Author Topic: Sharing Top Notch, Reference Music Links.....  (Read 92659 times)

Offline steve

• Audiologist
Re: Sharing top notch recorded videos and music.....
« Reply #150 on: November 29, 2019, 10:35:49 AM »
Here is a link to an excellent percussion recording, with discussions, using various techniques and from 1 mic to 5 mics.

This is a pretty good test for stereo image, dynamics, ambience, sound stage etc. It will also help those who wish to make their own recordings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPPhmyBIi6k

I thought I would add one more, a comparison of three saxophones. I find the sax is close to, if not the most difficult instrument to reproduce. Interested in your opinion of this short recording.

Thanks Steve for the link on drums.
With my modest ambiant music set-up
it sounds fantastic, especially with two or more microphones.
For the saxophone, on my system, it sounds terrible...
Thanks anyway.

Guy 13

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6piLLc8ivqE

cheers

steve

Thanks for your input Guy. That is a pretty neat video pertaining to drum miking.

I have always heard the piano is the most difficult instrument to reproduce, and it might be true overall due to its wide frequency range. But I have found it extremely rare to find an accurate, natural recording of a sax.
Unfortunately, ~50% of the music trek is the recording portion, which we cannot control.

cheers
steve
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 10:38:15 AM by steve »
Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #151 on: December 01, 2019, 05:52:44 PM »

I have always heard the piano is the most difficult instrument to reproduce, and it might be true overall due to its wide frequency range.

It is not only the wide frequency range but also because the piano is actually a percussive instrument and as such it also has very sharp attack speeds and fast rise times are always difficult to record and reproduce.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #152 on: December 02, 2019, 06:14:26 AM »

I have always heard the piano is the most difficult instrument to reproduce, and it might be true overall due to its wide frequency range.

It is not only the wide frequency range but also because the piano is actually a percussive instrument and as such it also has very sharp attack speeds and fast rise times are always difficult to record and reproduce.

Excellent point Tmazz, and thanks for bringing that that to our attention. Your informative comment brought to remembrance an article years ago, I think from an audio magazine, that attack time (rise time) is very important to believing that one is listening to a live instrument. Of course transparency and other aspects come into play, but rise time is crucial. 

cheers

steve
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 06:17:21 AM by steve »
SAS Test Phono Stage

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #153 on: December 26, 2019, 09:48:30 PM »
I had to post this one, both quality music and at 1:49 thought I might see a whiff of smoke.   :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPLXNmKvLBQ

cheers

steve
SAS Test Phono Stage

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #154 on: December 26, 2019, 10:05:23 PM »
I had to post this one, both quality music and at 1:49 thought I might see a whiff of smoke.   :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPLXNmKvLBQ

cheers

steve

Rather amazing. I don’t think I’ve ever seen an orchestra play at this tempo
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #155 on: December 27, 2019, 09:19:52 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW3OrLHj0lQ

Beth Hart, ohhh ssooo good. Must listen to the whole selection. A blend of Etta James and Janis Joplin only better.
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #156 on: January 03, 2020, 12:48:21 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW3OrLHj0lQ

Beth Hart, ohhh ssooo good. Must listen to the whole selection. A blend of Etta James and Janis Joplin only better.

Nice recording quality Jim. Sound stage is very nice indeed.

Here is Classical Gas but with a woman's touch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vXtywOlayc&app=desktop

cheers
steve
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 01:31:44 PM by steve »
SAS Test Phono Stage

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #157 on: February 05, 2020, 09:32:44 PM »
Oh my, the sound stage is deep and wide, music is so natural with great dynamics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6kqu2mk-Kw

cheers
steve
SAS Test Phono Stage

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #158 on: February 05, 2020, 11:05:35 PM »
Oh my, the sound stage is deep and wide, music is so natural with great dynamics.

cheers
steve

Thank you, Steve
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #159 on: February 06, 2020, 02:52:53 PM »

cheers
steve

Thank you, Steve

By the way Nick, I see Brimar is back in business in England. Here is a link.

https://brimaruk.com/valves/triodes/

cheers
SAS Test Phono Stage

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #160 on: February 06, 2020, 07:21:58 PM »

cheers
steve

Thank you, Steve

By the way Nick, I see Brimar is back in business in England. Here is a link.

https://brimaruk.com/valves/triodes/

cheers

Hi Steve,
Maybe my memory is off. I wasn’t aware of Brimar’s status, but the Brimar EZ 80 is Border Patrol’s Gary Dews favorite rectifier tube for his SE dac. I recently mentioned
that Jensen was going out of business and that concerned me because Gary had a limited supply of those Jensen caps that he was saving only for his new SEi dac, not
for upgrades. As I’m still breaking in the new Uber Puerto receptacles, I haven’t been
in a hurry to follow up with Gary regarding the Jensens or if he’s found another cap
that he feels is nearly as good. I know that Dueland bought Jensen, but that’s all I know. I’ve read that the BP SE dac measures poorly, but it sounds very good to me. Iirc, Border Patrol, Volti, TWL and PI Audio are sometimes show partners. I’d love to be in that room 🎶🎶🎶😀
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline dBe

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #161 on: February 06, 2020, 07:54:35 PM »
-the Brimar EZ 80 is Border Patrol’s Gary Dews favorite rectifier tube for his SE dac. I recently mentioned
that Jensen was going out of business and that concerned me because Gary had a limited supply of those Jensen caps that he was saving only for his new SEi dac, not
for upgrades. As I’m still breaking in the new Uber Puerto receptacles, I haven’t been
in a hurry to follow up with Gary regarding the Jensens or if he’s found another cap
that he feels is nearly as good. I know that Dueland bought Jensen, but that’s all I know. I’ve read that the BP SE dac measures poorly, but it sounds very good to me. Iirc, Border Patrol, Volti, TWL and PI Audio are sometimes show partners. I’d love to be in that room 🎶🎶🎶😀
People that are meter readers make me crazy.  Screw the measurements!  How does it sound?  When it comes to the Border Patrol DAC the answer is that it just makes music  :thumb:

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #162 on: February 07, 2020, 01:39:33 PM »
-the Brimar EZ 80 is Border Patrol’s Gary Dews favorite rectifier tube for his SE dac. I recently mentioned
People that are meter readers make me crazy.  Screw the measurements!  How does it sound?  When it comes to the Border Patrol DAC the answer is that it just makes music  :thumb:

Since it is brought up, I have asked Nick to send me his border patrol to check out sonically, in absolute terms. I have been upgrading a Modi 2 to world class status, in absolute terms and would like to compare.

Imo, some measurements do make a difference. Take noise and hum, harmonic distortion for two. We all know about hum, but I am gaining a sense of what HD does to the sound, esp 2nd and 3rd.

Back to topic. Here is a piece by Netherlans Symphony Orchestra.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCmAIMgNon4

cheers
steve
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 01:42:42 PM by steve »
SAS Test Phono Stage

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #163 on: February 07, 2020, 07:57:43 PM »

Since it is brought up, I have asked Nick to send me his border patrol to check out sonically, in absolute terms. I have been upgrading a Modi 2 to world class status, in absolute terms and would like to compare.

Imo, some measurements do make a difference. Take noise and hum, harmonic distortion for two. We all know about hum, but I am gaining a sense of what HD does to the sound, esp 2nd and 3rd.

cheers
steve

Sure, Steve. I’m sending a PM.
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #164 on: February 08, 2020, 08:44:00 PM »

cheers
steve

Sure, Steve. I’m sending a PM.
Nick

Thank you Nick. I really appreciate the opportunity to check out your dac.

cheers and great week.
steve
SAS Test Phono Stage