Author Topic: The RIP Thread  (Read 47330 times)

Offline malloy

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • no grave concern for repercussion
Re: The RIP Thread
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2020, 09:40:28 PM »
Lee Konitz is gone, so is Bucky Pizarelli. Konitz from Pneumonia, Covid complications.

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2020/04/20/koni-a20.html

Not a good month.

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2020, 09:59:06 PM »
Doesn’t matter that they were both in their mid 90’s.  Dead is dead and they will be missed by those of us that valued their contribution, but also by friends and family.

Sad... they are gone, but not forgotten.   :(
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2020, 11:46:12 PM »
It is with sadness that Marty DeWulf, owner/editor of Bound for Sound has passed away.
I had the opportunity to visit him and Laura several times and enjoyed listening to his system and  discussing audio. Even if one differed in subjective sonic opinion, his opinions were honest.
He was a gentleman.

One of the reasons I chose Bound for Sound to review my products was his very high ethics and moral 
standards. With such standards, Bound for Sound never accepted any advertising.

In reviews, he explained both the strengths and weaknesses of a component. He never sounded phony to me.
One of his famous articles was titled "Truth be Told", pertaining to the rampant corruption in the audio
field. His example was a beacon.

He will be sorely missed, one of a few men of high integrity in the audio realm.

steve
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 08:14:47 AM by steve »
Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2020, 10:47:27 AM »

It is with sadness that Marty DeWulf, owner/editor of Bound for Sound has passed away.
I had the opportunity to visit him and Laura several times and enjoyed listening to his system and  discussing audio. Even if one differed in subjective sonic opinion, his opinions were honest.
He was a gentleman.

One of the reasons I chose Bound for Sound to review my products was his very high ethics and moral 
standards. With such standards, Bound for Sound never accepted any advertising.

In reviews, he explained both the strengths and weaknesses of a component. He never sounded phony to me.
One of his famous articles was titled "Truth be Told", pertaining to the rampant corruption in the audio
field. His example was a beacon.

He will be sorely missed, one of a few men of high integrity in the audio realm.

steve

:(
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2020, 10:25:25 PM »

steve

While Marty will be missed I have to disagree with you that he was "one of a few men of high integrity in the audio realm."

I have been involved in this hobby for over thirty years and it has been my great pleasure to deal with many people whom I would definitely consider to be of high integrity. The nature of the audio press end of the business is such that it is totally dependent on advertising dollars and as a result there are times where financial considerations tend to take precedent over what I might call total journalistic freedom. And it is not just the audio press. I have a college friend who has spent his career in the newspaper business. He tells me that when he started there in the 80s the newspaper business was a noble profession and bringing the truth to the public was their first and foremost goal. But as the newspapers began getting bought up by big corporate conglomerates whose only concern was how next quarters financials were going to look, the news just became another way to generate revenue for the corporation and profits started to become more and more important than the journalism itself.

Sorry for rambling on, but the point I am trying to get to is that most of the people I have dealt with on the manufacturing side of this business are hard working honest people who do their best to try to put out the best product possible withing the market segment they are  trying to address. I would just hate to see them lumped in with the audio press when talking about the integrity of the people in the the business. People like you and Dave and Pete are out there trying to do what you can to help us enjoy our music more. I don't and certainly don't think anybody else should look at guys like you in same light that we do the audio press. (and of course I and talking about the audio press as an industry in general, there are certainly some people involved in the press (like Marty) who are stand up guys.)
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline tmazz

« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2020, 10:27:47 PM »
Lee Konitz is gone, so is Bucky Pizarelli. Konitz from Pneumonia, Covid complications.

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2020/04/20/koni-a20.html

Not a good month.

I had seen a news report about Lee, but Bucky's passing  somehow slipped by me

That really sucks, I like his music a lot.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2020, 10:32:14 AM »

steve

While Marty will be missed I have to disagree with you that he was "one of a few men of high integrity in the audio realm."

I have been involved in this hobby for over thirty years and it has been my great pleasure to deal with many people whom I would definitely consider to be of high integrity. The nature of the audio press end of the business is such that it is totally dependent on advertising dollars and as a result there are times where financial considerations tend to take precedent over what I might call total journalistic freedom. And it is not just the audio press. I have a college friend who has spent his career in the newspaper business. He tells me that when he started there in the 80s the newspaper business was a noble profession and bringing the truth to the public was their first and foremost goal. But as the newspapers began getting bought up by big corporate conglomerates whose only concern was how next quarters financials were going to look, the news just became another way to generate revenue for the corporation and profits started to become more and more important than the journalism itself.

Sorry for rambling on, but the point I am trying to get to is that most of the people I have dealt with on the manufacturing side of this business are hard working honest people who do their best to try to put out the best product possible withing the market segment they are  trying to address. I would just hate to see them lumped in with the audio press when talking about the integrity of the people in the the business. People like you and Dave and Pete are out there trying to do what you can to help us enjoy our music more. I don't and certainly don't think anybody else should look at guys like you in same light that we do the audio press. (and of course I and talking about the audio press as an industry in general, there are certainly some people involved in the press (like Marty) who are stand up guys.)

Since Marty is involved in the press, I was referring mainly to them T, but I can name some big names if you wish. I also know a few manufacturers as well. Being a manufacturer might allow me to see things behind the scenes, by personal experience, so how would the public know?

I also know of a few in forums (not AN) who have expressed to me they don't care about shilling, one just recently. These are not hearsay, but direct, personal contacts.

I was directly blackballed by some industry and virus attacked simply because I defended my amps using indirectly heated tubes in my SET amps some 20 years ago. I had never heard of the forum before that.

I then received at many as 36 virus attacks in One Day, not over weeks, for simply showing that the plate curves in triode mode were the same as "true triodes".

I soon learned I better have an external hard drive backup since I had to restore my computer dozens, if not more times over the months. I simply stopped posting on that forum.

I had one preamplifier destroyed with a hammer because I would not sell my preamplifier to a well known reviewer for $300.00. Of course no one hear about these unless I mentioned it.

I also had one reviewer from a large forum go after me for ~2 years while he was pushing brand "A".
I did not personally know either the reviewer nor the company. Turned out he reviewed "A" and the company's owner had been caught pay for review. By the way, UPS mistakenly shipped back the preamplifier to the shilling reviewer. I did finally receive a check for $300.00 from the famous review magazine.
You either do the bribes or no review. 

With the varied so called "scientific" and otherwise postings, how does one know what is true and what is not, who is honest and who is not?

steve

« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 02:01:45 PM by steve »
Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2020, 11:17:20 AM »

I also know of a few in forums (not AN) who have expressed to me they don't care about being shilled on, one just recently. These are not hearsay, but direct, personal contacts.

I was directly blackballed by some industry and virus attacked simply because I defended my amps using indirectly heated tubes in my SET amps some 20 years ago. I did not even know the forum existed when informed by a customer they were attacking my designs.

I received at many as 36 virus attacks in One Day, not over weeks, for simply showing that the plate curves in triode mode were the same as "true triodes".

I soon learned I better have an external hard drive backup since I had to restore my computer dozens, if not hundreds of times over the months. I simply left the forum.

I had one preamplifier destroyed with a hammer because I would not sell my preamplifier to a large reviewer for $300.00. No one heard about that unless I mentioned it.

I also had one reviewer from a large forum go after me for ~2 years while he was pushing brand "A".
Turned out he reviewed "A" and the company's owner had been caught pay for review. By the way, UPS shipped back the preamplifier to the shilling reviewer. I did finally receive a check for $300.00 from the famous review magazine.

With the varied so called "scientific" and otherwise postings, how does one know what is true and what is not?

steve
Steve, I feel you...

There are people in the "industry" (I use the term loosely) that revel in the power that the wield in their own little corners of the world and use their position to inflate their egos and in some cases build their systems.  I've known a few people like this on forums, too.  I had an similar instance like you with my computer being essentially destroyed by someone that I pissed off by telling the truth about what I saw as one-sided injustice.  It was my fault they got in becausde I was using a free "firewall" that was more of a fire sale and provided very little protection.  It was OK because it led me to become a Mac user for more than just a music server.   :thumb:

I've had "reviewers" (again: loosely) that requested gear to review and then never wrote a word, but kept the gear.  A couple of fairly well known names in the audio world.  They suck!

I enjoyed Bound for Sound over the years, as I have PFO and Part Time Audiophile among others.  It just pains me to know that we lose the good guys and the jerks are still out there.

Marty will be missed greatly.  😔

Offline Mud

« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2020, 08:39:54 AM »
I've mentioned many times over the years that I am not surprised and disgusted by the base nature of humans, but I have been wrong.  I am still taken aback by the conscious, deliberate meanness manifested by so many.  The few examples that I just read above surprised anew.

Don't get me wrong, I am sure that I hurt or offend quite often in my dealings with others, but it is always an unconscious act.  It is an inevitability with human interaction I guess.  What one says/does and what another understands/feels can be  diametrically opposed. 

Offline allenzachary

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2020, 06:14:13 AM »

Don't get me wrong, I am sure that I hurt or offend quite often in my dealings with others....

Well, around here, your name is "Mud."

Offline tmazz

« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2020, 09:55:27 AM »
I just heard about the passing of bluegrass great Eric Weissberg, best known for playing the banjo parts on Bob Dylan's Blood on the Tracks and the mega-hit Dueling Banjos. He passed late last month not of Covid, but rather from complications from his 5 year battle with dementia. The cause is not really important, it is just sad to loose yet another great musician.

Eric was not just a skilled banjo player, but a great entertainer as well.

Here is a clip of him performing Dueling Banjos with Tom Paxton in 2009:

https://youtu.be/U1cc5JKIlAU

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline tmazz

« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2020, 10:17:05 AM »
Rock and Roll pioneer Little Richard died today at age 87 from bone cancer.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/little-richard-dead-48505/

Also Roy Horn of Siegfried and Roy dead at 75 from Covid.

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-news/siegfried-roy-roy-horn-dead-coronavirus-obituary-996628/

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2020, 12:34:17 PM »
  Hopefully ALL in a better place. God rest their Souls. Good Golly Miss Molly you will be missed.

charles
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 12:50:57 PM by rollo »
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2020, 10:07:55 AM »
One of my favorite people has passed.

Charlie Daniels is gone at 83.

A great man of Faith, musician, American, philanthropist and much, much more.

Just as sure as the Devil went down to Georgia, Charlie went up to Heaven!

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2020, 10:41:13 AM »
One of my favorite people has passed.

Charlie Daniels is gone at 83.

A great man of Faith, musician, American, philanthropist and much, much more.

Just as sure as the Devil went down to Georgia, Charlie went up to Heaven!

Saw him in San Diego at a concert... Great show!
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS