Author Topic: Re: Dave's IC's  (Read 90358 times)

DaveC

Re: Dave's IC's
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2013, 09:06:30 AM »
It was suggested to send both IC and SC because they are complimentary, being made out of the same wire... when you use both cables at the same time it makes for a much bigger difference than just using one or the other separately, so you would get to experience the full effect of the EC-UPOCC copper cabling.

sleepyguy24 and Nick B, please post here and/or send me pm to let me know if you're interested in the speaker cable, if most are not I will skip it and just send out ICs, if a majority of the group would like speaker cables to be included I can do that too.

FWIW, it will not be a requirement to check out the SCs and write about them here if you're not interested in them, but if I do send them you will have the option of hooking them up if you like the ICs and want to see what using both together will sound like.  :)

EDIT: just read sleepyguy's post....

The speaker cables I'd send out would be the 14 gauge EC-UPOCC cables, not the 20 gauge, so they will work with any system.

BobM, you are welcome on the tour, please pm me your address and phone number.  :thumb:
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 09:30:27 AM by DaveC »

DaveC

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2013, 08:34:48 AM »
OK, I think I will start the tour with guys who don't want to check out the speaker cable, then I can send off SC to those who would like to check it out later. I will try to arrange it so you'll get the SC at the same time as the ICs if you're also on the IC tour.

So, we have:

StereoNut, no SC (NY)  
Bob M, no SC        (NY)
sleepyguy24, ? SC  :) (NY)  -let me know, it's up to you... by the time StereoNut and BoBM get through with the ICs, the SCs will be burned in and ready to send out if you are interested.
mdfoy, yes SC (PA)
Nick B, ? SC     (UT) -let me know if you want to check out the SCs
bpape, no SC  (MO) -last on the list, keeps for 3-4 weeks

I need a few more days to burn in the ICs, so StereoNut will recieve the IC cables in about one week.  :)

I have detailed pricing on the 14 gauge wire and speaker cable now.

The 14 gauge wire will sell for $8.59/ft.

I am going to make it available in bulk as well as finished speaker cable so people can use it for internal speaker wiring, crossovers, hook up wire inside amps, etc.

One caveat is that tinning the ends will require a solder pot, but a high wattage soldering iron with a large tip may work as well.

I will have an introductory price on speaker cable, the deal will be you get a finished set of speaker cables for the price of parts!

So an 8' set of SCs costs $275 without connectors. The connector prices are listed below, I can also do half spades and half bananas of course.

The "FP" and "FT" type connectors come with either Gold or Rhodium plating, prices are listed for both in G/R format.

Add $96/$172 for Furutech FP-200B(G/R) Bananas
Add $290/350 for Furutech FT-212(G/R) Bananas
Add $900 for Furutech CF-202(R) Bananas

Add $140/180 for Furutech FP-201(G/R) Spades
Add $250/280 for Furutech FT-211(G/R) Spades
Add $725 for Furutech CF-201(R) Spades

I think the best bang for your buck is with the FP-201(G) spades, an 8 foot set would cost $415. With half FP spades and half FP bananas the price would be $393.

In the future I do plan on actually charging for cable construction, but for now I would like to get as many cables out there as I can  :thumb:
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 09:49:44 AM by DaveC »

Offline sleepyguy24

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2013, 08:49:31 AM »
Sorry Dave for not getting back to you sooner. I've been real busy these past couple of days. Ok I'll give the speaker cables a try if they will be totally burned in by the time I'm up for the IC trial. I don't have my break-in amp any more and don't like breaking in speaker wire on my tube amps due to further cost.

If possible could the speaker wires have banana plugs on the speaker end? I'm fine with either spades or bananas on the amp end.

Thanks again.

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2013, 09:09:46 AM »
Dave

What length of speaker cables are you sending out on tour and with what connectors?  Maybe (?) I would like to try them as well.

Problem for me is I need a minimum 12ft. pair (13ft. would be better) with bananas on each end or bananas on the speaker side and spades on the amp side.

Of course, it my needs don't coincide with everyone else, don't make yourself crazy!

Bill
(Stereonut)
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2013, 09:43:07 AM »
Just FYI - my state is MO.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

DaveC

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2013, 09:49:23 AM »
I could send out a 12' pair, no problem.  :)

Spades at one end and bananas on the other would be fine too.

If you'd like to check them out I can start with BobM.

I have a SC burn in device setup too, just an old digital amp with a few power resistors in parallel instead of speakers. It shouldn't take too long to burn in the SCs since I can run that amp 24/7.

All 3 sets of ICs are currently being burnt in as well.

OK, Thanks Bryan... I got the initials wrong.  :duh
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 09:52:42 AM by DaveC »

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2013, 10:07:20 AM »
I could send out a 12' pair, no problem.  :)

Spades at one end and bananas on the other would be fine too.

If you'd like to check them out I can start with BobM.

I have a SC burn in device setup too, just an old digital amp with a few power resistors in parallel instead of speakers. It shouldn't take too long to burn in the SCs since I can run that amp 24/7.

All 3 sets of ICs are currently being burnt in as well.

Great!  I will call BobM and talk it over to see what we can work out and get back to you. 

One other dumb question... will the SC's be "directional"?  If I need to use them with bananas on the speaker end and spades on the amp end, will it matter if someone else needs to use these the "opposite" way?

Thanks!
Bill

• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• T.W.L

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2013, 10:17:54 AM »
I would like to try that speaker cable as well. That configuration works out fine for me too
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2013, 10:44:50 AM »
Dave - I sent you a PM  Please take a look. Thanks! - Bill

• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• T.W.L

DaveC

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2013, 10:48:32 AM »
StereoNut, the cables are not directional but more burn-in will probably be required if the direction is changed. I always mark my cables with arrows so you know which direction to install them. So, I would not recommend changing the direction that they are first burned in at.

I could do all bananas, but would prefer to put spades on the amp end if that works for everyone... reason being the FP level spades are made of UPOCC copper and the FP bananas are brass. If I use bananas I will probably use the FT level bananas to keep everything copper, even though Furutech's proprietary brass material actually sounds very good.

Got your pm, thanks!

topround, no problem... I know you are local to rollo, I just messaged him to see when he needs the ICs as I would like him to have them to compare to the JPS cables. You also mentioned having some friends that would like to hear them too, so I was going to have you and rollo on another "tour", since it sounds like you'd both need them for longer than a week or two. So as soon as I hear from rollo we can come up with a plan on having both you guys check out some cables. I would be happy to include speaker cables for you guys too.  :)   

Offline sleepyguy24

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2013, 11:14:42 AM »
Hi Dave

I'm ok with spades on the amp side. Also to accommodate others in the test I'm fine with 12' length speaker cables. I'll just make sure when they are in my test system for your cables I'll handle the excess cable properly. Thanks again.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2013, 12:42:57 PM »

No biggie. Just wanted you to know if you changed your mind and wanted to do it by region/area.  Not sure how long they'll be here - just thought I could expose more people to them in the local group that aren't here on AN.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

DaveC

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2013, 10:00:27 AM »
Ok, Interconnects are going out to BobM today!

I am getting the 14g wire for SCs today, so I will have plenty of time to burn in a set before sending them off to StereoNut, who will be next.

I really appreciate everyone's interest and I am looking forward to hearing what you guys think. I am sure I will get some good feedback from this group.  :thumb:

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2013, 10:02:10 AM »
Thanks, Dave.  I'm sure everyone is looking forward to this!  :thumb:

• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP