Author Topic: What do you like to hear?  (Read 5859 times)

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
What do you like to hear?
« on: April 24, 2007, 02:35:58 PM »
When you play music, what is it that you want your system to produce?

It's taken me a while and some help to describe what I want from a system.  And the best way to describe it is a 'second-generation original'.... Which means, I've realized there is no way to get an accurate reproduction of any studio recording and getting a live experience isn't going to be perfect either... So, I've decided I like a system that presents me with a musical performance that is pleasing, detailed, and satiating to my core love of music, and as if it was produced by my system for the first time... on its own.  (which, it really is)

It really made me re-think about what I want from a system.  I've seen other folks do it.. and they don't really post about their systems much anymore.. .and haven't made any changes either. (Hantra is one such animal)  I have another friend that did the same thing.  It's not just being satisfied, it's about knowing what about the whole system will satisfy you.

So, what does it for you?  What do you want from your hifi?

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

miklorsmith

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 02:50:30 PM »
Wow, great question.  I'll roll this one around the ole bean for a bit, as it deserves a pretty long answer.  Dynamic fidelity is huge for me.  A close-mic'd saxophone is an amazing thing and I really appreciate how well it can jump into the room.

I've heard lots of setups that will do big drumkits, but to get a sax right in this regard is really tough.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 03:15:24 PM »
I want to feel the emotional intensity and excitement of the performers. Listening to a Tchaikovsky or Beethoven Symphony I want to feel like I was there watching the performance, but not in the perfect acoustic reproduction sense, I want to feel the excitement in the room. Making music is very exciting especially when it comes alive and spirit takes over the performance from the musicians and they all cooperate under the "Great Conductor." Since I don't play much anymore, I miss that feeling and can find it on such performances with my system. I think the attributes that make that possible from a recording which contains the feeling is unrestricted dynamics, beautiful yet detailed tone, air and detail, hearing and feeling the acoustic signature of the recording venue at all freqs. Add to that the special quality of high power low distortion tube electronics and large drivers. I don't mind electronics adding flava to make the music feel even better, like tube magic or hyped dynamics, but SET roundness ruins it for me by obfuscating the truth and hiding the message of the Conductor. I can even get the feeling from old crappy recordings of Bird or Tatum, when there is no detail or air to be had, so there is more going on than I understand. I guess it's the performer's (or Great Conductor's) presence that permeates the music more in some performances than others. I've had the feeling from great music long before I ever had hifi, so it must be more than technical, but the feeling is more intense when you can hear more of the music with a good system.
Thanks Carl!
Rich

WEEZ

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 05:44:14 PM »
Wow, Carl :) , this could get good. Seriously, though.....hmmm..

I'd say, tonality, probably. Good octave to octave balance. Dynamics. All of what result in a convincing illusion of real instuments playing in real space..i.e., 'natural' sound. If I can close my eyes, and the sound is 'believable'...it's good sound. Lots of combinations of components can get you there. Some do it better than others, but once one discovers the so called 'high-end', I believe one is pretty much 'there'. Many times what we argue and banter over is minor, in the grand scheme of things.

Most of the time, if a component, or system of components, get's it 'right'..I can sense it almost immediately. It can be startling almost.

IMO, if a system does voice and piano well, it will likely do everything well. Voice and piano have more complex harmonics and dynamics than almost any other instrument(s); so if these sound 'right', most likely the component (or components) are worthy.

Who was it that said.."you know it when you hear it". :D

WEEZ

Offline stereofool

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 06:00:02 PM »
A very thoughtful question...Carl!

What I'm looking for...in my system...is just to be able to sit back, close my eyes, and get lost in the music.

However, some recordings are just so horrendously canned and one-dimensional (eg many of the current 'radio' poplular artists)...that even though I enjoy their music on a car radio...I just can't bear to endure how crappy it sounds on a decent system.

Now on a recording that is well miked and/or mixed...then that's where I suspend trying to pick apart how accurate the system reproduces the music, and just listen into the performance, and its nuances. Of course...often getting so relaxed that I wind up listening with my eyes rolled back in my head...zzzzzzzzz!
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 03:43:10 AM »
Great question.  I'd agree with WEEZ and Stereo.  I want to get lost.  I want dynamic and lush presentation with good tonal balance.  However, I find that the closer I get to that with good recordings, the worse the bad ones sound.

If I could find a balance that would give me what I want on good recordings yet still allow me to play the music I love that's recorded like *&#^ and have it not be distractingly bad, I'd be a happy camper.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 06:18:56 AM »
Bryan, that's what a lot of room correction, eq's and digital correction address... and I now have simple tone controls and real room correction that help me with the crappy stuff.

I like a lot of the comments about how it must sound 'natural' and 'you know it when you hear it'... because I think once we find what we think sounds 'natural' it sticks with us...

However, one thing I noticed is that you guys are starting to talk about how you want the presentation to affect you.  I find that interesting.  

Is it escape (from reality) or getting sucked into the music that's more desirable?  I've enjoyed both.  However, getting really into the nitty gritty... I get the most satisfaction if the music wakes me up and calls my attention to this 'new performance' in my room... It's like Wow! there it is!  Those cats can jam! :)  It takes a long time for that to get old. ;)

Anyway, this hobby can certainly be fun and rewarding.... but there are long times of frustration and doubt that go into it also.... I guess I'm glad to be over the hump. ;)
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 07:06:02 AM »
I guess I'm greedy Carl - I want both.  I want to say WOW - they can cook or she can sing and bring a tear to the eye - but want it to sound like they're doing it IN my room.

As for EQ, that'll be a tough one for me until I can find one that's truly transparent  when in bypass mode.  Now, in the digital domain, it's getting more tempting.  

I've been looking at this one:

http://www.symetrixaudio.com/index.php?Show=14&Show1=&Show2=257

I already run their active DA box to convert to balanced into a Symetrix 551E analog parametric for my sub but that's all only on the LFE channel of my processor.  I'm very happy with it's sound.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline bobrex

• Seeking Help
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2007, 07:42:52 AM »
Wow, what do I want....

I want a three dimensional simalcrum of the event in my listening room.  I want to hear living breathing people interacting with their instruments and conveying their messages as if I really was right there.

I can forgive certain tonal anomalies since I wasn't at the recoding session and I don't really know what was put on tape.  Likewise I can accept some dynamic compression - ain't no way that orchestra's gonna fit in my room anyway.

I'll accept some electronic editorializing as long as the net result is positive.  That's why I stick with tubes and vinyl, to me it just fills in my wish list better than most SS I've ever heard.

Mike L

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2007, 07:58:29 AM »
I am with stereo and bobrex in a lot of ways.  I can forgive or live with a lot of characteristics but I have to feel like I am a part of it....within it, and that lets me get lost.  Therefore the sound has to be big and 3 dimensional without being overly loud.  The other thing is if there is any digital edge it just ruins it for me.  A lot of people confuse digital edge as detail.  I do love detail which I would define as texture and microdynamics.  This really bring soul to the presentation for me.

Great question.

Thanks,
Mike

Offline Bill O'Connell

• Obsessively Audiophilic
    • http://www.morningstaraudio.com
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2007, 04:24:28 PM »
"When you play music, what is it that you want your system to produce? "

Better musicality then the night before.
 I believe the power company has a lot to do with it, that is why I much prefer to listen late at night. I can't get as loud as the little women lets me know when to turn it down :roll:  but I wish all would go to bed earlier , lets say 8 oclock so my power is cleaner. :)

For a few years, soundstage and imaging was high on my list. Nowadays I'm content with clarity, but prefer a tinge of warmth, and since changing out some caps in my amp I now know what grainless sounds like. Can never go back.

Biggest surprise one day was at our friends place and their daughter who I always made play the piano for me when I was over as she was growing up ( thats just what I make the kids do when uncle Bill comes over), now she has graduated and has her masters in teaching, at her graduation party of course for old times sake asked if she would indulge me with playing a piece on her baby grand, to my surprise it really had a metallic sound, moreso then I had ever heard before. All 3 of my sisters play the piano beautifully also and we always had an upright at home and its not like I never listened but even today the resonance of decay captured in the body of the piano is elusive in playback.
 There is just something about a real instrument that as much as we would like to recreate, in reality though can never be achieved. We try like all heck and once we accept the fact it is so much easier to listen and remove the critical listening mode and just try to satisfy our own musical preferences as to what we think it should sound like.
 If your a believer that it is all about the music, then may I suggest maybe attending your local church and asking if it is possible to maybe sit in on the practice sessions of the musicians who practice the day before the service. Maybe sit with the soundman at the mixing board and soak up some of his knowledge, volunteer for a month's services. One of the biggest blessings in my life was watching the musicians create what they do for Sunday service and hear the musicians working it out before hand so there was a smooth day of praise for all the congregation.

OOH, sorry about that, got a little off track :)
Bill O'Connell,
Retired /Morningstar Audio/Eastern Electric distributor for North America
847-255-1150
"If your playing more than 3 chords your just showing off"  John Lee Hooker

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2007, 06:01:44 PM »
I have to chime in here with Bill.   I was raised in a household full of musicians and in a prior life (30 years ago!) I worked sound for a couple rock bands.   There ain't nothin' like the real thing!

Ever walk by a bar with music drifting out to the street?  You know immediately whether it's live or recorded.    I don't think I've ever heard a system that could fully and convincingly reproduce the sound of live for very long, but that's what I want.  I am totally willing to be fooled, tricked, and deceived just to gain a glimpse of that.   I want Norah standing there in front of me (OK, because of her voice as well).  I want to believe it's Miles standing there playing that horn.   Bill Evans somehow snuck a concert grand piano into my living room.  

And the amazing part of this hobby is that sometimes, late at night, it works.

Black Sand Cable

Re: What do you like to hear?
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2007, 08:59:27 AM »
Quote from: "Carlman"
When you play music, what is it that you want your system to produce?

-C

Clean bass.....and loads of it! I'm a complete bass nut and spend more time on bass response than anything else.