Author Topic: Jupiter Copper Foil Paper and Wax Capacitors  (Read 6825 times)

Offline steve

• Audiologist
Re: Jupiter Copper Foil Paper and Wax Capacitors
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2021, 11:02:45 AM »
Big fan of Mundorf SGO's here.

I am testing 47uf EVO and EVO in oil (speaker crossover). Needed lots of break in and so far so good. Will be checking for any harshness/edginess as they are very revealing. I am going to use one or two in my upgraded Modi 2. I also need to test smaller values to see how they fare as I would use them in Future 10A/11A if I decide to restart manufacturing.

cheers

steve
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 09:08:32 PM by steve »
Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2021, 11:39:35 AM »
Interesting, Steve. I’m curious how much more you can get out of your modded Modi 2
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2021, 09:26:17 PM »
Interesting, Steve. I’m curious how much more you can get out of your modded Modi 2

Nick, I had the Mundorf EVO caps in the speaker xover and they were excellent. I then removed and installed the pair in the upgraded Modi 2, in parallel with other ps caps, with good success, but again none in the speaker xover.

I may go exclusively Mun caps both in supply and output for consumers since I cannot get my favorite caps, but the sound of the smaller Muns will have to be spot on. If not, then I will not be offering an upgrade to other's Modi 2 dacs.

Right now, the sound is simply unbelievable. I don't even think about using any other dac.

I have reinstalled the EVOs back in my speaker crossovers, and have another new EVO pair coming mid week so
I will have Muns in both the xovers and Modi 2 (after breakin). The sound could be even better but could also be worse if the Muns are not near perfect.

I am being quite careful to gradually add Muns and note the effects.   

cheers

steve

ps. I updated my post since Nick posted #18 below.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 04:58:21 AM by steve »
Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2021, 10:50:46 PM »

Nick, I had the M caps in the speaker xover and they were excellent. I then removed and installed the pair in the upgraded Modi 2, in parallel with other ps caps, with incredible success. I may go exclusively Mun caps both in
supply and output for consumers since I cannot get my favorite caps, but the sound of the Muns will have to be
spot on, or I will stick with what I am using now.

Right now, the sound is simply unbelievable. I don't even think about using any other dac.

I have reinstalled the EVOs back in my xovers, and have another new pair coming mid week so
I will have Muns in both the xovers and Modi 2 (after breakin). The sound could be even better but could also be worse if the Muns are not near perfect. I am being quite careful to gradually add Muns and note the
effects.   

cheers

steve

Thanks, Steve. Amazing what can be done with an inexpensive DAC. Pls keep us posted
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS