Author Topic: "Soundproof" Partition  (Read 29356 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: "Soundproof" Partition
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2010, 10:24:33 AM »
Living room side will be 1/8 hardboard to match the binary mask thickness, Kitchen side will be 1/4" luan. Both sides will touch the FG. One cross brace inside too.

I could make it again sometime. I already had the FG and the wood is cheap. SO if I want to lower the freq of absorbtion, then the materials need to be heavier right? What's a good recipe for best sound proofing inside a 2 - 2.5" thickness? I guess I oculd go 3", but then it is starting to protrude a lot when folded up. I'm also concerned about hanging too much weight from the header board. Vinyl would be OK if it really performed good, but layers of MDF would be too heavy for comfort.

Thanks
Rich

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2010, 10:30:52 AM »
Unfortunately, soundproofing takes mass.  To stop it acting like a huge membrane (and the living room side will be dominant), you might try putting some non-symmetric braces behind the 1/8" so you have odd shapes and different sizes of panels free to vibrate. 

Can you go thicker on the other side to give more mass?

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline Werd

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2010, 11:55:20 AM »
Hi richiedoodledoodledoo

I would not screw with that house its too nice.. I think your speakers are too big for your room with that complaint. To much energy getting past you. You might want to try toeing in your speakers so all the directional energy crosses right in front of you and look for a lower volume to enjoy. I dont know, you can kick me in the crotch if you want, just a suggestion.   :rofl:
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Précis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline richidoo

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2010, 02:00:10 PM »
I don't want to put more weight on the ceiling so I'll stick with the FG only for now. What about sticking on some vinyl to the outside in the future?

Werd, thanks for the compliment.  I'm gonna try toeing in for more treble anyway. I'll let you know how it works. Thanks
Rich

Offline Werd

• Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2010, 02:17:32 PM »
Or if your want, take the wife to Mcdonalds and get the kingsize mac meals for the next couple of months. When she gets nice and fat have her wear some real thick clothing while she cooks and cleans in the kitchen. If she gets fat enough she'll obsorb all that extra energy. She should be in the kitchen anyways. But what ever you do don't mess up your house.... OH!!! :shock:

Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Précis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2010, 06:37:01 PM »
She should be in the kitchen anyways.

Wow, if my wife heard those kind of words out of me sound comming out of the kitchen would be the least of my worries. I would have to be looking out for airborne frying pans!  :twisted:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2010, 06:37:40 PM »
She should be in the kitchen anyways.

Wow, if my wife heard those kind of words out of me, sound comming out of the kitchen would be the least of my worries. I would have to be looking out for airborne frying pans!  : :rofl:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline richidoo

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2010, 06:54:40 PM »
I have noticed that my listening room sounds best when it is full of well fed audiophiles.  :D 

Offline richidoo

« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2010, 04:29:04 PM »
Making some progress on the wall this week. Rob and I started to hang the panels but ran out of time and had to fudge it for the meet, using a wood board stapled to the halfwall to hold the bottom, and some strong tyvek tape to hold the top. It still worked acoustically, but I underestimated how long it would take to hang them so them would fold correctly.

A couple days of fiddling, some more cutting, and a couple minor problems and it is up and working, but not done yet. The last two panels didn't fit as intended, so there are gaps that I will fill up with wood. Then paint everything, install the diffusion masks where the FG is showing now. Fabric matching the paint will be behind the mask holes.

I tried to reduce the gaps called for in the hardware mfgs instructions, but they put them there for a reason, so I had to shorten the panels by 1/8". The gaps range from 1/8" - 1/4", my house is bent.   :duh

Instead of painting the kitchen side to match the wall color on the halfwall, my wife wants a landscape scene mural.  I did a space mural for my son, now everybody wants in on it. I'll pick one with angel nymphs trotting around half naked through tuscan sunset. haha

The thickness of the folded wall when it is folded is bulkier than I though, because the pin hinges force a 3/4" gap between the panels when they're folded. It will be less conspicuous when painted, but it's big.  But it works, that's what counts.

The sound is awesome. The listening room is finally quiet. The echo from the kitchen is gone, and the room has it's own sense of acoustic space. The folding wall and door combine to cut the appliance noise way down. I will measure it sometime.

Offline _Scotty_

• “Sic transit gloria mundi”
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2010, 08:12:34 PM »
A little late, but what about "piano" hinges with the thickness of the closed hinge accounted for by using
a router to remove the thickness in equivalent material in the surface of panel that it is mounted to.
The hinges would show on one side or another of the door when closed but it looks like from the picture that you would save three inches of stored width when the panel is open.
Scotty

Offline richidoo

« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2010, 09:15:22 PM »
Thanks Scotty. You are right, a traditional hinge would allow a flatter closed bundle. I have some hinges left from the first iteration. I thought about different kinds of hinges for this wall, but the hardware kit came with these pin hinges so I decided to give it a try. During assembly it I was glad I did use them, because the drop in pin hinges allow easily connecting the doors to the rolling knuckle at the top. A traditional hinge would be more difficult to assemble the whole system. I may still explore using flatter hinge if painting doesn't help.

When I was doing model airplanes we used to hinge control surfaces with heat shrink mylar covering film. At one dark moment of frustration I was about to chuck these built doors and hang straight and true MDF slabs, with a sealed flex hinge, like tyvek glued on with contact adhesive or epoxy, or Monokote would actually work pretty good.  Then sanity returned. I can't spend another week on this. But then it would be airtight, no gap, but it would require hanging all 6 doors at once, without damaging the thin glued on hinges which would be tough. It's almost done, I'm glad...

Offline sleepyguy24

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2013, 01:17:16 PM »
Hi everyone

I was looking through the acoustics section to get ideas to help make a temporary soundproof partition for the doorway to where my listening room is and I found this thread. Richidoo and company did a great job making that partition. Really cool. I can't make anything like that for my doorway but was hoping for ideas on a temporary soundproof partition for the space to reduce the music from disturbing others in the house.

Something foldable maybe like portable singing booths like this?

I've attached a picture of the doorway for reference.

Also I do have 8 panels of Owens Corning (48"x24"x2") semi-rigid FACED fiberglass (insulation) boards. If I get a couple of stands like this, put the panels in them and stagger them on the stairway would that reduce the amount of sound getting out of the room?

The base of the stairs is about 35" wide and the overall width of the doorway is about 48". Those stands I found wouldn't fit together side by side.

Sorry to bump and old thread. If it is better for me to start a new thread entirely I will just let me know.

Any thoughts on my situation are much appreciated and if I'm missing anything please let me know.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2013, 01:58:08 PM »
The best thing to do honestly in that case would be to use a solid wood door - likely what is there is a hollow core.  Staircases are going to be tough to do. 

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline richidoo

« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2013, 03:14:59 PM »
So that black cabinet on the lower left sits in the 48" opening? Can you install double doors there?  Find a great carpenter who can install doors precisely with small uniform gaps so you can add weatherstrip all around for airtight seal. Or make FG panels that you can stack up on edge to close up the opening.

Placing a bunch of individual absorbers on the stairs will not do anything to stop sound going upstairs. You need a sealed barrier. You have to find one place where you can make a seal all the way around. The handrails on the stairs preclude the stairway. The mouldings at the top of the stairs might make the opening hard to seal.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2013, 09:19:25 AM »
Looking good there professor. Nuttin like a good room.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.