Author Topic: Niteshade  (Read 25712 times)

shep

Niteshade
« on: February 14, 2010, 02:44:56 AM »
I have nothing much to contribute these days. I'm waiting on some cables from Grover, a good moment to send my CDP back for more modding and a response from the guy who built my speakers about a tweeter up-grade, so basically I'm just lurking on the sidelines. But, I do peruse what's going on at AC. I'm intigued by this Niteshade amp stuff. Within a short period he has managed to vitually monopolize the tube section, with lots of pretty pictures and he sure talks the talk. The work looks good, as do the designs (as far as I can judge) but has anyone actually heard anything he builds?

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: Niteshade
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 07:33:19 AM »
I have nothing much to contribute these days. I'm waiting on some cables from Grover, a good moment to send my CDP back for more modding and a response from the guy who built my speakers about a tweeter up-grade, so basically I'm just lurking on the sidelines. But, I do peruse what's going on at AC. I'm intigued by this Niteshade amp stuff. Within a short period he has managed to vitually monopolize the tube section, with lots of pretty pictures and he sure talks the talk. The work looks good, as do the designs (as far as I can judge) but has anyone actually heard anything he builds?

Shep he has intriuged me as well. One of our members bought an amp which he will have in his hands in about 2 weeks. Afer some break - in we have a date to bring it over to my place for a listen.
  I will write up a review compared to a AR Classic 60 and modified Cyber 211 SETs. Our club member mentioned how nice it was to deal with Bill. Very helpfull and engaged. Good to hear, now if the amp sounds as promised cool.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 05:00:47 PM »
I thought his name was Blair?  Is it Bill?  Regardless, seems like a neat idea to recycle old transformers and put them into new gear that uses vintage design concepts.  Or at least, that's what I get by reading his site.  Is he a hobbyist selling a few amps or a real business looking to sell a lot of stuff?  I would think he'd run out of NOS transformers... maybe there are more out there than I thought.

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 05:56:16 PM »
Regardless, seems like a neat idea to recycle old transformers and put them into new gear that uses vintage design concepts.  -C

There is an "art" to winding transformers... some of the older UTC, Peerless, etc. designs & craftsmanship get big bucks on the used market... the fidelity of the old transformers is something else, too. I have an old (early 60's) Fisher 500C receiver in upstate NY at my Dad's home. The thing must weigh at least 50 lbs due to the iron (power supply & 2 output trannies)... sounds heavenly with ~ 35 watts a channel. Appears to have all the original caps as well...

We really haven't come very far... people still copying & making the old 1938 design for the Western Electric 91A amplifier...

www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

bacobits

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 06:18:02 PM »
His name is Blair Lamphere and he is a business. I also had been watching. 
He'll make anything custom too. The retro look to his equipment looks pretty cool. Prices reasonable.
Some of the old Dynaco Trannies are supposed to be pretty good.
I have not read anywhere on how his stuff sounds, so I'll be looking for Charles' report.

From his intro at AC:

Hello! I am Blair Lamphear, owner of Niteshade Audio and Lamphear Electronics.

Lamphear Electronics is registered New York State business dedicated to the construction of high performance computers (not basic office computers) as well as computer repair, renovating and upgrades.

Niteshade Audio is a branch of Lamphear Electronics dedicated to audio engineering. I design the following:

Amplifiers
Preamplifiers
Power supplies
Cables (interconnect and power)

Please keep in touch! Don't be shy about posting. I enjoy answering questions about my products as well as general electronics and systems questions.

D

lonewolfny42

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 07:42:30 PM »
I have not read anywhere on how his stuff sounds...

Right.....no one has posted any reviews....at least I've not seen or heard them.

Looks like an audition tour may happen....we'll see.

shep

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 11:38:37 PM »
I don't mean to be disparaging, I was just bemused how he suddenly appeared like the Good Humour man in his white truck (red) with bells and whistles; kind of like the tube savior. He sure jumped in the deep end of the pool. It's a fiercely contested patch, where the tubes grow, and AC has it's share. He's kind of like a modern version of Harvey Rosenberg, or maybe Bob Carter. Blair...that's it.
Well if his products are as good as his brashness, I guess we'll be hearing a lot about him in time. I rather fancy that SEP amp design myself.  :D

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 07:16:18 AM »
Blair it is my mistake. When the amp is available to audition if you are in NY let me know and you can hear it for yourself. BTW I have a Fisher 101 intergrated with some fine Iron. So maybe a project down the road. We shall see.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 09:38:28 AM »
He's kind of like a modern version of Harvey Rosenberg......

Well, if Blair is the new Harvey Rosenberg, hang on to your hats. Gizmo was a genuine whack job. Made amazing equipment, but he was nuttier that a fruitcake (My kind of people   :D ). If you ever want a good laugh, read the owners manual for the Moscode 600.  It is a relatively short document and more than half of it is dedicated to his recommendations for spiritually preparing yourself for hearing the Moscode for the first time. I have owned that amp since 1986 and I still laugh out loud every time I show someone the manual. If you have never seem it let me know and I can send you a scan.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

ebag4

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 10:06:35 AM »
I don't mean to be disparaging, I was just bemused how he suddenly appeared like the Good Humour man in his white truck (red) with bells and whistles; kind of like the tube savior. He sure jumped in the deep end of the pool. It's a fiercely contested patch, where the tubes grow, and AC has it's share. He's kind of like a modern version of Harvey Rosenberg, or maybe Bob Carter. Blair...that's it.
Well if his products are as good as his brashness, I guess we'll be hearing a lot about him in time. I rather fancy that SEP amp design myself.  :D
I have found Blair to be very forthcoming and helpful to anyone with questions about tube amps in his 1+ years of posting on AC.  I too would be interested in hearing from folks that have tried his amps.

Best,
Ed

shep

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2010, 10:21:58 AM »
It's quite extraordinary, how many people are jumping on the tube bandwagon, a tchnology that was practically dead not so long ago. From China to Serbia, Italy, Australia, everywhere there are people re-inventing, renewing and re-discovering tube technology. It's quite something. And here I am, firmly encamped in the furthest thing from warm bottles...ICE amps, somewaht wistfully reading about all this stuff. Aside from "papa" Pass and his new J2 fet designs, there isn't much being innovated on the transistor side of the fence. I'm glad to hear Blair is a nice guy. Maybe he will make a name for himself, although the competition is fierce, there's certainly room for more, especially if he can keep his prices down.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2010, 11:33:34 AM »
I don't think tubed gear ever went away (completely) in hifi, Shep.  So, I don't see what's happening as a resurgence.. much like vinyl gear.. it's always been around in hifi... just not in mainstream.
-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

shep

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 11:54:30 AM »
I know Carl, but it was teetering towards, if not extinction, very marginal. Tube factories were closing. Ironic that the Russians and the Chinese kept the faith, so to speak.

Offline allenzachary

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2010, 01:28:00 PM »
Shep- I don't find it ironic at all that China and Russia still keep the faith with tubes.  Tubes are much more resistant to the Electromagnetic Pulses created by nuclear blasts.  Think about it.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2010, 02:24:05 PM »
Most tubes are made for musical instrument amps.