Author Topic: Winged C 6550C  (Read 7043 times)

Offline Bunky

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Winged C 6550C
« on: June 21, 2007, 03:03:46 PM »
I just ordered a matched quad of these from Triode electronics in Chicago. who is using them or has tried them and what do you think of them ? they are supposed to work well with my Sonic Frontiers Sfs 80 tube amp. thanks....WCW III
Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best.
-- Frank Zappa

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Winged C 6550C
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 03:47:16 PM »
They are my favorite power tube. VTL and AR both use these OEM. Andy Bouwman of Vintage Tube Services recommended them to me for my Cary integrated. They were quite an improvement over the stock Ruby tubes. SED is a great factory with a long history, and all of their tubes have a clean linear sound. Tube Depot also recommended SED EL34 to me recently as their best EL34 for hifi.

After a month of burn in they held rock solid bias month after month for me. I ran them at 75ma in Cary SLI-80.
Enjoy!
Rich

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 02:04:27 PM »
I just ordered a matched quad of these from Triode electronics in Chicago. who is using them or has tried them and what do you think of them ? they are supposed to work well with my Sonic Frontiers Sfs 80 tube amp. thanks....WCW III

Hi Bunky,

I have recently been testing them in my amps and found them superior to the winged C KT88s. The KT88s seem to lose a little control over the bass extending to the instruments and voices in the mids. I tried compensating a little in the design, but just couldn't get the control, separation, focus the 6550s have.

Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers

WEEZ

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 02:26:58 PM »
Steve,

Anything you can share regarding a new design? Inquiring minds full of nervosa need to know.. 8-[

WEEZ

Offline Bunky

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 03:37:53 PM »

Hi Bunky,

I have recently been testing them in my amps and found them superior to the winged C KT88s. The KT88s seem to lose a little control over the bass extending to the instruments and voices in the mids. I tried compensating a little in the design, but just couldn't get the control, separation, focus the 6550s have.

Steve,thanks for the input. the Winged C 6550C is the same tube as the original Svetlana. Newsensor bought the US rights to the name Svetlana and are selling tubes under that name but they are not the real thing. Sonic Frontiers used the Svetlana in thier power Amplifiers so if it is good enough for them its good enough for me.thanks....WCW III
Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best.
-- Frank Zappa

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007, 09:09:19 AM »

Hi Bunky,

Steve,thanks for the input. the Winged C 6550C is the same tube as the original Svetlana. Newsensor bought the US rights to the name Svetlana and are selling tubes under that name but they are not the real thing. Sonic Frontiers used the Svetlana in thier power Amplifiers so if it is good enough for them its good enough for me.thanks....WCW III

Hi Bunky,

Right. I have been testing the winged Cs 6550 and KT88s, from St. Petersburg. The 6550s seem to have a little better focus and tighter bass than the KT88 counterpart. Just thought I would share that info.

Take care.
SAS Test Phono Stage

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2007, 09:25:46 AM »
Steve,

Anything you can share regarding a new design? Inquiring minds full of nervosa need to know.. 8-[

WEEZ

Not yet Weez. The problem I am having is that the 3 pair of speakers, all have a different tonal balance, although two of them are fairly close, both with series xovers. Arggggh. I have been testing a series crossover in the System Audio 1270 two way speaker.

As you probably know, I am a big fan of the RCA Radiotron designers handbook, written by 26 engineers. Here is a quote.

"In all cases the series connection is preferable to the parallel connection."

I am also wondering how 25 watts would go over with the public. I have some more ideas, but nothing I can comment on as of yet.
SAS Test Phono Stage

WEEZ

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2007, 11:43:13 AM »
Understood, Steve.  :)

...but when the time is right, hope you make an anouncement here in the 'market' section..

WEEZ

Offline Bunky

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2007, 04:41:15 AM »
well ,i recieved my matched Quad of Winged C 6550 C's from Triode electronics in Chicago yesterday. they had already burned them in for 24Hrs and they sounded pretty nice right out of the box. there was a mix up originaly and they thought they had shipped them last week. i called them and said that i should have recieved them but did not. they rectified the problem by shipping them to me by UPS Air on thier dime.thanks....WCW III
-- Frank Zappa

Offline mboldda1

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2007, 08:04:52 PM »
how does the sound of kt-90's compare to 6550's and kt-88's?
Freelance Reviewer For StereoMojo  System: http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vopin&1162599347