Author Topic: GT Audio Works  (Read 15992 times)

GT Audio Works

GT Audio Works
« on: April 23, 2013, 01:34:25 PM »
Here are a couple of pics of a GTA 2 in Cherry, in the process of being assembled.
Dog not included....Greg

Offline machinehead

• Obsessively Audiophilic
    • Affordable Web Design & Development
Re: GT Audio Works
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 01:38:30 PM »
Nice stuff... Hey I have that chair from IKEA...
Its cool ndude.

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 04:28:48 PM »
Greg,
Very nice... is this pair solid cherry or veneered?

Pete
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

GT Audio Works

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 05:44:00 PM »
Greg,
Very nice... is this pair solid cherry or veneered?

Pete
It's veneer

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 07:12:57 AM »
   Looking good there Ollie. Perfer the look of the rectangle as oppossed to the angled bottom.
    Maybe consider the grilles going all the way down as well.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

GT Audio Works

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 10:47:09 AM »
   Looking good there Ollie. Perfer the look of the rectangle as oppossed to the angled bottom.
    Maybe consider the grilles going all the way down as well.

charles
I agree with you, the trapezoid shape looked good on paper, but in reality as not so good.
The rectangular shape is slimmer ..only 15" wide and the box is not too deep only 15" off the back panel.
They look quite nice in my not very large 14x16 room  on either side of the TV.
The grill extends from the top of the rectangular cutout  down to cover the holes for the woofers leaving 10" of wood exposed on the bottom...

They are not spoken for yet..anyone interested in hearing them can contact me thru info on my web site. I will even demo them in your home within the NJ, NY, PA area...Greg

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 08:03:47 AM »
  Living with them now for a week. so far no matter which amp I use either the Arions a 1000W/4ohm or the Audio Research at 60W at 4/ohm the result is wonderful.
  Bass is clean tight and slamatronic. However the transparency was MIA in direct comparison to the original we heard at your home. Then I remembered that the grille was not attached that day. So off the grilles went and to my surprise transparency in spades.
  See through vocals with gestalt. Decay of harmonics lingered until silence. Tone was spot on. Cymbals shimmer with sparkle like in real life. On Sax you get the mouthpiece, bell and reed. Trumpets bite when supposed to and have sweet tone as well.
   The Sheffield drum and track Cd was intense. Jim Keltner track was as dynamic as the B&G speakers just recently heard.
    The RR Virgil Fox on organ rattled the house. My wife said the couch was vibrating, see was not happy. We were though, quite impressive.
   No Maggie I ever heard has the dynamics, weight or tone of this speaker.
   So impressed Pete and I we will using them at the Capitol Audiofest in July. We are now a team. The "A" team that is.

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

GT Audio Works

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2013, 10:22:31 AM »
 Living with them now for a week. so far no matter which amp I use either the Arions a 1000W/4ohm or the Audio Research at 60W at 4/ohm the result is wonderful.
  Bass is clean tight and slamatronic. However the transparency was MIA in direct comparison to the original we heard at your home. Then I remembered that the grille was not attached that day. So off the grilles went and to my surprise transparency in spades.
  See through vocals with gestalt. Decay of harmonics lingered until silence. Tone was spot on. Cymbals shimmer with sparkle like in real life. On Sax you get the mouthpiece, bell and reed. Trumpets bite when supposed to and have sweet tone as well.
   The Sheffield drum and track Cd was intense. Jim Keltner track was as dynamic as the B&G speakers just recently heard.
    The RR Virgil Fox on organ rattled the house. My wife said the couch was vibrating, see was not happy. We were though, quite impressive.
   No Maggie I ever heard has the dynamics, weight or tone of this speaker.
   So impressed Pete and I we will using them at the Capitol Audiofest in July. We are now a team. The "A" team that is.

charles
Glad you are sorting them out Charles..you have a lot more experience than I do in tweaking the best out of them.

As far as the grills I had gone to a thicker heavier material to hide the reflection of the foil traces from the planar drivers when a light shines on the speakers.  Considering your system is much higher in resolution and lower in distortion than mine the difference shows up in these little changes. I must admit my system sounds a bit rougher and more forward than yours hence the heavier cloth may have been toning down the upper mid and treble.I will go back to the sheer cloth I was originally using. I am also incorporating an adjustable contour network that will be on a separate binding post jumper that will allow for some spectral adjustment of the frequency response for brighter systems or rooms, but will be completely out of the circuit for a well balanced set up like yours...Greg

P.S.  Which one of us is MR. T ??
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 10:25:00 AM by GT Audio Works »

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2013, 05:25:07 PM »
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2013, 06:26:59 AM »
   Pete is Mr. "T". He wears 7+ cords instead of gold chains.

charles

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2013, 08:13:50 AM »
Be careful of that "contour" switch Greg. I just pulled out the switch in my Apogee crossover that set "H - N - L". I identified the wires for the "Normal" position (which I tend to like best), cut them from the switch and connected them together with a wire nut.

As Charles likes to say "Oh My"! Increased texture and transparency and naturalness in spades. Just saying, you may want to be careful with what a switch adds, or takes away.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2013, 08:21:09 AM »
Agreed.  I would think it would be better to allow a resistor to be plugged in rather than a pot or switch if anything.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

DaveC

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2013, 06:43:16 PM »
Congrats Greg! I hope to hear your speakers sometime... maybe next RMAF?

How do these compare to Sanders and King Sound?

GT Audio Works

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2013, 07:47:04 PM »
Be careful of that "contour" switch Greg. I just pulled out the switch in my Apogee crossover that set "H - N - L". I identified the wires for the "Normal" position (which I tend to like best), cut them from the switch and connected them together with a wire nut.

As Charles likes to say "Oh My"! Increased texture and transparency and naturalness in spades. Just saying, you may want to be careful with what a switch adds, or takes away.

I absolutely agree...no stinkin switches !!!
I meant a hard wired alternate binding post for the filter with the ability for the customer to insert a supplied resistor that will vary the slope of the filter.

GT Audio Works

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2013, 08:06:19 PM »
Agreed.  I would think it would be better to allow a resistor to be plugged in rather than a pot or switch if anything.

Bryan
Yes that is what I meant...I already incorporate such an arrangement on my speaker to trim the output of the mid woofers as dictated by the system and room interaction. It actually came in quite handy today at Charles house . Charles and his buddy Nick were telling me that there was one aspect of the sound that they were not 100% happy with..a slight veiling in the lower mids or lack of transparency in that area. No problem.. I insterted a 1 ohm resistor in the mid woofer circuit and Nick's face lit up saying "That's it !!"
Adjustability is an important aspect of the design...but leave the pots in the kitchen !!