Author Topic: Went back to tube amps  (Read 4926 times)

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Build your system for yourself, not the critics
    • Response Audio
Went back to tube amps
« on: July 14, 2011, 08:54:53 PM »
This is not a commercial post. Just wanted to share a personal experience.

With so much going on with designing hybrid amps the past year, I haven't listed to a tube amp at all :duh

Being a tube person at heart, I thought I would switch back to tubes today. I have a pair of custom mono bloc tube amps that I built about two or three years ago but never listened to them and had forgotten about them. Came across them this weekend and decided I wanted to see what they were capable of. They are constructed of solid Curly Maple and Bubinga all 3/4" thick. Right now they are running at 50 watts using EL34 output tubes with a 12AU7 input and 12AT7 phase splitter.

I had about an hour on them today which was plenty enough time to know that they will be getting a LOT more time on them from here on out :thumb:

No tube power all year? What was I thinking :duh

Design Engineer
Response Audio NY
Custom Vacuum Tube Deaign
www.ResponseAudioNY.com

shep

Re: Went back to tube amps
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 11:35:59 PM »
Ever so nice! I never got around to saying it but you make some of the prettiest gear in the biz. You damn well should enjoy some of your own creations  :thumb:

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Response Audio
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 08:32:44 AM »
Thank you Shep for the kind words.
I am fortunate enough to be exposed to this on a daily basis but on the down side, do not have much time to build products for personal use.
At least these amps are mine and will not be sold. But you can bet they will go through some different stages of upgrades.  :D
I even have a matching preamp that was started some time ago but will be replaced with a Purity Reference in a matching Curly Maple chassis similar to Statement seen on our web site
Design Engineer
Response Audio NY
www.ResponseAudioNY.com

ebag4

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 08:43:33 AM »
Gorgeous amps Bill.  They would go great with my Figured Sapele/Curly Maple V1s! ;)

Best,
Ed

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Response Audio
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 10:41:31 AM »
Thanks Ed.
As I mentioned, this was not meant to be a commercial post and these are not for sale but we could always build a custom pair for you. Did I say that out loud :roll:
Design Engineer
Response Audio NY
www.ResponseAudioNY.com

ebag4

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 10:47:46 AM »
Thanks for the offer but I am still getting use the Bottlehead 2a3 amp I built last month.  It also matches my speakers!

Best,
Ed

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 12:14:40 PM »
  Eye candy for sure. A home demo is in order. Did I say that. :shock: A day without tubes is like a day without Sunshine, oh my what were you thinking  :duh ?

charles
SWA
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 12:36:23 PM »
Bill

Of course, the sound of these amps is the focal point of the conversation (otherwise, none of us would be here reading posts here on AN if it wasn't) but I have to say that your woodwork & finishing skills are absolutely exquisite!

:drool:

SN
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Response Audio
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2011, 07:46:59 AM »
Thanks again for all the kind words. Who's to say you can't have the best of both worlds with looks and sound. I don't think I could have a basic, plain steel chassis in my system. The various Maple grains and Bubinga have been a long time favorite of mine and when the matching preamp is complete, it should make for a nice, eye catching system. (and hopefully sound the part as well).

The speakers are large 3-way, 5 driver towers that I built many years ago. I switch these in and out with the Salk HT2-TL speakers with the RAAL ribbon.
Design Engineer
Response Audio NY
www.ResponseAudioNY.com

Offline Bunky

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2011, 12:09:45 PM »
" I would rather have a Cup of Tone than a Ocean of Power"  :drool:
Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best.
-- Frank Zappa