Author Topic: New custom monoblock tube amps....  (Read 21928 times)

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
Re: New custom monoblock tube amps....
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2010, 05:23:38 AM »
Can't wait to hear comments about these amps. 

You guys have been working on these for a long time now.  Glad to see the light at the end of the tunnel I'm sure.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2010, 08:56:16 PM »
I didn't take a final picture of the boxes, but here's one of them being glued together. They are 18.5" square, and 5" high. About 100 1/2" holes in the bottom for cooling. Sol is stuffing full of yummy parts this week.

Granite countertops make a perfect glue up station.  8-[
Twist grip clamps fine tune the miters.

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Build your system for yourself, not the critics
    • Response Audio
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2010, 08:00:46 AM »
Very interesting venture Shane. Sounds like it should be a viable addition to your line. Any updates.
Design Engineer
Response Audio NY
Custom Vacuum Tube Deaign
www.ResponseAudioNY.com

Offline hometheaterdoc

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2010, 08:53:38 AM »
Sol was sick leading up to and after the 10/9 get together at Rich's...  I spoke to him at some point I think in the last week... honestly, the days run together on me.  He had them all over his living room floor as his work bench isn't big enough to work on them given the box size.... all the wiring was cut and he was ready to solder the first amp together...

more details:

in case it wasn't obvious from the pictures of the aluminum plate that Rich drilled (thanks again Rich!), these use big triode output tubes.  They use the Russian 6C33C-B tube, which is a low voltage, but serious amperage requirement for the power supply.  We're cobbling some stuff together for the power supply using a bunch of individual power transformers.  If this were to be become a commercial product, custom wound power transformers (like BAT does with Plitron) would likely be a better way to go... although Sol's approach for regulated B+ is kind of cool and appears to be rock solid stable and extremely well filtered and regulated.

The auto bias Sol has designed for these is pretty ingenious and different than any other auto bias I've seen, both for 6C33Cs and other tube amps.  I made it a requirement of the design that it also had all kinds of protections for run away tubes, slow warm up, power up and power down issues, etc. etc. etc.  The actual audio signal path circuit is extremely simple.

Driver tube right now is 6922 9 pin mini variant used as a current source.  Not sure it's staying yet... but we'll give it a listen and decide.

Output trannies are Lundahl amorphous cores... Stupid expensive.  I'm not sure I would have ordered them if I knew at the time that they have half the power rating of the standard cores... so this amp won't do full rated power from 20-20.  It will be compromised from 35Hz down.  We'll see how that changes things or affects things after we play it.  Unfortunately, I didn't find out that tidbit until after the trannies were on order from the manufacturer.

This project has taken waaaaaaaay too long to even get the first prototypes up and running.  Sol hasn't had time to work on it.  I've lost the entire summer and last number of months with health/family stuff.  I wouldn't have listened to it even if it was done and ready to start listening tests.  Even now, once the first prototypes are fired up, I'm sure there will be changes before we're done and call them a finished amplifier. 

I like this output tube and they are super cheap to replace, unlike other high power triodes.  I've got a stash of them ready to power the amps for the next number of years, as well as a stash of 6922 variants to try out in current source spot....  hopefully they sound great when first fired up and we don't have to go through too many versions.  We'll see....

Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Offline hometheaterdoc

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2010, 01:09:04 PM »
Wiring up continues...

Again, this is still a prototype to make sure the design even works... so no fancy wire, caps, and resistors just yet.  Lots of soldering left to do on this one just to get to fire up stage....  but it's getting closer.......

It'll look interesting when you flip it over and it's got everything but the tubes and input/output connectors mounted up underneath the plate...  Gotta add the spikes to give it air space to allow airflow from bottom up through bottom and out the top of the chassis....

« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 01:12:48 PM by hometheaterdoc »
Shane Sangster

Offline richidoo

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2010, 02:06:42 PM »
Lookin good Sol!

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2010, 03:31:17 PM »
It'll look interesting when you flip it over and it's got everything but the tubes and input/output connectors mounted up underneath the plate... 

I've seen plenty of designs with the passive parts mounted below deck, but I don't think I ever remember seeing the transformers down there.

Was this done simply for aesthetic reasons or is there a technical/sonic benefit from hanging the transformers upside down?
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline richidoo

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2010, 04:15:38 PM »
Just for ease of construction, this is just a prototype.

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2010, 08:28:44 PM »
Just for ease of construction, this is just a prototype.

Thanks, I was just curious. In all my years in this hobby claiming that upside down transformers improved the sound would have been far from the most outrageous idea that I have heard.   :duh  :lol:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline richidoo

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2010, 08:37:50 PM »
Yup...

There's some shielding considerations in the tranny layout, but no concern for upside down.

Offline hometheaterdoc

« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2011, 04:44:05 PM »
Updates....

These are juuuuuuuuuuust about ready to make music...  the delays have been numerous... most of it had to do with Sol being stupid busy with work and not having time to work on these at all evenings and weekends.... or just being too wiped out and wanting to do anything else *but* work on amps after a long day at the office...  But a good chunk of the delays have also been attributed to things not quite working as expected once you start putting theory into practice...  The circuits have been redesigned a few times... but we're finally at a point where Sol feels it's close to being done and shouldn't change anymore...

I'm excited to report that other than some final tweaking on the negative bias supply, these are pretty much ready to have their first listen....

The latest features and specs:

- This is a fully balanced circuit from input to output if you feed it balanced to its XLR inputs... there is switched inputs, either RCA or XLR....

- push-pull output with a pair of 6C33C output tubes.  Power output is measured on the scope at least 72 watts from below 20Hz out past 20KHz with only some very minor 3rd order harmonic distortion.  The proof will be in the listening, but it appears the amorphous core Lundahl output transformers are going to be up to the task...

- driver circuit is a 6922 DC coupled to a 6SN7.  There is only one coupling cap in the entire circuit between 6SN7 and the 6C33C tubes.  It's about the only area of the amp that can be tweaked beyond the good parts used elsewhere...  copper in oil, duelands, etc... I'm going to experiment on this one....

- The power supplies for everything, including B+, is fully regulated... it doesn't matter what kind of crappy power is fed to it, it is beautiful, rock solid power being fed to the tubes.  

- The amplifier has got the coolest auto bias I've ever seen.  Unlike almost every other 6C33C based amp I've seen, this is spectacularly good at holding bias rock solid automatically.  I've seen how much 6C33Cs can drift with another amp I have here... no worries with this amplifier....  The only drawback, if you can call it that, is that the auto bias needs the tubes to come up to temperature a little bit on first power up.  So ideally, you shouldn't listen to the amp for the first couple to 5 minutes after firing it up...  there is a mute circuit built into the amp so you don't need to power cycle it to swap interconnects, preamps/sources, etc..  

- lots of cool safety features to shutdown the B+ and amp if tubes run away or otherwise don't stay in ideal operating parameters... if a tube goes in the amp, it's not going to take a speaker with it... or even parts within the amp with it....

again, the proof will be in the listening... but Sol's enthusiasm wore off on me today when we talked...  I have a feeling this is going to be a nice sounding amplifier....  I can't wait to hear it now...
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 05:11:29 PM by hometheaterdoc »
Shane Sangster

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2011, 08:18:47 AM »
  Looking good Shane. Hope it works out for ya. Looks like a candidate for home demo. Best of luck with your new venture.

charles
SMA
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline hometheaterdoc

« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2011, 07:01:00 AM »
finally got over to Rich's yesterday to pick up the amplifiers from him...  he got to enjoy them for a few extra days :)

got them back here, installed the footers for them, fired them up and listened for a few hours last night.  They need to break in (and I put in a new set of Black Treasure CV-181s in the 6SN7 slots to break in as well)... so not the time to be making any definitive comments on final sonics...

they're definitely space heaters though... those 6C33C tubes need a lot of current... they're not summer amps for guys in small rooms with no A/C :) hehehe... 

they also are *huge* sounding...  very different soundstage and imaging presentation... even far field listening sounds a bit more nearfield.... wall to wall sound.... from 8 feet outside each speaker, front to back layering... and oh my the air on everything...  best the Usher Mini 2s have ever sounded in this room...

more break-in needed...  and a few tweaks still to come to the parts used...  the picture showing partial wiring by Sol is nothing like they look right now... every square inch of that plate is used by stuff underneath...
Shane Sangster

Offline stereofool

« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2011, 09:35:14 AM »
They sounded VERY good at Rich's G2G, and that was with no time on them.

If, with tweaks, the sound improves markedly, then I can only imagine what an 'eargasm' you will be experiencing  :rofl:!
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Offline richidoo

« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2011, 11:29:08 AM »
I think Sol said that they dissipate about 500W. They are class A up to 10W, plus the heaters, transformers and regulators.