Author Topic: New Power cord manufacturer.....  (Read 16439 times)

Offline hometheaterdoc

• Obsessively Audiophilic
New Power cord manufacturer.....
« on: March 24, 2010, 10:55:15 AM »
They're a dime a dozen these cable manufacturers :) hehehehe.... But I was chatting with a friend yesterday who got introduced to an affordable power cord that bested everything they threw at it in a power cord shootout meet recently.  It included some very, very pricey cords and was a unanimous vote as favorite... Not a brand name anyone is familiar with. 

It piqued my interest.  So I'm working on getting a couple of them in to try and compare.  I know how we hate cable comparisons, but thought this might interest some folks.  It's slightly more expensive at MSRP than a JPS Labs Power AC+.  Maybe for Carl's upcoming get together we can show them off and do a comparison?  I hopefully will have a couple of them by then and can share some thoughts from listening in my systems.....
Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Black Sand Cable

Re: New Power cord manufacturer.....
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 07:18:55 PM »
They're a dime a dozen these cable manufacturers Smile hehehehe....

As are audio dealers!  :rofl:

got introduced to an affordable power cord that bested everything they threw at it in a power cord shootout

It always makes me chuckle when a new power cord, interconnects, speaker wire etc get mentioned as it always starts with the line above. It's never good, decent or great, it's always better than anything else that was there!

Not picking on Shane at all, just pointing it out as I find it amusing.

I must ask though, why the secrecy on the manufacturer of this cord Shane? Let's have some details.

Offline hometheaterdoc

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 08:22:08 PM »
Touche, John. 

I was specifically referring to non-established brands that pop up all the time.  Get some stock wire, put some pretty techflex on it, slap some ends on it and you have yourself a cable business.  yeah, they have to start somewhere, but more often than not, there isn't really anything there that's different than the next guy. 

This is something an engineer worked up and I think they are potentially partnering with a larger cable manufacturer to offer the design through their brand.  Nothing set in stone.  So I can't really say yet the brand or give details. 

Until I get my hands on it and listen myself for a period of time, it will remain the mystery cable.  The only reason I even mentioned it was for the locals as several have indicated they were still looking for a power cord upgrade from their current stuff. 

I know several of the folks that listened to the cord at the shootout meeting and know their ears.  The list of cables used in the shootout was pretty extensive and well respected.  If they said it was better and by a wide margin, it's worthy enough to give it an audition and see if it's just another fly by night fad or if there is something to it.  I don't often pull any punches.  If I like it, I like it.  If I hate it and think it sounds like crap, I'll let everyone know it sounds like crap.  As Rich says, I hate everything.  So my list of dislikes is a whole lot longer than my likes.  This may end up in the like column, but I doubt it....

I found it intriguing because of its price point.  It's not a $20 "miracle" cable.  It isn't exactly super cheap.  However, it's not $1500 MSRP like a JPS Kaptovator either.  I have a pretty healthy dose of skepticism going into this.  But if it sounds better than JPS, by all means, I'll let folks know and we'll give it a whirl in a shootout or pass it around to some of the locals to try in systems to compare with what they are currently using.  I don't like to spend money any more than the next guy.  So I'm always on the lookout for value stuff.
Shane Sangster

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 11:59:50 PM »
Hey Shane,

Thanks for the follow up and an even bigger thanks for not taking offense to what I posted. I was honestly not trying to be a smart ass. I was simply pointing out something that I think happens a fair bit and you took it in stride.  :thumb:

Offline hometheaterdoc

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 04:35:02 AM »
No problemo, John.  I knew where you going..... and I agree with you.
Shane Sangster

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 06:05:21 AM »
Always curious, but increasingly skeptical (damn, Shane, maybe you're rubbing off on me :duh.   

I have become a believer, however, in the substantial effect power has on audio so the hook in what you say, Shane, is if a new engineering concept is in play in the design of the cable. 

FWIW, I think what pulls us in on this stuff is that different power cables do sound different, but system and listener dependencies are often what define better.   Yet, some power cords have consistently sounded better than others across many different systems and to many different listeners and that strikes me as an important measure of a better designed cable.  (and certainly John's Silver Refs and the JPS cables seem to do so based on numerous local G2Gs). 

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 07:06:19 PM »
I agree, Mike.. 'better' is essentially 'difference that we like'.  In my system, Black Sand's cables still reign supreme.  I did like the JPS AC+ on the preamp, though.. It had a 'just right' sound.. then I changed tubes.. and that combo sounded better with the latest 'Statement 1' cable from Black Sand.  So, that's where it sits today.. just humming along sounding groovy.

Not many have heard my system since Rich helped me pad the tweeters a bit.. It is milky smooth and still beautifully detailed to my ears.  I have no interest in changing anything else.  It's rare to hear someone say they're truly done.. but I think I am.  I've been done since the tweeters were fixed.  I'm like, wow, that was it!

Anyway.. power cables.. preferences.. yes, yes... and if we have time at the end of the next meet, we'll swap them in on the preamp.. that's where the biggest difference is usually heard.

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline hometheaterdoc

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 11:26:56 AM »
We'll skip it for your get together, Carl.... I'd rather focus on your idea for the get together.  I'll bring them in case folks really really want to do it at the end...  but  not sure I will have them at that point anyways.  No update yet on if they are on their way or not. 

We'll do something either by passing them around to the locals that are interested or I'll have another go round once all these plans come together and some of the new gear arrives...
Shane Sangster

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 03:18:01 PM »
Shane, I'm curious.   Any chance it's related to the "Best Audio Cables in the World" thread over on AC?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 03:19:57 PM by mdconnelly »

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2010, 05:00:48 PM »
A long while ago Nagys started a similar thread claiming the best coupling cap in the world was Vishay MKT1822.  I tried some for Grounded Grid preamp, and a Pass B1 preamp. For the price of $1/uF they are OK, better than Solens, but they certainly are NOT the best in the world. So until I hear otherwise from trusted ears I will continue to be skeptical of Nagys hype. I am always skeptical of cheap, giant killer cables. Beware the giant killers.

From http://www.nagysaudio.com/
"Luxury Audio Cables?"   :roll:
"Capable of incredible softness and extreme violence?"   :shock:

Now that really hurts my imagination.  :duh

Offline hometheaterdoc

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2010, 05:29:25 PM »
Nope, definitely not the same person.  I'll give you a call....
Shane Sangster

Mike L

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2010, 06:58:09 PM »
Shane, I'm curious.   Any chance it's related to the "Best Audio Cables in the World" thread over on AC?

I thought for sure this was that. :shock:

Offline satfrat

• Dallas Cowboys,, America's Team!
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2010, 10:30:26 PM »

I thought for sure this was that. :shock:

I thought for sure that it wasn't. :roll:

I'll give Shane way more credit than that.  8)

Cheers,
Robin
Butler 3150 amps, Sunfire Theater Grand 4 processor, Mhdt Havana w/Vitamin Q cap bypass, HTPC, Empirical Off-Ramp 3 w/Ultraclock & Hynes PS, Odyssey Audio Lorelei's, Usher X-616's, Ridge Street Audio Poiema!!! IC/SC, BPT & UberBuss power conditioners

shep

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2010, 12:11:36 AM »
Thank heavens  :duh

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2010, 05:40:49 AM »
Thank heavens  :duh

Yes for little girls "Thank Heaven"

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.