Author Topic: Eastern Electric MiniMax DAC Plus Tour  (Read 25513 times)

Offline Bill O'Connell

• Obsessively Audiophilic
    • http://www.morningstaraudio.com
Eastern Electric MiniMax DAC Plus Tour
« on: March 01, 2012, 12:04:24 PM »
 Hi guys,

Well, ETCarroll has the Dac already with the more linear upgrade op-amps installed.  Dual OPA2107's and OPA627's on Brown Dog adaptors.
 TMazz, I know you and him are close neighbors so whenever Eugene decides to  let you listen, please work out the details between you.That goes for Stereonut, and jimbones als

I sent out a second DAC today to Satfrat with the dual OPA2604's and single OPA827's on Brown Dog adaptors. I also put in the DAC a long-plate Mullard that Satfrat likes so much.
 Satfrat will then ship this DAC to djdube525 once he listens for 7-10 days.
  I will be out of country for a bit so please work out the details amongst yourselves.

Thanks,
 Bill
Bill O'Connell,
Retired /Morningstar Audio/Eastern Electric distributor for North America
847-255-1150
"If your playing more than 3 chords your just showing off"  John Lee Hooker

Offline mfsoa

Re: Eastern Electric MiniMax DAC Plus Tour
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 03:42:59 PM »
Wow Bill this is really great of you to do  :thumb:

So if the 2107/627 is the "linear", how do you describe the 2604/827?

I have all of the these for my original Minimax except for the 2604.

Have you ever considered a trade-up program?  Doesn't seem like it would make any sense for you - Maybe there is a market for refurbed originals for $650, and you could give a $500 credit on a trade-up? Just thinking out loud here...

Maybe one of these Dacs will be in someones hands who is coming to my place on Mar-17  :thumb:

-Mike

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 06:15:27 PM »
Well dang.  I just spent a month breaking in the DAC plus with the original opamps only to find there is something better!?  Oh well, here's my review of the original:

I must say that the DAC is a really nice piece and I can't expect more for a grand.  It's heads and tails above DAC's I've had in the past, even with upgrades and so on.  It's definitely modern, new world technology that reaches far into the deepest lows and extended highs while still producing good musical satisfaction.  

I compared my Scott Nixon Tube DAC (with the latest technology/upgrades, etc.) to the EEDAC+.  I let the EEDAC+ warm up for 2 weeks, and finally sat down for a listen.  

Going from the SN to the EE, the imaging really snapped into focus and the bass detail was insane.  Those were the first 2 things that hit me.  So much slam and detail down low.  I didn't know my speakers were capable of such things!  I ended up moving them around to cure a little boominess from the extra bass.  After that, the bass was very articulate.

The mids were fine, they didn't stand out or stand down, they were just faithfully reproduced.  The upper mids had a touch of graininess as it transitioned into the highs... which were good but on the dry side and not sweet the way I prefer them.  This grain wasn't apparent unless compared to something sweeter.  Going back to my SN DAC, I noticed the midrange warmth and 'love' that created a beautiful and enjoyable presentation... but found myself missing the imaging and bass... and an overall grip on the music... now it's kind of smeared around, vague imaging.

I went back to the EE DAC+ and played around with the tube button, then removed the tube... then put the tube back in... I didn't hear huge differences.  The tube added a little softness/warmth but not much... I slightly preferred it in the signal.  In SS mode with the tube completely unplugged, I thought it sounded a tiny bit cleaner than without the tube... but not enough to write home about.

Now enter a 3rd DAC, the AMR DP 777, around $6,k msrp.  Thanks to the Shane for sharing it, I wanted another 'data point' for comparison... Basically, take the best of both DAC's and you have no compromises.  The AMR had the 'love' of the SN and the technical precision of the EE.  Very cool and unexpected... just out of my budget. :(

In any case, the EE is a stellar performer at a great price.  If there is any improvement to the upper mid/high area without sacrificing the bass, let me know, I'd like to hear it again.  I don't mind being at the end of the list.  It takes me a long time to listen... so, I'll need it for a week or 2.  

-C
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 06:18:06 PM by Carlman »
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline satfrat

• Dallas Cowboys,, America's Team!
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 08:14:05 PM »
Carl, thanks for the insight of your experience with the EE Dac Plus.  :thumb: I'll take it for granted that you never demo'd the original EE Dac which I was fortunate to do. It's too bad you didn't have some tubes to roll as some like the NOS Seimens & Mullards made a huge improvement with the 3D soundstage depth and smoothness of the EE Dac. Just might have helped smooth out the graininess you were experiencing.

I'm now really looking forward to listening to the modded up EE Dac Plus, especially with Bill's own long plate Mullard which should be smooth like countertop butter. :D  I will be making Dac comparisons with a MHDT Havana Dac with many tubes and with a Sprague Vitamin Q  cap bypass on the output caps. I will also be comparing the asynchronous USB Plus against my Empirical Off-Ramp 3 USB Transport w/Ultraclock & Hynes power supply. It's this comparison that I'm really looking forward to. I was really surprised just how close the EE Dac was to my Off-Ramp 3. I also had issues with the EE Dac's volume control which has now been removed from the Plus. Yep, I'm very much looking forward to this demo.  :drool:

Cheers,
Robin

Butler 3150 amps, Sunfire Theater Grand 4 processor, Mhdt Havana w/Vitamin Q cap bypass, HTPC, Empirical Off-Ramp 3 w/Ultraclock & Hynes PS, Odyssey Audio Lorelei's, Usher X-616's, Ridge Street Audio Poiema!!! IC/SC, BPT & UberBuss power conditioners

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 05:21:45 AM »
<quote>Hi guys,

Well, ETCarroll has the Dac already with the more linear upgrade op-amps installed.  Dual OPA2107's and OPA627's on Brown Dog adaptors. <end quote>

Back off the road and home all next week. Already touched base with TMAZZ about getting it to him next, probably next Thursday. I did some pre-lim listening before I hit the road this past Monday, but now time to 'dig into' this baby.

Listening without the tube engaged at first at Bill's suggestion, but will do some tube rolling before I give it up as I have a nice assortment of tubes for this bad boy.
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline Bill O'Connell

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 05:30:52 AM »
Carl,

After Satfrat ships it to djdube525(probably in 2 weeks as I just shipped it out) who I believe is fairly close to you maybe DJdube ( after he hears it)can bring it back to you.Then maybe one of the guys who wanted the more linear version would like to hear the other version for comparison as they really are two different sounding presentations. Just not sure which one floats another's boat so while their out there if possible it is a good thing to try both versions.

Mike, a trade up program would not make sense for me as the original should sell rather easily for not much loss on the owners part. When they come up for sale on Audiogon they usually sell within a day or two.
Bill O'Connell,
847-255-1150

Offline Bill O'Connell

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 06:15:10 AM »
For those wanting to utilize the USB 24/192  you must go to
www.eeaudio.com  click on the picture of the DAC PLUS which will take you to a page that has the different Driver downloads for whatever computer you are using.
 The Snow Leopard driver also works for the Lion OSX if using a MAC

Later,
 Bill
Bill O'Connell,
847-255-1150

djdube525

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 07:43:04 AM »
Carl,

After Satfrat ships it to djdube525(probably in 2 weeks as I just shipped it out) who I believe is fairly close to you maybe DJdube ( after he hears it)can bring it back to you.

I'm more than willing to co-ordinate.

Carl, I work in the Park so, it wouldn't be a bother to swing out during lunch to do a hand off.

Dave

lonewolfny42

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 08:40:35 PM »
Maybe one of these Dacs will be in someones hands who is coming to my place on Mar-17  :thumb:

+1....That would be nice.... 8)

Offline satfrat

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2012, 01:11:24 AM »

+1....That would be nice.... 8)

Yes it would be nice and I wish I could make it happen guys but I can't. I'm pretty much grounded here for the time being taking care of the landlady and couldn't make the trip even if I could afford to do so.  :cry:

But yes, it would be nice. Hell it would be great as I miss attending the RAVE's a lot.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin
Butler 3150 amps, Sunfire Theater Grand 4 processor, Mhdt Havana w/Vitamin Q cap bypass, HTPC, Empirical Off-Ramp 3 w/Ultraclock & Hynes PS, Odyssey Audio Lorelei's, Usher X-616's, Ridge Street Audio Poiema!!! IC/SC, BPT & UberBuss power conditioners

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2012, 07:01:08 AM »

I'm now really looking forward to listening to the modded up EE Dac Plus, especially with Bill's own long plate Mullard which should be smooth like countertop butter.

Countertop butter?
Hmmmm....gonna try it on a bagel
"Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.
I got to say it was a good day"
    --Ice Cube

Offline satfrat

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2012, 07:22:56 AM »

I'm now really looking forward to listening to the modded up EE Dac Plus, especially with Bill's own long plate Mullard which should be smooth like countertop butter.

Countertop butter?
Hmmmm....gonna try it on a bagel

:-k Well while your tasty buttered bagel is but a temporary delight, the buttery smooth Mullard is an everlasting bliss,,,,,,, til she fizzles out anywho. aa

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2012, 08:29:31 AM »
I spoke to DJDube last night... we'll definitely coordinate it.  The EE is a world class DAC and I think it fairs well against others so I would like to put it in the mix of other good DAC's at my next G2G to hear the different presentations.  There won't be a bad DAC at my next G2G, that's for sure...

When I know when the EE will be around, I'll set a date for the G2G.  As always, Bill, you are invited!  It'd be great if you could hear the room as it is now compared to the last time... so much has improved.

I hope Lonewolf can join us again one day.. maybe an anniversary party or something later this year? 

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline satfrat

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2012, 05:34:12 PM »
I have in my possesion the EE Dac Plus via the brown truck today & it was cold as ice. Not surprising as we got down to -5 degrees last night. Right out of the box, i was surprise on how much larger the Plus is to the original EE Dac. And heavy too. :shock: Definitely a larger transformer for what I would suspect to be a beefier power supply. No more volume control, no more tube cover but more finger room for tube rolling,,, all pluses in my book for the Plus.  :thumb:

I will give this Dac a few hours to flaw, then it'll be 24/7 for a few days so to break in them op-amps before really having much else to say.  8)

Cheers,
Robin

Offline woofersus

• Certifiable
    • East Street Audio
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2012, 12:01:19 PM »
Looking forward to impressions!

If this thing ever leaves the NY area and heads (mid)west, I'd love a chance to spend some time with it.  No rush, but if a list forms, put me on it.
Tim Evans
East Street Audio
Onix, Melody, & ACA