Author Topic: GIK Art Panels  (Read 21782 times)

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
Re: GIK Art Panels
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2009, 02:01:21 PM »
Still trying to work with Glenn.  The printing is very expensive to have done.  Basically, right now, it looks like $140 for a 2'x4' print until we get up to around 15 pcs (or combination of 2x2's, 4x4's, etc. to be equivalent).  After that, we can probably do a bit more but not sure how much.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline hometheaterdoc

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2009, 03:10:31 PM »
I need at least the equivalent of 15 myself... but not at $140 each...  please find out the volume price and shoot me a PM.  Thanks!

Also, all of these will be black and white... no color... so that should make things a bit easier?

Those prices don't include the price to use an Istockphoto shot, correct?  we provide that to you and the $140 is for just a piece of fabric dyed, correct?

« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 03:18:26 PM by hometheaterdoc »
Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2009, 04:07:23 AM »
Unfortunately, that was the volume price.  Normally, they go for $155 and even at that, we're making very very little.

Offline hometheaterdoc

« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2009, 07:32:26 AM »
Thanks for checking.  Count me out for now.  I'll try to find another way to get it done.
Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2009, 08:03:56 AM »
I'm still working on it to see if the printer will give us a break if we're doing a lot at once.  I'm not holding my breath though.  The price we're getting now is considerably less than several other places we checked with and it's based on printing a single 4x6 with multiple pics on it already.

Bryan

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2009, 08:18:18 AM »
Thanks Bry. I'm still interested. It is not cheap, but maybe just as valuable as a big tapestry that I could actually tolerate looking at everyday (not Tuscany Sunset) or an oriental rug that is not acoustically transparent.

Questeonies for the bPapester:
Is it printed on Guilford 701? Shade of white?
Can you do full color printing?
Do you accept graphics rated R? X?  XXX?  Is the printer a prude?
How much does the dye sub ink clog the fabric and reduce transparency? On paper dye-sub can be shiny. Maybe there are different kinds of ink without varnish?
Since I was the first to propose the idea of custom graphics on AC can I get a special discount (more than Shane is all I care about) or maybe a royalty per sq foot?  Thanks... ;)

Suggested custom graphics for guaranteed WAF:
Your (her) wedding picture
Your (her) kids
Her parents
Her parents wedding picture (slam dunk - if she says shit about this one, you can tell on her)
NOT her parents' other kids
NOT your parents or their kids
NOT Ferrari, Beethoven, F15, Stallion, Picasso, Dogs playing Cards, maybe van gogh
NOT nude, unless it's you. But that would distract from listening experience.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2009, 08:37:58 AM »
Me being nude would absolutely be a distraction, and not a good one.  :shock: :-&

I don't know if the printer would have issues with less than politically correct subject matter.  I kind of doubt it.

The cloth is not Guilford but a special cloth that is the best we've found for both printing and the acoustic performance.  It is a white but we can have borders printed around a graphic in a solid color.

It is full color printing.

The reason it's so expensive is that it is the Dye Sub which is the only method that won't impact the acoustical performance.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2009, 01:53:03 PM »
Bryan,

How well does it do with hi-res photography?  Just wondering what kind of resolution you can expect in this process onto cloth.   Also, if you're printing 3 2x4 prints at a time onto a 4x6 sheet, are you breaking a single image apart into three components or do you need 3 separate appropriately sized/scaled image files.

I'm still interested although the price of 3 2x4 prints at $140 a print has me evaluating alternatives (as in, the wall looks pretty good just like it is - maybe I'll just buy 3 cases of wine instead ;-)

Offline stereofool

« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2009, 03:22:55 PM »
maybe I'll just buy 3 cases of wine instead ;-)

There you go Mike...3 cases of wine and you won't care what anything looks like  :rofl:!!!
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2009, 03:48:24 PM »
But it would make for some fun GTGs!

lonewolfny42

« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2009, 04:10:41 PM »
maybe I'll just buy 3 cases of wine instead ;-)

There you go Mike...3 cases of wine and you won't care what anything looks like  :rofl:!!!
But after all the wine is gone....the panels would still be there...and doing their job.

Their a good "investment".... ;)

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2009, 07:29:48 PM »
The better the resolution of the file and the closer to the size and ratio of the finished product, the better the results will be.

Yes - it's expensive, but everything is relative. 

Bryan

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2009, 04:05:10 AM »
Dye sub is an expensive way to print but yields excellent image quality and color saturation... And since it has the lowest impact on material reflection, is a great solution for us.  As with anything that's basically ideal in every way, it's expensive.  Not everyone will be able to afford or appreciate what you're doing.. the time it went into figuring it out, made in the USA, etc. 
Best of luck,
Carl
I really enjoy listening to music.