Author Topic: Phillips Metal Base - GZ-34  (Read 11962 times)

Bigfish8

Phillips Metal Base - GZ-34
« on: September 07, 2008, 07:32:53 AM »
After several months of bidding and trying to purchase a metal base GZ-34 I finally purchased one last night from a guy on AC that had acquired three of them.  I don't know if it due to the popularity of the ModWright Transporter or something else but these tubes are going for crazy, expensive prices.  Everyone with the ModWright Transporters claim the metal base GZ-34 is by far the best rectifier tube and I hope they are right.  In any regards it would seem that owning one is better than having money in a bank savings account!

Ken 

Offline rlmacklin

• Certifiable
Re: Phillips Metal Base - GZ-34
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 10:40:04 AM »
I have one of the 1957 Philips MiniWatt metal base GZ34's
running in the tube rectified power supply of my
Modwright SWL 9.0 Signature tubed linestage.
It upped the performance substantially over the stock Sovtek 5AR4.
(I had earlier replaced stock JAN Philips and/or Tung Sol 5687 signal tubes
with Bendix 6900s berfore going to tube rectified power supply.)

The metal base Philips GZ34 also noticeably edges an Amperex Bugle Boy
which serves as the backup/reserve for the power supply.
The Amperex Bugle Boy significantly outperformed the Sovtek 5AR4.

Offline Bill O'Connell

• Obsessively Audiophilic
    • http://www.morningstaraudio.com
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 01:50:47 PM »
A great tube to say the least, they went for crazy money 7 years ago and just keep rising.
 Another one you might want to keep an eye out for is the Mullard Fatbase 5AR4, some have holes in the guidepins others don't but this tube just has a bit more heft/organic/meat on the bone to it then the metalbase in the circuits I have tried them in.
 Alex Yeung of Eastern Electric sent me a pair of metalbase 5AR4's as a Christmas present one year. :D. Now that's a great business partner.
Bill O'Connell,
Retired /Morningstar Audio/Eastern Electric distributor for North America
847-255-1150
"If your playing more than 3 chords your just showing off"  John Lee Hooker

Bigfish8

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 03:06:56 PM »
I got home tonight and found a box containing my "new" Phillips Metal Base GZ-34 and now have it installed in the ModWright Transporter.  The current tube combination in the Transporter is the Metal Base GZ-34 and 6H30DRs.  The Metal Base replaced a Mullard GZ-32. 

Guys, all I can say is that the positive comments about this tube combination over on AC are spot on the money.  The difference in sound between the GZ-32 and Metal Base GZ-34 is definitely significant.  Enough so that I will be searching for another Metal Base to own as a back-up!

Ken

Offline sleepyguy24

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 08:08:00 PM »
Sorry to bump this old thread but I was trying to help out JimBones with the 5AR4 tube rolling conundrum and found this thread that talked about Phillips Metal Base GZ34 tubes. These tubes are crazy expensive now. At least $500 per tube.

Does anyone have any recommendations or can share any thoughts on a cheaper alternative to the Phillips Metal Base Gz34 tube that could maybe come close to it's performance? I was reading on another forum that the Philips 5R4GYS could be a good substitute but it is a bit taller than the normal GZ34.

I was also told that Mullard Blackburn either metal base or bakelite base Old stock GZ34 tubes would outperform any re-issues today. If anyone has any thoughts on that it would be appreciated as well.

Offline jbtrio

• Certifiable
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 05:17:31 PM »
Hey Sleepyguy24,
 The Mullard and Amprerex 5ar4 with 2 halo getters from the late 50's and 60's. They cost much less and are very good.
 If your system is already on the warm side try the new Gold Lion Cryo 5ar4 they are very good for new stock and cost around $45.

In my system they are more dynamic, open, detailed, and throw a big soundstage.
I like them better then my old 5ar4's, YMMV.

Joe
VPI classic3,3d arm, Lyra Kleos SL,K&K maxxed-out phonostage,Quadratic MC-1 SUT,Mola Mola Tambaqui Dac, Jay's Audio CDT-2 Mk.3transport,Supratek Sauvignon preamp,Frankenstein 300b mk.2 amps,FW SIT-3 amp, Purepower 1500+,Horning Eufrodite Ellipse speakers

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 05:33:14 PM »
Hi guys. Thanks for the input. I have a Sovtek Russian tube in the pre now. I am hearing that the Mullards warm things up. So looks like NOS is the only way to go with these tubes.

Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline shadowlight

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 07:06:09 PM »
Hey Sleepyguy24,
 The Mullard and Amprerex 5ar4 with 2 halo getters from the late 50's and 60's. They cost much less and are very good.
 If your system is already on the warm side try the new Gold Lion Cryo 5ar4 they are very good for new stock and cost around $45.

In my system they are more dynamic, open, detailed, and throw a big soundstage.
I like them better then my old 5ar4's, YMMV.

Joe

Joe,  where did you get the gold lion from?

Offline jbtrio

• Certifiable
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2015, 08:27:35 PM »
Hey D,

Cryoset.com
VPI classic3,3d arm, Lyra Kleos SL,K&K maxxed-out phonostage,Quadratic MC-1 SUT,Mola Mola Tambaqui Dac, Jay's Audio CDT-2 Mk.3transport,Supratek Sauvignon preamp,Frankenstein 300b mk.2 amps,FW SIT-3 amp, Purepower 1500+,Horning Eufrodite Ellipse speakers

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2015, 05:35:56 AM »
Ok so I took a chance on a used "Mullard" on ebay. The guy tested it and gives a 14 return policy. It says Made in Great Britain on it and "Hammond" (Presumably from a Hammond organ?)
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline mdfoy

• Seeking Help
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2015, 06:58:59 AM »
+1 in the Genalax Gold Lion rectifier. I have found the Gold Lion tubes that I have encountered to be consistent and have very good quality (5AR4, 12AU7). It is nice to have a quality new issue tube to go to. The NOS crap shoot can be a big PIA :evil:

Mike
Where there is doubt, there is no doubt

Offline shadowlight

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2015, 06:05:19 AM »

Offline sleepyguy24

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2015, 07:07:59 AM »
I spoke to Jim McShane and he loves the re-issue Tung Sol 5AR4 as well as the Gold Lion reissue 5AR4 as well.

Jim if that old stock Mullard 5AR4 doesn't work out for you I may take it off your hands depending on what you paid for it. I'm curious about it.