Author Topic: Tube recommendations for AR SP8  (Read 7732 times)

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
Tube recommendations for AR SP8
« on: October 29, 2011, 07:32:20 PM »
Hi all, I have an Audio Research SP* that I haven't retubed in quite some time. I don't think I have many hours on them but I want to retube Just In Case! :lol:

I want to get "better than stock" but not boutique super expensive either. Is there anything in the middle? I know it uses 12ax7. Thanks,
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Tube recommendations for AR SP8
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 08:51:18 PM »
Jim, try Sovtek 12AX7LPS.
http://www.svetlana.com/ProductHighLight.aspx?ProId=81

Or Mullard 12AX7 long plate:
http://www.svetlana.com/ProductHighLight.aspx?ProId=1159

Jim McShane is a good source for these.
http://www.mcshanedesign.net/tubes.htm
All of the "New Sensor" made tubes are very reliable.

Other modern 12ax7 compared: http://thetubestore.com/12ax7review.html

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 07:06:29 AM »
Whoa! Thats perfect. Thanks. Do you know what the sonics differences are that you have experience with sovtek and mullard?  :thumb:
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 08:19:42 AM »
  Hey Jimbones welcome aboard. My AR gear just loves Chelmer brand tubes. Harmonix gold pins as well.
  Rich has given some good advise as well.

charles
SMA
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 08:27:31 AM »
No I don't know, as I don't use 12ax7s. These Sovtek LPS are supposed to be better than the base $9 sovtek guitar tubes. Mullard will be even better, and their premium brand Gold Lion will be even better than Mullard, but they are $70/tube.

evan1

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 08:36:42 AM »
No I don't know, as I don't use 12ax7s. These Sovtek LPS are supposed to be better than the base $9 sovtek guitar tubes. Mullard will be even better, and their premium brand Gold Lion will be even better than Mullard, but they are $70/tube.

I'm breaking in the Sovtek 12AX7 LPS in my Jolida JD9 right now. They are very nice so far.

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 10:02:56 AM »
If you can afford it, I'd recommend Telefunkens.

http://www.tube-classics.de/TC/Tubes/SieTel%20ECC83/ECC83.htm
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 10:05:38 AM »
Whoa! Thats perfect. Thanks. Do you know what the sonics differences are that you have experience with sovtek and mullard?  :thumb:

In general terms the Mullards are a fuller richer sounding tube compared to Sovtek which is a brighter presentation overall.  However system synergy as always plays the most part.
  Unfortunately we can give you our opinions all day long. The true test is trying yourself as you know. This is a good starting point.
 If it were me depending on how many you need is to try the Gold Lion first. BTW contact AR and ask what they use now for that Pre, can't hurt.

charles
SMA
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2011, 04:24:59 PM »
OK, so it seems that since the tubes have different sound characteristics I might buy a complement of each.  :roll:

AcidJazz

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2011, 06:21:07 PM »
I have tried 3 different New Reissued 12AX7, the Mullard, Sovtek LPS and the TungSol...of the three I liked the TungSols the best, followed by the LPS...
The Mullard I had liked at first over the TungSol and used it for 3 months in the linestage of my pre, switching back to the TungSol (which I had tried for a couple weeks) revealed how much cleaner and detailed the TungSol was vs. the Mullards, plus the soundstage was more 3-D.
Now bear in mind that the TungSols were cryoed, available from Cryoset:
http://www.cryoset.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_25&products_id=49&osCsid=f211c66acd8cace387dcbda438256904

I use the LPS in my phono stage. My pre is a C.A.T.

YMWV

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2011, 05:40:56 AM »
A LOT depends on your preference and in equipment matching as has been said before.  In MY system, the Mullards are very lush in the mids but sloppy and muddy in the bottom.  I have other friends' systems where the Mullards are just perfect. 

In my particular system, RCA Blackplates seem to be the best balance of great mids, non-rolled off highs, and tight, punchy, extended bass.

Other tubes to consider are GE 5 stars, Phillips, Telefunken ($$$$)

Also remember that in different locations in the preamp circuits, you may find different things work better for you. You may actually end up with a mix of brands.  I know in my preamp, the RCA's work best in the gain stages while a Telefunken works best in the power supply regulation.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2011, 05:06:58 PM »
Good point bpape. Tele's are out of my price range. What are cryo'd??  :wtf: :rofl:

Offline richidoo

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2011, 05:34:21 PM »
That means they are cryogenically treated, submerged in liquid nitrogen for a day or so. This supposedly changes the molecular structure of the metallic parts, which makes them sound different. It also works on metal musical instruments.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2011, 08:08:49 PM »
 :shock: aa

Sweet, Thanks