Author Topic: Power Tube quandry  (Read 20442 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Power Tube quandry
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2008, 02:04:44 PM »
Manley couldn't find anything wrong, works fine. So it's shipping back to me tomorrow. I can't wait to get it back and try the new tubes.

miklorsmith

« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2008, 02:20:58 PM »
So what all new d'ya got?   :D

Offline richidoo

« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2008, 01:16:17 PM »
Manley sent me a new set of Electro Harmonix 6CA7s since the JJs they sold me are grenading after only 300 hours. They have changed the OEM tube to the EHs. UPS tracking says the amp should be back home by Monday.

Meantime I am playing Sol Samet's newest integrated 60 watt ss amp, wow is it awesome! Unbelievable power and clarity. He just put in a new input section which opened it up a huge amount. He will tweak the output devices layout once more to dispell a touch of upper order distortion. If he can pull that off I would use this amp as reference. No boutique parts, it's all just solid engineering - old school. I will be glad to compare it to some great tube amps soon.

miklorsmith

« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2008, 02:50:30 PM »
Sweet!  When you get it perfected you can send it my way.   ;)

Offline richidoo

« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2008, 04:03:16 PM »
Of course!

Offline richidoo

« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2008, 02:25:34 PM »
I finally got the naughty Snapper back from checkup. It was blowing main fuse for no good reason, but it was cured by the time it arrived at Manley for service (Thanks UPS!!)  :roll:  No more JJ tubes in my babies!

The new EH tubes sound fantastic. They have only about 5 hours so far, but have come alive already. I expect it to continue to improve, but already I can tell they are keepers. I am so happy about that. I did not want to chase tubes again.  Now I hope they stay reliable. The bias is already rock solid. JJs never (ever) settled down.

The tubes are just as clear and 3D as the JJs, maybe will be even moreso with more burning. I think they are slightly thicker, more meaty, but I exoect that to change, not sure which way it will go. The tone is gentler, that exciting "Snappiness" is greatly relaxed which is a nice improvement. The amps had a bit of an attitude before, that was ou of character with some music that I liked, although it was perfect for rock. That attitude is mostly gone, but the speed and authority remains. Bass is a big improvement. It actually slams a little now, good impact, much better than the JJs. Rock is full and satisfying, but not overwhelming like it is sometimes fun to do. It is dry and fast and punchy, very nice. It will improve as the tubes come in, just like the JJs did, wet up and get more polished and richer.

One thing that is interesting, without the snappiness of the JJs, the music stands alone by itself in space, with less color, easier to relax and listen to music. The amps are not really in the picture as much anymore. I hope that quality improves even more.

Dynamics might be just a smidge less lightning bolt than the JJs which were unbelievable, and that was the big thing that was so dissappointing about all the other tubes I had tried. These are good enough at 90%+ of the dynamics of JJs.

So far so good!! EH 6CA7's are excellent EL-34 type tubes!
Rich

mgalusha

« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2008, 07:10:14 PM »
Nice to hear the amps are happy and perhaps better than ever with the new tubes.  :D

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2008, 06:12:11 AM »
It's so nice to hear things are gellin' again for you, Rich.
It's also good to hear there are some good sounding EH tubes.  I haven't had much luck with them in the smaller versions.. (6922 or 12AX7) They sounded OK but nothing special.  They may get a little 'snappier' with burn-in rather than settling down... will be interesting to hear either way.

Keep enjoying the tunes! 

BTW, this is the first time I've heard of UPS fixing a problem with audio gear. ;)
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2008, 08:59:36 AM »
BTW, this is the first time I've heard of UPS fixing a problem with audio gear. ;)

Yeah!! That is so funny!

I appreciate that Manley really stepped up and took responsibility for the problem. Great service there.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2008, 11:48:22 AM »
Now with 50 hours, they have been settling in. They were tight at first. Then they cleared up nicely, I liked that but it didn't last. Now they are a getting a touch softer, and warmer. Not as neutral as the GTs, but still 100% better than the other tubes I've tried. They make real music, and they hold bias like a rock hot or cold. There is a ton of power and great low bass. Just not as fast and clear as I got accustomed to to with the Groove Tubes.

Jim McShane recommends the Gold Lion KT77, But at $200/quad, I'm not in a rush. But he is very helpful and friendly. My new tube guy.

I wish the used gear market was healthy, I would sell these and get a Spectron from Black Sands. Still thinking about H-Cat and also curious about AKSA Soroya. Fast clear natural sounding SS amp is next. I will head up North this spring to audition the AKSA and Hcat. Paul (Occam) just had a Rave last week playing his Soroya, couldashouldawoulda.  :duh   But I promised myself I would never go back to NY in winter again. haha

Offline richidoo

« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2009, 05:41:33 PM »
I took out the EH 6CA7s for a while and put the GT back in. The GTs are clearer from 100Hz on up. But I recently put the EH tubes back in, and finding that with more break in and more time for my taste to adjust, they are actually very good. Not as detailed, but probably better balanced overall. The bass response is noticably better than the GT tubes.  Tomorrow bmr3hc (Henry) is coming over with his MF RM9, with RAM EL34 tubes and SED 6550 tubes. We will do some tube swapping, and comparing of the various 100W tube amps. Also, stereofool lent me his VT100mk3 with SED 6550 tubes.