads?

Are you not pleased with your current digital cables? You could PM me if so.

I use an Ethernet cable from Transport to DAC. Came with a Supra cable. Sounds VG to me however after trying several generic Ethernet cables we noticed big differences in sound. So now on a quest to find the best one for my application.
  Have tried so far TWL [ VG/Excellent], Wireworld [ NFG], Supra [good], Monoprice [OK], Blue Jeans[ Good] and Chinese [VG].

charles

Offline dBe

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2019, 10:52:11 AM »
Ferrite cores are a NO-NO on unshielded Ethernet.  They tend blunt the rise times in the pulse stream.  Square waves are what digital data is about and anything that effects that wveform is a really bad idea.  Knowing the ethics of some of the major cable manufacturers the warts could contain anything from magnets to pulse transformers (galvanic isolation) to simple mass damping compounds to theoretically reduce electrostriction effects to nuthin'.

I've tried all kinds of things and quite frankly most of them degraded the SQ.  Ferrites on USB cables can make the resultant very dark sounding.

One thing I did find that works'sometimes' is ERS used in very small quantities.  Finding the right amount is a PITA for the amount of return.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2019, 11:55:53 AM »
Thanks Dave. It appears to be a patent pending magnetic thing. Shunyata has some interesting concepts and applications. Cost is crazy though 1K for a Alpha USB at 1.5M. I'll stay with TWL USB split power USB cable.

charles

Offline Folsom

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2019, 01:27:59 PM »
Do you use DSD?

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2019, 06:50:30 AM »
  Only with music server which is connected with USB. I use the Ethernet from Transport to DAC. NO DSD from transport.

charles

Offline Mike B.

• http://www.acmeaudiolabs.com
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2019, 09:02:20 AM »
The cable add-on I have noticed with Shunyata looks like a coil. I am not a fan of ferrites on cables
Acme Audio Labs

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2019, 12:31:23 PM »
  Hi Mike. Yes a patent pending coil of some kind. Tried the Sigma Ethernet [ EXPENSIVE] waiting to compare TWL split USB. I would venture to say TWL will take the cake. I really hope so as the Sigma is $900 oh my !

charles

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2019, 09:50:35 PM »
The cable add-on I have noticed with Shunyata looks like a coil. I am not a fan of ferrites on cables
Ferrites on low level cables suck the life out of music.  They aren’t even very good on power cables.  My mind is made up on this.
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline Folsom

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2019, 11:53:34 PM »
Mine too. The only place I've had them work ok is in a CDP I have.