Author Topic: NOS Tube Prices- Can They Vary This Much?  (Read 8247 times)

Offline James Edward

• Obsessively Audiophilic
NOS Tube Prices- Can They Vary This Much?
« on: January 10, 2014, 01:41:19 PM »
I am looking at a 6sn7 that is listed on TubeDepot.com at 150 dollars.
The same described tube at PartsConnexion.com lists for 50 dollars.

Hytron JAN-CHY-6SN7GT - 1951

The only discernible difference I can see is that the less expensive one does not list a specific production date.

Any thoughts?
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: NOS Tube Prices- Can They Vary This Much?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 04:19:24 PM »
Tube prices do vary wildly. These are both reputable dealers. I have bought from Tube Depot many times, always decent tubes, but usually on the pricey side. Personally I would believe that the tubedepot tubes are 100% new before I believed that of Partsconnexion.

I've not bought from Partsconnexion yet, but I will probably try them for Duelund parts. Prefer to buy US when possible.

DaveC

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 07:31:28 PM »
Partsconnexion has been great to deal with and the owner Chris was very helpful when the PT melted down on my old Anthem preamp. I have bought a few tubes from them along with A LOT of other stuff and it's always been great.

As far as 6SN7s, $50 is about right for that tube IMO. $100/pair is pretty standard for lesser known but still good military tubes. I paid $80/pair for Sylvania 5692s and $135/pr for RCA 5692s... the 5692 is a military ruggedized 6SN7 build for use in howitzers, they are very quiet tubes. And for $100/pr for the Hytrons they should be tested and guaranteed.

Offline sleepyguy24

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 07:48:45 PM »
If you think pricing on 6SN7s can vary wait till you try looking for 6F8G tubes. Pricing for those tubes can vary quite a bit. I remember one pair of good quality Sylvania 6F8Gs range in price from $60 to $200 per pair. I think the only difference was one had the original boxes.

Offline rpf

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014, 09:01:27 PM »
Tube Depot's NOS tube prices are very high. Try any of a number of good dealers mentioned here and on AC.

Brent Jesse, TC Tubes, Vintage Tube Services, Paul Lindemann etc.
Mac Mini>Singxer SU-1>Lampizator Amber II>Rogue Cronus Magnum>Aural Acoustics Model B.
TWL PCs; Audio Envy ICs & SCs; Purist Digital IC; PI Audio USB Cable and Buss-Stop.
Sonos Connect, iFi SPDIF iPurifier, Schiit Modi Multibit, Audioengine 5+

Russian_Glass

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 06:49:48 AM »
ANY tube from the "Golden Age" of tube production (<1960) is going to command 2-to-10 times what a recent-production will. The higher the demand (and the fewer good examples left), the higher the cost.  Hytron, General Electric, Syvania, and RCA were the four mfr's (at that point) that could produce tubes to JAN (Joint Army-Navy) standards. As time progressed, cold war tensions lessened, and transistorized equipment made its way into the military, JAN demands were made less strict. Hence, JAN is more meaningful if the tube is specified as being from the 40's/50's - (the $50 one is probably from the '70s).