Author Topic: Eastern Electric MiniMax DAC Plus  (Read 22156 times)

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Eastern Electric MiniMax DAC Plus
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2011, 09:39:45 AM »
Same here... glad you're filling lots of orders, Bill. 
Is it really already the 2nd week of September?  Sheesh time is really flying this year...
I really enjoy listening to music.

BillC

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2011, 12:09:00 PM »
My EE MM DAC Plus arrived last Thursday evening, before others I am guessing because UPS knows the way to my house so well.   :D   

I have connected it to my system - sourced from a Mac Mini (stock) via USB, and from CD player via coax. 

I tested high resolution material (after a simple download to the Mac Mini) at 96 and 192.  Very initial out-of-the-box impressions are strongly positive.  I am giving it a week of burn-in before trying to render any specific thoughts on overall sound.  It is very nice to have all the input capabilities in one place.  Later !

Bill C

lonewolfny42

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2011, 07:07:18 PM »

..... :beer:

Offline Bill O'Connell

• Obsessively Audiophilic
    • http://www.morningstaraudio.com
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2011, 05:52:51 PM »
You may want to try removing the tube and playing the DAC PLUS in the SS mode. This is a fantastic tweak, although you lose the tube output capability, the SS output sounds about 25-35% better. It is quite a performance booster. I have tried this myself and it floored me as to how much better the DAC's performance now is. It is perfectly safe to run the DAC with no tube in it according to Alex Yeung the designer.
 Give this a try.
 All you need to do is remove the tube shield. To do this just push the tube shield in gently as it is spring loaded and turn about 1/4 inch counter-clockwise and the tube shield will release.
 I normally don't recommend wiggling the tube but the tube socket has a death grip on the tube pins so if you wiggle the tube gently from while pulling the tube straight out the tube will come out. It is very hard to get the tube out but be patient and it will come, by wiggling and pulling at the same time.

The effect isn't as great on the original MiniMax DAC but on the DAC PLUS it is significant, Of course your mileage may vary.

Later,
 Bill

Bill O'Connell,
Retired /Morningstar Audio/Eastern Electric distributor for North America
847-255-1150
"If your playing more than 3 chords your just showing off"  John Lee Hooker

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2011, 01:26:17 PM »
FYI, I received the DAC+ and have had it playing for over 100 hours.  I have not done the tube removal but will soon.  So far it sounds quite impressive.  I'm interested to see what the difference is when I take out the tube. 

First take:
Right now the big improvements I hear (over my current DAC, Scott Nixon's best tube DAC) are in frequency response (more bass) and much more concrete placement in the imaging.  - likely due to more details in the highs.  The EE unlocks details deep in the music.  The presentation is more forward than the SN tube DAC I'm used to, which is very laid back. 

Most people would strongly prefer the EE DAC to the SN DAC.  I think that is because there is simply more detail and range with the EE.  However, there is still a beautiful presentation from the SN DAC that allows me to relax and enjoy the music.  However, I do have very specific tastes when it comes to my connection to music. 

In another 100 hours I'll know more.. It has improved tremendously since I first fired it up.. break-in is important.

-C

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2011, 03:13:12 PM »
It's been a really long time since I listened to the 1st version EE DAC, but I don't remember enjoying the first as much as I did enjoy the mk2 today.

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2011, 05:12:24 PM »
My wife's cousin asked me for a DAC recommendation about a month ago for his Christmas present to himself. I suggested the EE MKII, but he went and bought an original on the used market instead. Shame on him. Well, it's still a sweet soundiong DAC, but I too thought the MKII was noticeably better when I heard it.

Interesting suggestion on removing the tube.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 05:14:35 PM by BobM »
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline mfsoa

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2011, 10:03:35 AM »
After hearing the substantial changes that op-amp rolling produced in the original, I wouldn't be surprised if the fact that the Plus uses different op-amps than the original is largely responsible for the improvement in SQ.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2011, 06:04:10 AM »
Why is it when I have time and interest in hifi do I have to get a cold that clogs my ears?  ARGH!
I want to listen to the DAC again today.. but can't really judge much... other than how well I can nap while listening. ;)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2011, 08:26:40 AM »
  Feel better Carlman. Freaking Murphy at work. Its breaking in anyway so no time lost. ENJOY. The original modded by Bolder DAC was impressive at our club meeting. Most liked it which is a rare occurrence in our club. ENJOY !!!

charles

contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline mca

• Certifiable
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2012, 09:20:26 AM »
Anyone have any updates on how this DAC sounds? It's at the top of my list right now...
Modwright Transporter, Ayon Spirit II Integrated, Daedalus Ulysses speakers, Running Springs Haley conditioner, Reality cables, Black Sand Violet PC's.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2012, 05:23:01 PM »
I plan to do some serious listening early next week.  I've had it burning in over 200 hours now so it should be good to go. 

Before this DAC arrived, I had committed to a DIY project of building the Buffalo DAC.  It has the sound I like at a price I can afford.  I may compare Rich's already-completed one to see how it compares... but it is of little value since very few have heard Rich's implementation of the Buffalo.

Also, Shane lent me an AMR DAC to listen to... and is still burning in.. It is a voluptuous sounding DAC but is detailed.

There is not going to be a 'best and worst' as I compare what comes through the soundroom over the next week. 

Even my Scott Nixon sounds "good" to me... it's just what flavors all of these are.  We're also talking major price differences... 5,k for the AMR vs. 1,k for the EE.  The difference is in the artfulness of the presentation.  The EE is more of a straight line, with all details presented correctly.  Wheras the AMR breaks them apart and builds something else in front of you.  My Scott Nixon shifts your focus to the heart and soul of the music with warmer mid tones and laid back details in the highs... but with limited bass extension.

I will say I'm most impressed with the bass detail of the EE DAC+ overall.. it's punchy and articulate.  Of what I've heard, that's where it stands out above the rest. 

These are just initial impressions, I'll post more later after I've spent more time... and time is what it takes to really let these things sink in...

-C