Author Topic: Rollin, rollin, rollin,  (Read 28394 times)

Offline Putz

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: Rollin, rollin, rollin,
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2015, 01:36:15 PM »
I'll talk to Deepak and get back to you. Hold for now.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2015, 04:49:18 AM »
So over the past 3 years I have nearly replaced everything in my system. I have a tube pre and I should keep good NOS back up tubes. Whats a man to do? TUBE ROLLIN!! I'm scouring the internet to figure out what type 6SN7 to buy. It can make a man crazy! Leaning towards a TungSol from the 1950's 6SN7GT White Label. 

Thank you to Pete for loaning me some matched pairs to try in my system. Right now I have the Raytheon's in the Pre. Observations to follow.
Jim-bo,
You want to lose your mind??? I have ~ 15 MATCHED pairs of vintage 6SN7GT's you can try... Mainly all USA-made with a British Brimar pair mixed in...

Also, I can give you a copy of VTV 6SN7 shoot-out with comments & ratings... That will surely put you over the edge!

Happy Nervosa!
Pete
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2015, 04:24:36 PM »
OK so here are the matched pairs i am trying in my system:
GE 6SN7 GTB
Raytheon 6SN7W
Tungsol 6SN7GTB (NOS not reissue)
RCA red base 5692

So far I have had the Raytheon and RCA in the preamp. I'll spend a bit more time with them and the others before i give detailed comments. However I will say that the RCA is a very nice tube that I have read mixed reviews about.
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2015, 08:10:31 AM »
  A good bunch. Should prove interesting as to the different characters of the tube sets.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2015, 02:51:20 PM »
GE 6SN7 GTB
Raytheon 6SN7W
RCA red base 5692

So far I have had the Raytheon and RCA in the preamp. I'll spend a bit more time with them and the others before i give detailed comments. However I will say that the RCA is a very nice tube that I have read mixed reviews about.

SYNERGY, dude!... It's all about SYNERGY!!!

My $0.02,
Pete
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2015, 02:54:01 PM »
GE 6SN7 GTB
Raytheon 6SN7W
RCA red base 5692

SYNERGY, dude!... It's all about SYNERGY!!!

My $0.02,
Pete

Hey isn't that Bills line?  :lol:

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2016, 07:42:54 AM »
  It is about knowing the sonic character of tube brands and types. Once that is accomplished then synergy is easier to get.
   Just replaced the famed tele 12AT7 [ vintage tube Service ] with Gold Lion reissues [ thanks richidoo ] and to my ears better in my application. In direct comparison the Tele was HI Fi sounding. not ALL NOS tubes are right sonic wise. One just need hands on experience to find out.
    Keep rolling, gain experience and be happy. Remember one size does NOT fit all.

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline sleepyguy24

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2016, 10:07:54 AM »
Tube rollin can be fun. It is cool to listen to the impact different tubes have on your system. It is always good to have spares on hand. If anyone needs various budget 12AU7, 12AT7 or 12AX7 tubes for tube rolling pleasure let me know. I have a bunch available.

As for me I may be done with old stock tubes. I had a pair of GE 5751 tubes go bad and then a pair of Raytheon black plate 12AU7s go bad too. I have re-issue tubes that were thoroughly tested as well and have had good results so far. The Gold Lion 12AU7s are a delight and to my surprise in my Jolida DAC the Sovtek 12AX7LPS tubes are wonderful.

Offline mdfoy

• Seeking Help
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2016, 11:36:20 AM »
Sleepyguy24,

Which 12AU7 have found to sound best in the pre?

Mike
Where there is doubt, there is no doubt

Offline sleepyguy24

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2016, 10:59:43 AM »
Sleepyguy24,

Which 12AU7 have found to sound best in the pre?

Mike

Hi Mike,

With the BellaMax Pre I bought from you I found Raytheon Black Plate 12Au7s with D getters sounded the best until recently when I found those tubes started causing a hum. I then switched them out for a pair of Gold Lion 12AU7s from Upscale Audio and am very happy. I think the Gold Lions are quieter than what I originally had.

Thanks

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2016, 11:09:19 AM »
   The Harmonix 12AU7 with cryo treatment from the tubeman would be my reco to try. Using a gold Lion 12AT7 for my CDP ith VG results. Both are VG just different.

charles

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2016, 06:49:24 AM »
Raytheon 6SN7W
RCA red base 5692

Heard these at Jim's on Monday. Here's my impression:

Raytheon 6SN7W - nice balance, with good dynamics and a decent tone. Tight bass and good highs with plenty of detail on leading edge transients without fatigue or zing

RCA red base 5692 - beautiful mids especially on vocals and horns, somewhat slower sounding than the Raytheon with a fuller but less tight bass, top was somewhat reticent
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2016, 07:31:48 AM »
The second set of tubes that we were comparing were actually the RCA Grey Glass. My Bad if I didn't make that clear (no pun intended).

In general I found that comparing mid grade NOS tubes against each other revealed only subtle differences. Note that exotic NOS tubes were not auditioned. However, most NOS are way better than the cheap generic tubes that are supplied in the initial purchase of my preamp.

I have just purchased a pair of Shuguang Black Treasure tubes. From everything I have read the performance is supposed to be stellar and not lumped together in the same class as other Chinese tubes. I'll report on that when I get time with them.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2016, 04:58:41 AM »
Rolling tubes is like crack cocaine. Yo :shock:u can't get enough!

Offline Putz

« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2016, 01:52:01 PM »
Look on the top of the RCA box for the tube info. Best place to look is on the tube. You may have to look very carefully for the worn designation.

The top Belles Statement VT-01 preamp review on Dagogo shows the Dayton film output caps still being used in 2011 version. But it has tube output stage like 21A. If you have cooling slots in the cover you can peer inside with a flashlight. They are large black with yellow caps. They are inexpensive and maybe Dave Belles likes them in the same way I like $6 Shuguang 12AU7s.  :rofl:  Carlman had a great improvement when he replaced his with Roederstein caps.    Hometheaterdoc used 22A for a while, he did a lot of tube rolling, maybe he'll chime in.

PM your address. I'll try to dig them up! You'll have to open the preamp to change the tubes.  :-P

So I opened up the Belles and took pictures of the Caps. The first 2 pics are  Daytons. Not sure what the 3rd pic is? Please recommend replacements and be as specific as possible since I am new to this game.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 01:53:45 PM by Putz »