Author Topic: Sharing Top Notch, Reference Music Links.....  (Read 92528 times)

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Sharing top notch recorded videos and music.....
« Reply #165 on: February 08, 2020, 08:54:49 PM »
You bet, Steve. It’ll be fun and informative.
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #166 on: February 14, 2020, 06:25:29 PM »
To recap, if you’ve followed this thread deviation, I’ve sent Steve my Border Patrol SE dac. It did arrive safely this afternoon and I’m looking forward to his comments and/or criticisms. He’ll also be comparing it to his Schiit Modi 2 that he has modded to his high standards.
I wasn’t planning on starting a new thread just for this, but I’ll let Jeremy do that if he wishes.
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #167 on: February 20, 2020, 07:18:55 PM »
I recently heard some nice solo instruments and thought I would present some links to the family Saxophone to test your system.

Alto Sax

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_xiB-YoLW0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMfdb-zcwCE   Music starts at 1:40. Although a beginner, the alto sax
is recorded very well. How well does your system reproduce this sax?

Tenor Sax

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23I8OtXCs3o

Baritone Sax. Lots of ambience with this performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVOBQBamjDA

All three Sax

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6piLLc8ivqE

Cheers
steve

Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #168 on: February 20, 2020, 07:51:31 PM »
I recently heard some nice solo instruments and thought I would present some links to the family Saxophone to test your system.

Alto Sax

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_xiB-YoLW0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMfdb-zcwCE   Music starts at 1:40. Although a beginner, the alto sax
is recorded very well. How well does your system reproduce this sax?

Tenor Sax

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23I8OtXCs3o

Baritone Sax. Lots of ambience with this performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVOBQBamjDA

All three Sax

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6piLLc8ivqE

Cheers
steve

The baritone sax was my favorite  :thumb:  In my casual listening, I rarely get to hear this instrument and Tanaka was amazing
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #169 on: February 20, 2020, 08:02:52 PM »
Thanks to Steve and his posting of the baritone sax video, I did a search on YouTube for Tanaka and then found this orchestra and subscribed to their channel. Hope you enjoy it.

https://youtu.be/z8-xhsfX3HY
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #170 on: February 20, 2020, 08:55:44 PM »
Here’s some K Pop by the Tokyo Kosei Wind Orchestra. I think malloy has mentioned this genre before. Is that correct, Paul?

https://youtu.be/xzrQ_-7EUqU
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #171 on: February 23, 2020, 07:36:39 PM »
To recap, if you’ve followed this thread deviation, I’ve sent Steve my Border Patrol SE dac. It did arrive safely this afternoon and I’m looking forward to his comments and/or criticisms. He’ll also be comparing it to his Schiit Modi 2 that he has modded to his high standards.
I wasn’t planning on starting a new thread just for this, but I’ll let Jeremy do that if he wishes.
Nick

I had an enjoyable week to audition Nicks BP SE dac with the Uptone Audio polypropylene film and foil caps. Rectifier tube is a Tungsram.

Thanks Nick. I used several selections from the CDs to audition both BP and my modified Modi 2.

1.   Chopin, HMU 907244 Harmonia mundi France, production USA,  Made in Germany. Pianist is Jon Nakamatsu.
        Grande Fantaisie sur des Themes polonais, Op. 13.
2.   Dave Brubek’s Greatest Hits,  Unsquare Danced, Take Five
3.    Purity an inspirational collection, IsoMike a trademark of Kimber Kable.
4.     Eva Cassidy, Live at Blues Alley, Tall Trees in Georgia

The Border Patrol is a nice piece. The sound was much closer than I expected to my Modified Modi 2 dac. I don't wish to choose a dac as better, but just the differences. In fact they were very close.

1. I had to use the dvd drive in the computer and USB output for the modified Modi 2. I used the NAD 521Bee transport and SPDIF output for the BP.

With vacuum tube rectification powered on.

2. The BP is just a tad fuller than my modified Modi 2. This extends from treble to bass. There is just a little more
“sparkle” to the piano and other instruments,  just a touch more shades of harmonics with the Modi 2. Rotating the speakers “1/8” inch might take care of the fuller difference.

3. The BP has a slight sonic signature, that of just a touch less higher order instrumental harmonics. I doubt if speaker adjustment/rotation will cure this difference, but it could help. Personal preference maybe?

4. Depth, sound stage, dynamics so so close. Attack time just slightly different due to slightly fuller sound. Not saying better or worse, just slightly different.

5. Warm up time is much greater with the BP, but then the other components in one’s system require warmup as well, for best sonics. Just an observation. I let the components warm up 3-6 hours before testing myself.

With ss rectification power supply.

7. Still seemed a little fuller, even after powered on over night. However, the higher harmonics of the instruments are better, nice extension. Another interesting aspect is I heated the BP with the tube over night, then listened, and the tonal balance between the BP and modified Modi 2 seemed so close that I don't know if I could tell the difference.

After tube power off, the unit cooled over time and became just a tad fuller again. This is not surprising since altering the temperature will affect the parts values.

With the higher order harmonics of instruments being proper, a slight adjustment of speaker placement may minimize that touch of tonal difference between the two dacs. I preferred without the tube rectification in my system.

All in all it is a very very nice DAC, impressed with the sonics, and how close they got it right.

cheers
steve 
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 07:48:38 AM by steve »
SAS Test Phono Stage

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #172 on: February 23, 2020, 09:11:15 PM »
Nick

I had an enjoyable week to audition Nicks BP SE dac with the Uptone Audio polypropylene film and foil caps. Rectifier tube is a Tungsram.

Thanks Nick. I used several selections from the CDs to audition both BP and my modified Modi 2.

1.   Chopin, HMU 907244 Harmonia mundi France, production USA,  Made in Germany. Pianist is Jon Nakamatsu.
3.   Purity an inspirational collection, IsoMike a trademark of Kimber Kable.

The Border Patrol is a nice piece. The sound was much closer than I expected to my Modified Modi 2 dac. I don't wish to choose a dac as better, but just the differences. In fact they were very close.

1. I had to use the dvd drive in the computer and USB output for the modified Modi 2. I used the NAD 521Bee transport and SPDIF output for the BP.

2. The BP is just a tad fuller than my modified Modi 2. This extends from treble to bass. There is just a little more
“sparkle” to the piano and other instruments,  just a touch more shades of harmonics with the Modi 2. Rotating the speakers “1/8” inch might take care of the fuller difference.

3. The BP has a slight sonic signature, that of just a touch less higher order instrumental harmonics. I doubt if speaker adjustment/rotation will cure this difference, but it could help. Personal preference maybe?

4. Depth, sound stage, dynamics so so close. Attack time just slightly different due to slightly fuller sound. NOt saying better or worse, just slightly different.

5. Warm up time is much greater with the BP, but then the other components in one’s system require warmup as well, for best sonics. Just an observation. I let the components warm up 3-6 hours before testing myself.

7. Still seemed a little fuller, even after powered on over night. However, the higher harmonics of the instruments are better, nice extension. Another interesting aspect is I heated the BP with the tube over night, then listened, and the tonal balance between the BP and modified Modi 2 seemed so close that I don't know if I could tell the difference.

After tube power off, the unit cooled over time and became just a tad fuller again. This is not surprising since altering the temperature will affect the parts values.

With the higher order harmonics of instruments being proper, a slight adjustment of speaker placement may minimize that touch of tonal difference between the two dacs. I preferred without the tube rectification in my system.

All in all it is a very very nice DAC, impressed with the sonics, and how close they got it right.

cheers
steve

Thanks, Steve, for taking the time to evaluate my SE version dac and post your impressions. Lately, because I’ve been putting on many hours breaking in Dave’s new Uber Puerto UberBUSS receptacles, I hadn’t been using it with the rectification tube engaged. Border Patrol designer Gary Dews’ favorite tube is the Brimar EZ 80 Black Plate England. It would have been interesting if you could have heard that tube rather than the stock Tungsram. I never did get around to buying it and it’s currently not available.

I’ll mention now to the guys that there’s a cap upgrade that I’ve requested and Gary will install Jupiter caps to bring it to the SEi version. Steve will be shipping it tomorrow to Border Patrol in Maryland. Gary describes the SEi version sound as being more natural...more organic. As I appreciate my Audio Hungary preamp’s harmonics, it would be nice if the SEi version would accentuate that.

Congratulations, Steve, in taking a $99 Modi 2 and modding it to the extent that you have.
Nick

JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #173 on: February 24, 2020, 07:20:55 AM »
Nick

3.   Purity an inspirational collection, IsoMike a trademark of Kimber Kable.

4. Depth, sound stage, dynamics so so close. Attack time just slightly different due to slightly fuller sound. NOt saying better or worse, just slightly different.

cheers
steve

Thanks, Steve, for taking the time to evaluate my SE version dac and post your impressions. Lately, because I’ve been putting on many hours breaking in Dave’s new Uber Puerto UberBUSS receptacles, I hadn’t been using it with the rectification tube engaged. Border Patrol designer Gary Dews’ favorite tube is the Brimar EZ 80 Black Plate England. It would have been interesting if you could have heard that tube rather than the stock Tungsram. I never did get around to buying it and it’s currently not available.

I’ll mention now to the guys that there’s a cap upgrade that I’ve requested and Gary will install Jupiter caps to bring it to the SEi version. Steve will be shipping it tomorrow to Border Patrol in Maryland. Gary describes the SEi version sound as being more natural...more organic. As I appreciate my Audio Hungary preamp’s harmonics, it would be nice if the SEi version would accentuate that.

Congratulations, Steve, in taking a $99 Modi 2 and modding it to the extent that you have.
Nick

Thank you for the nice compliments Nick. I think the lesson here is that one can obtain/mod a DAC to world class, near perfect status without spending an arm or a leg. The same can be somewhat said for preamplifiers and even amplifiers (wattage can be a limiting factor in amps). Of course visual satisfaction may be a priority.

It is all about proper designing, which includes parts quality, and a truly accurate audio system. I modified my
Modi 2 dac by replacing the stock brass output jacks with all copper, using Jenalabs cryod 6n pure ultra fine stranded copper wire, plus other accurate quality parts, and a little redesigning (proprietary). I had the pleasure of testing the Jupiter copper foil paper in wax capacitors, among others, with an audiophile friend.

I will be sending the dac to BP today. Good luck with your ventures in audio.

cheers

steve
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 09:44:30 PM by steve »
SAS Test Phono Stage

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: Sharing Top Notch Music Links.....
« Reply #174 on: February 24, 2020, 07:14:37 PM »
I have come across the Border Patrol Dac in several situations and have always been very impressed with how it sounded.

Unfortunately the thing I think limits this DAC is the fact that it will only play 16/44 files. And while it does that very well I think the lack of the ability to play any kind of hi res files at all puts a cap on its market potential as many people looking for a DAC in that price range will also be looking for the ability to play more than just Redbook.  I do not think this is a problem from a performance standpoint as it is very good at what it does, but rather from a marketing point of view I am not sure that there is tha big of a pool of potential buyers that would be willing to settle for a CD only DAC.

But then again, I have been wrong before.........
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #175 on: February 24, 2020, 08:17:15 PM »
I have come across the Border Patrol Dac in several situations and have always been very impressed with how it sounded.

Unfortunately the thing I think limits this DAC is the fact that it will only play 16/44 files. And while it does that very well I think the lack of the ability to play any kind of hi res files at all puts a cap on its market potential as many people looking for a DAC in that price range will also be looking for the ability to play more than just Redbook.  I do not think this is a problem from a performance standpoint as it is very good at what it does, but rather from a marketing point of view I am not sure that there is tha big of a pool of potential buyers that would be willing to settle for a CD only DAC.

But then again, I have been wrong before.........

Tom,
I think you’re very likely correct that the number of buyers that would settle for 16/44 is indeed limited. But in my case, I don’t much care about hirez material. I have 500 CDs and my Tidal and Qobuz searches are most always for older recordings....many of which are from the 50s and 60s. I’d usually rather listen to a fair recording of music in 16/44 that I really like than an excellent recording of hirez music that I don’t care for. As you mention, performance wise some of these nos dacs really sound nice.
What has really intrigued me is what upsampled music to say DSD 512 would sound like. I’ve never heard a comparison and that includes the Las Vegas Audiophiles group that I was part of a few years ago. A couple of guys here have said they don’t care for upsampling, but I’d love to hear the differences for myself.
Right now, the Border Patrol dac fits my needs and I’m expecting it’ll sound even better with the Jupiter caps upgrade. It’s a minor investment to satisfy my curiosity.
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #176 on: February 25, 2020, 03:24:16 PM »
If anyone has a Modi 2 and wishes it upgraded to world class for not a lot of money, just pm me or email me at

sasaudio at omnilec.com  .

cheers
steve
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 09:45:37 PM by steve »
SAS Test Phono Stage

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #177 on: February 25, 2020, 04:01:17 PM »
If anyone has a Modi 2 and wishes it upgraded to world class for not a lot of money, just pm me.

cheers
steve

Steve,
Any idea if the new Modi 3 (with your mod) would sound a bit better than the Modi 2 (with your mod)? I briefly read there’s a difference in the power supply. They both retail for $99
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #178 on: February 25, 2020, 09:42:22 PM »
If anyone has a Modi 2 and wishes it upgraded to world class for not a lot of money, just pm me.

cheers
steve

Steve,
Any idea if the new Modi 3 (with your mod) would sound a bit better than the Modi 2 (with your mod)? I briefly read there’s a difference in the power supply. They both retail for $99

Nick

I not sure much of anything can sound more natural/accurate than my modded Modi 2. And they both originally sold for $99.00 stock price. I am not sure why you wish to "upgrade" when your BP sounds so close to accurate/natural, unless you wished that last bit of top octave of instruments. 

I would have to inspect a Modi 3 to see what mod(s) are necessary, and if possible, to implement. If I can get the Modi 3 to sound as good as my modded Modi 2, then great, one can keep the price low while delivering truly world class sound.

I am glad I started this string, to present the very best recordings I can find online, so one can check their audio system's strengths and weakness(es). This includes the sound stage, transparency, dynamics, width, depth, inner detail, spacial Qs etc. As usual, check that the settings are HD, the sonics are sometimes slightly improved due to higher rez.

It truly takes all the components of a system to be accurate if one is going to obtain natural sounding reproduction.

Another aspect is "accurate", "neutral" has been associated with "sterile" for decades due to meter readers claiming solid state's "superior" specifications. But specifications listed has little meaning when it comes to natural reproduction (except FR). Remember when SS sounded so sterile, shrill, lifeless, no emotion? That is not accurate or natural in any sense.

Again, the musical links in this string were presented to show one the quality of their system, from bass through treble. After assessing, then one can work to determine what is the weak component in their system and work on the venue weaknesses, such as Nodes.

If someone has a Modi 2 and wishes me to upgrade it, please let me know thru PM or

sasaudio at omnilec.com.

It really is that good when modded.

cheers
steve

« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 06:36:24 PM by steve »
SAS Test Phono Stage

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #179 on: March 04, 2020, 09:47:32 AM »
Oh my, the sound stage is deep and wide, music is so natural with great dynamics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6kqu2mk-Kw

cheers
steve

I forgot to add that this selection presents many instruments that one can check out. Brass, woodwinds, strings, percussion should all sound like the real thing. Do the woodwinds all sound the same? They should not. The sound stage should be large, the dynamics should be there, percussion great depth, layered.

cheers
steve

SAS Test Phono Stage