Author Topic: Triangle Audio Society is born  (Read 43290 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Triangle Audio Society is born
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2007, 02:26:23 PM »
I'm sure Julie wouldn't mind.

Our first purchase as married couple - vintage 1993, unknown asian pulptree veneer over pressboard, with genuwine reeeeal wood legs. $70 for 2 nightstands and a coffee table from Damark surplus catalog. I will cherish them forever, or at least until the first kid moves out and takes them.  :D

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2007, 06:58:39 PM »
Rich, what sources will be in play?    While it looks like I've sold my GNSC modded Wadia CDP, I could bring a Cambridge Audio 840c that is surprisingly good for it's price and comes close to living up to the hype from Robert Harley & TAS (the other TAS ;-).   It also serves as a nice SS DAC as well as a transport since it has both digital inputs and outputs.   

Just let me know if it's needed...

Offline richidoo

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2007, 08:13:38 AM »
We have my Altmann Attraction DAC, Carlman's Scott Nixon DAC, Bigfish's Bolder modded SB3/elpacPS with Burson Buffer. For CD player, we have only my Toshiba universal player (digital out,) and Squeezebox which is limited to music on my NAS. If you have a free hand, please bring your Cambridge and digi cable for it too for comparisons?

Carl, can you bring the magic yellow Analysis Digital IC?

We have a lot of speakers on tap for the meet. I want my Legacys to show their best side (which is power and scale) so I will be playing the entire Tchaikovsky 1812 Overture, at emotionally stimulating SPL  :shock:  starting at 5:15pm to show them off at their finest. Come early to get a good seat, and bring change of underwear ;)  The Focus' were once sarcastically and derisively called "The best rock speakers ever made" over on AA and in honor of that dubious distinction I'd like to play some zeppelin and other hard rock, so bring some favs. Then we can move them out of the way to make way for the audiophile elite speakers waiting in the wings... haha

Rich

Offline Bill O'Connell

• Obsessively Audiophilic
    • http://www.morningstaraudio.com
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2007, 02:24:00 PM »
11 hours to go before the 14.5 hour journey :duh  NOT looking forward to the drive but will do just about anything to sip some DelWinnie scotch with Rich and Carl . Look forward to meeting everybody.3am is just around the corner

"Squeezebox which is limited to music on my NAS". Whats a NAS? I guess I'll find out when I get there.

Have a few CD's that Lonewolf sent for the ride, Thanks Chris.

Amps are packed up in the back seat, have my Mapquest paperwork all set.

Until then,
Bill
Bill O'Connell,
Retired /Morningstar Audio/Eastern Electric distributor for North America
847-255-1150
"If your playing more than 3 chords your just showing off"  John Lee Hooker

miklorsmith

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2007, 03:07:01 PM »
You guys like scotch?  Me too.  I have an 18 year Macallan that's freakin' great.  It only comes out on special occasions.

Talisker is good for the price, and I like Lagavulin a lot - for a 16 year it's quite reasonable.  Oban is good, but I think Glenmorangie is overrated.  The 12 year is OK if a little bland but the 18 year is WAY overpriced - boorrriinngg.  Dalwhinnie is a tasty one too.

We have state-owned liquor stores here.  They have some selection but I can only imagine how nice it would be to have REAL choice.

Wish I could be there to meet everyone too.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 03:09:09 PM by miklorsmith »

Offline richidoo

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2007, 03:10:57 PM »
Bill, drive safely! Don't worry we will not drink all the Scotch before you get here! I can tell this is about to turn into a Scotch thread. haha

NAS means Network Attached Storage. It is a small file/print/web server on my LAN (Local Area Network) and holds my media files. It also has a slow processor in it which runs slimserver so I can listen to music on Squeezebox without running separate computer.

mdconnelly (Mike) is bringing his new Cambridge CD player, so we will have great disc player too. Thanks Mike
Rich

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2007, 03:45:46 PM »
Cool!  Really looking forward to hearing the amps... I was seriously considering dragging over my honkin' Piega C8's... but then one thing led to another and it's not looking like that will happen... Plus, how much gear can we really have in one place?  I really need to get the basement ready.... sigh.

Can't wait to see Bill again.... and hear those amps on a more familiar setup.... and of course have a dram or 2... ;)  The Dalwhinnie Bill likes is the 1990 Distiller's Edition.  Buy it if you find it. :)

Take care,
Carl

I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline Bill O'Connell

• http://www.morningstaraudio.com
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2007, 04:42:29 PM »
I knew I hacked the spelling of that scotch :rofl: I was never a scotch drinker before RMAF, Seagrams7 and water was more to my taste but since Denver I have had scotch twice now and seem to lean towards this as my preferred drink when I can afford it.
 Carl, I may be giving you a call on the way as Rich is headed to a concert on Friday, we'll see how travel goes timeline wise, if not I'll catch you on Sat. How far are you from Rich's place?
Bill O'Connell,
Retired /Morningstar Audio/Eastern Electric distributor for North America
847-255-1150
"If your playing more than 3 chords your just showing off"  John Lee Hooker

Offline richidoo

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2007, 05:28:39 PM »
Carl's about a half hour away with no traffic. You will pass by him on the way, he is 2 minutes from the highway.
Rich

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2007, 06:05:21 PM »
I am a big fan of single malt as well... but, hey... no bourbon drinkers in this group?    My son-in-law turned me on to some amazing bourbons that are every bit as much a treat as these high-falutin' scotches.

Oh wait... have we trust traded one nervosa for another?   

Offline allenzachary

« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2007, 08:21:10 PM »
I've found that high-end liquor is very good in almost any variety.  I drink very little, (a glass or two every month or two) but I revel in a taste of Laphroig, (single malt scotch, like drinking a fine cigar...thanks to Carl for tugging my coat to it); Appleton Estate 21 rum is marvelous; Cofradia Reposado, a tequila exclusive to Mexico, is an adventure (and I thought I hated tequila).

lonewolfny42

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2007, 09:48:24 PM »
Bill....

Have a safe trip.... :)

........... Chris

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2007, 05:15:23 AM »
The new website is up, so I guess we're official.   :roll:

http://www.triangleaudiosociety.com/

We're having a G2G at my house Saturday, November 17th at 5pm.  8)  I hope everybody can come. Email me with any gear you would like to bring.
Thanks,
Rich

Looking good. What State are you guys in?

rollo
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2007, 06:23:38 AM »
Rollo, it's NC. You're invited anytime you're in the neighborhood ;)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2007, 07:15:46 AM »
Richadoo,
              Thanks. You might see me during Golf season.

rollo
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.