Author Topic: Eastern Electric DAC  (Read 9769 times)

Offline Bill O'Connell

• Obsessively Audiophilic
    • http://www.morningstaraudio.com
Eastern Electric DAC
« on: October 21, 2009, 07:09:15 PM »
 Hi Guys,

Looking for a DAC that incorporates the new ESS Technologies Sabre 32bit ES9018 DAC chip. We are making them. Volume/gain control, RCA & XLR outputs, Inputs we will have : RCA, BNC, optical, AES/EBU and USB 2.0 or up.
 I'm taking orders. $600 plus shipping from 60004 once they arrive in the states, probably $25 to ship.50% down,remaining balance due at time of shipping

$700 once they arrive in states if not pre ordered

We may also make a tube output option if anyone is interested.Cost would be a little bit more though.

email:  bill@morningstaraudio.com
Bill O'Connell,
Retired /Morningstar Audio/Eastern Electric distributor for North America
847-255-1150
"If your playing more than 3 chords your just showing off"  John Lee Hooker

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
Re: Eastern Electric DAC
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 07:23:06 PM »
Any more detailed info on this Bill?

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 07:26:57 PM »
Wow, what a price!!  Thanks Bill - you da man.  :thumb:

I have a DIY dac with that chip, it sounds AWESOME and it cost me more than $600 to build it, and I had to make my own box out of masonite!  :D  Can't wait to hear Alex's output stage. If it's better than the opamps in my diy I will switch.  I miss being a Morningstar owner.  :(

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 05:39:33 AM »
Bill... very, very tempting :drool:   Any pictures, spec details, early listening comments?

Offline Bill O'Connell

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 07:23:11 PM »
I spoke with Alex yesterday to finalize exactly what we will be building.
 After much input from a lot of folks, thank you all , we have decided on this.
 We have eliminated the XLR output as to do this correctly(using no op-amps) for true balanced would have raised the price 35-40% so just an RCA out.

We will have a tube amp stage. NOT just a tube thrown on the end as a tube buffer.
 There will be a switch involved so you can bypass the tube output stage and have an untouched signal.
I'm excited about this ,depending on your mood and music choice, sometimes a little tube warmth for some of those not so well recordings that all of us have, or your just mellowing out with a glass of scotch with some lovely vocals(insert wife's voice :rofl:) listening to some nice jazz, or acoustic music where tube presence is welcomed this DAC should do the trick. If listening to classical or genre where stark untouched reality is wanted, hit the switch to bypass the tube output.
 It will have a volume control also.
 Bad news is with the newly implimented tube stage the price has gone up $45, sorry but the extra parts cost money and who in their right mind wouldn't pay $45 to have the option of a tube output. :duh, No brainer right.
 There will not be a BNC input as it is redundant having the RCA.

Preorder price is now $645
When they hit the states $745
 The order will take 2 months to build and another month to ship over by boat, if you want it Air shipped to your door when built we can arrange to do that for you .

Sorry, about the increase but it is what it is.
 Thanks,
 Bill O'Connell
email:bill@morningstaraudio.com

Bill O'Connell,
847-255-1150

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 05:25:26 AM »
If this DAC sounds as good as I hope, the price will be the last thing on my mind. 8)
Looking forward to hearing it, Bill.. Thanks for keeping us all in the loop.. And thanks for polling customers/trusted ears for thoughts/ideas on the design choices. 
-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 07:32:28 AM »
Hey Bill sounds like we have some potential here. Very cool features. It has everything I would want except a invert polarity switch. IMO one of the most important features a DAC or CDP should have. CDs are notoriously out of phase.
   IMO if the price is under $1000 for all those features and it sounds good as is with the option of tune rolling BRILLANT!! Now if you could add that switch and still stay under $850 your in like FLynn. Our club would love to audition this when available . It fits right in economically for most members.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Bill O'Connell

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 09:47:54 PM »
Hi Charles,
  I'm hoping Alex can throw a polarity switch in there, you are not the only one who would like to see that incorporated into the DAC. I have asked, hopefully Alex will throw one in. Between those who have asked for headphone jack( sorry just can't be done properly, sure it could run a crummy set but for more demanding phones a dedicated headphone section is needed) maybe in the future we can add on but for now the cost in these economic times is a consideration to ponder upon.

Just a heads up, another week on the introductory price. :D Get it while you can if possible, I promise it will be worth the weight and also the cost! :thumb:
Bill O'Connell,
847-255-1150

Offline Bill O'Connell

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009, 08:50:49 AM »
Hi Charles & others,

I just confirmed with Alex that a polarity switch will be installed. :thumb:
Bill O'Connell,
847-255-1150

Bravophase

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2009, 09:38:26 AM »
Hi Guys, this is Alex from Eastern Electric. Thanks for all your interest of our new DAC. As Bill just mentioned, there is a polarity switch to cater your out of phase CDs  :-P

Alex

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2009, 09:45:43 AM »
Awesome.. can't wait to discuss this DAC in the 'bi-polar' area.. haha..
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2009, 06:56:08 AM »
Hi Guys, this is Alex from Eastern Electric. Thanks for all your interest of our new DAC. As Bill just mentioned, there is a polarity switch to cater your out of phase CDs  :-P

Alex

Excellent decision. A major feature at that price. Be sure to market that feature it will pay off. Thanks Alex. Need a beta tester ? It would be compared to a Lector CDP 7 and a Musicstreamer plus USB DAC. Using a tubed system with Pipedreams.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Bill O'Connell

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2009, 05:22:22 PM »
Hi All,

There is now a drawing of what the DAC will look like here.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=72820.100 

The phase button looks pretty cool, nice feature,thanks Rollo :thumb:. Trust me though, you weren't the only one who requested the phase switch. :drool:

Preorder price still in effect. $645 plus estimated $25 for shipping =$670.
1/2 down=$335 8)

Get them while you can.

Thanks,
 Bill
Bill O'Connell,
847-255-1150