Author Topic: Niteshade  (Read 25713 times)

Offline Bunky

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: Niteshade
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2010, 04:40:38 PM »
If the NS-40 performs the way Blair says it does it is possible that it may be a keeper. i am very particular in that i need a amplifier that is musical , fast and will deliver details without seeming too clinical .in effect a tube amp that does everything well without being overly sweet or euphonic or going too far in the other direction and sounding hard or sterile like a solid state amp can sometimes do.I am currently running a VTL ST-150 rated at 75wpc triode 150 wpc tetrode. my Sonatina 2's are rated 93 db efficient so 40+ tube wpc should be more than enough to drive them nicely....WCW III
Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best.
-- Frank Zappa

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2010, 05:58:35 PM »
Hey Charles I just finished with the Beacon two on tour and sent it on to the next recipient somewhere in Michigan. I got to say I was favorably impressed by this unit.

I'm on his preamp tour, he is trying to get one for our club meeting let you know. He talks the talk now we walk the walk. Actually Blair is a really nice man. I like his design philosophy, using simple old well proven circuits with the option of todays parts. Simple clean and the right price.

charles
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2010, 09:02:58 PM »
What amp did you use with the Beacon, Ed? Is the output impedance still relatively high, several thousand ohms? That was a couple years ago talking on AC about Beacon 1.

I think that the old iron that Blair uses is his secret ingredient. A great tube amp has to have great output transformers. That vintage "tube sound" comes largely from transformers intended for mass market tube gear, be it new or old. One listen to OTL (with appropriate load) shows that it's not the tubes making the warm glow. I think we have similar taste in tube amps Bunky. Can't wait to hear how you like the Niteshade.

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2010, 05:31:39 AM »
A 29 year old Bryston 4B I sent back to Bryston back in May for upgrade/recapping.

Gene
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2010, 05:37:35 AM »
That's a tougher load than a typical a tube amp, good to know! Thanks