Author Topic: 2L free hirez downloads  (Read 4975 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
2L free hirez downloads
« on: April 06, 2010, 04:34:55 PM »
2L is a Norwegian audiophile classical recording label. They have some mighty fine recordings.  And some demos on their "test bench."

http://www.2l.no/hires/index.html

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
Re: 2L free hirez downloads
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 06:18:52 AM »
Which version do we download and burn to CD so it will play on a regular player? 24/192 or 24/96
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 09:37:46 AM »
You'll have to convert flac to wav, then dither it down to 16 bit, 44.1kHz in order to play on a CD player. Maybe freeware Audacity can do that? These are only single tracks, demos to promote their hi rez offerings. So it might not be worth the effort to download the huge files just to boil them down to redbook. Although the 2L recordings I have on a demo disk they sent out last year has extremely great audio quality. Do you want a copy, Bob? 

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 05:59:38 PM »
A lot of free software can down-convert from 24/96 flac.  I use Mediamonkey to take such recordings to MP3 for my portable player or when I want to burn to a CD.   I've been quite pleased with it although I still only use EAC to rip CDs.   But I'm pretty sure Foobar can handle these higher-res flacs as well.

What I'm curious about is what you can do with the DXD sourced files such as the Stereo DFF recordings.  Is there a way to play those from your computer or burn them to SACD disks (assuming you have an SACD player)?  What software would you use to down-convert those?  I just haven't run into it before.

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 09:20:53 PM »
Is there a way to play those from your computer or burn them to SACD disks (assuming you have an SACD player)?  What software would you use to down-convert those?  I just haven't run into it before.

Maybe I am just having a brain fart, but I thought there was no commercially available hardware to burn SACD discs. If you need some kind of high capacity optical disc I would think your first choice would be a DVD-R.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 06:10:30 AM »
Is there a way to play those from your computer or burn them to SACD disks (assuming you have an SACD player)?  What software would you use to down-convert those?  I just haven't run into it before.

Maybe I am just having a brain fart, but I thought there was no commercially available hardware to burn SACD discs. If you need some kind of high capacity optical disc I would think your first choice would be a DVD-R.

Exactly.  I was engaged in a discussion elsewhere where someone was advocating using a Korg M1 to rip vinyl to DSD rather than to 24/96 PCM.  Evidentally the Korg itself can play it back.   But, doesn't that then lock you in to the DSD format?  Are there tools that let you convert a DSD digital file to 24/96 PCM or burn to a standard CD?   The Korg is pricey and I doubt I'd ever go down that path, but I can't help but think I'm missing something.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 06:37:56 AM »
This TASCAM will record DSD. http://www.tascam.com/products/dv-ra1000hd.html

DXD is not DSD. In conversion the processing does take its toll. Better to stay pure DSD throughout if SACD is the final goal. But pure DSD editors are pro only very expensive. Sony Sonoma, and SADiE are the only native DSD editors that I know of, but I haven't followed it closely for 5 years.
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/37573-dsd-editor-questions.html
http://www.proaudioreview.com/article/1058

Mike the 2L demo is in my dropbox, if you want it.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 10:41:05 AM »
Rich - thanks.  I see the 2L Demo 2007 folder in the shared dropbox but the folder is empty.

I was just surprised to see that they are offering a DSD 64 download.  It's not clear what you'd do with it unless you are in the pro business.