Author Topic: 6H30 tube  (Read 20471 times)

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: 6H30 tube
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2014, 04:50:13 PM »

If it is as rugged as it's touted, wouldn't it be a good choice for my AI Mod 2D (aka "The Tube Eater)?  

Allen,

I have a Mod 3A and have not had any great problems with it going through tubes any faster than my ARC SP-9. One of the things I noticed when I got the AI is that there os no way to shut it off completely. even when you turn off the "power " switch you can still see the tube filaments staying lit. I suspect this may be why it tends to wear out tubes. In light of what I observed and the unit's reputation I simply started to plug the plug out of the wall when the unit was not in use. Of course this led to a little bit longer warm-up period, but it did seem to do wonders for the tube life.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Russian_Glass

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2014, 11:00:53 AM »
...even when you turn off the "power " switch you can still see the tube filaments staying lit. I suspect this may be why it tends to wear out tubes...
  It shouldn't be.  Generally speaking, when a tube "wears out", it loses cathode emission (long before the filament burns out).  I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but I've used hundreds of tubes and can count on one hand the number of filaments that I've seen die.

Allen, when your tubes "go", do they stop glowing?  
Or does the tube still glow, but not produce good sound any more?

Tmazz, I suspect that – (if your filaments are burning out) – it's due to a less-than-optimally-designed power supply.  I would try putting an ICL (Inrush Current Limiter) in series with your filament, such as this one:

http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?pv679=87&k=inrush+current+limiter&mnonly=0&newproducts=0&ColumnSort=0&page=1&stock=1&quantity=0&ptm=0&fid=0&pageSize=500

These are passive current-limiting devices and will not have any negative effect on the sound; (if anything, it will sound better, as current-regulated filament supplies tend to do).  They can get quite hot though, so make sure it's in a well-ventillated location.
But it will do two things for you:
1 – Limit the "cold filament" inrush current; when the filament's cold, it has about ¼ of it's running resistance and therefore draws a lot more current.  This is probably the biggest cause of filaments burning out — (which is probably why your AI chooses not to switch them on and off).
2 – Keep the power supply from delivering too much voltage and/or current (and prolong the life of the tube).

You should be able to leave the tube(s) on 24/7 and, if anything, the cathode emission will fall off long before the filament burns out.  (BTW, the cathode emission isn't affected when there's no power to the anode — hence the power switch).
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 11:21:20 AM by Russian_Glass »

Offline allenzachary

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2014, 05:06:54 PM »
e.

Allen, when your tubes "go", do they stop glowing?  
Or does the tube still glow, but not produce good sound any more?

I've never had a tube completely fail.  They just, over time, lose their vibrancy, and begin to sound murky. 

Sometimes they get noisy, (swirly, windy kinds of sounds) but lately I'm not sure if it is the tubes, the preamp, the rest of the system or a combination of all.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2014, 06:26:03 AM »
  Good stuff there Russian Glass. Welcome and nice to have you posting.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2014, 07:55:20 AM »
I have the same experience as Allen with tubes in general. When used in a hi end application in my experience tubes have a definite useable lifespan. They will give peak performance for just a finite amount of time ( and that amount of time varies depending on the tube and the circuit it is used in) and after that time the just start to sound dull and lifeless. They still work and would in all likelyhood b provide many more hours (or even years) of service in a less demanding application, but after a while they just done allow the equipment to preform up the it's fullest potential.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables