Author Topic: hearing test  (Read 220 times)

Offline Nick B

• Administrator
  • Audio Neurotic
hearing test
« on: December 14, 2018, 07:50:42 PM »
Thought I’d pass this along. My wife has been suggesting for ages that I get a hearing test. So I finally did and there’s a drop at 8k in my right ear (still within normal limits) and a more significant drop at 4k in the left. The audiologist suggested a visit to an ENT within 6 months, but curiosity got the better of me and I set up a visit right away.
Well, there was a mild infection and a fair amount of “gunk” as well. The doctor suggested taking antibiotic drops for a week at bedtime. The instructions were 5 to 10 drops and using a cotton ball saturated with petroleum jelly so the drops wouldn’t be absorbed by the cotton ball.
There was discharge for the first 3-4 days and then complete healing.
I had thought for some time that I had some acoustic issues in the living room as I was always getting more sound from the right speaker. But the simple answer was the issue with the left ear. At first, it was a subtle, but noticeable improvement. But then after about 2 weeks, it became a very pronounced improvement. I wonder if my left ear and brain simply had to adapt to listening to more sound again.
In any event, the channel balance is excellent now and I’m thrilled.
So if an audiologist tests you and there are issues, you might consider a visit to an ENT as well.
Happy listening! 🎶
ICEpower 1200as2 stereo amp
Audio Hungary APR 204 preamp
KEF LS 50 speakers
Border Patrol SE dac
Auralic Aries Mini
Roon & Tidal
Don Sachs phono
Basis Ovation turntable
Graham 1.5 T tonearm
AT-ML150 cartridge
PI Audio Uber
All cables by Gary A

Offline dflee

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: hearing test
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 08:49:58 AM »
Nicely done Nick.
Wish my visit got results like yours did.
Hope things are looking up for you.
True story here: friend went to an audiologist and was tested.
After the test he and his wife were in the docs office and the doc then asks the wife to
test her voice. Turns out the loss of hearing range for him matched the range his wife's voice was.
Coincidence? I think not.

Don

Offline Nick B

• Administrator
  • Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2018, 09:32:26 AM »
Nicely done Nick.
Wish my visit got results like yours did.
Hope things are looking up for you.
True story here: friend went to an audiologist and was tested.
After the test he and his wife were in the docs office and the doc then asks the wife to
test her voice. Turns out the loss of hearing range for him matched the range his wife's voice was.
Coincidence? I think not.

Don

Don,
The male brain has amazing adaptive powers!  Sadly, I can still hear my wife’s voice as always 😄
Truth be told, though, she’s very supportive with my audio affliction
Nick
ICEpower 1200as2 stereo amp
Audio Hungary APR 204 preamp
KEF LS 50 speakers
Border Patrol SE dac
Auralic Aries Mini
Roon & Tidal
Don Sachs phono
Basis Ovation turntable
Graham 1.5 T tonearm
AT-ML150 cartridge
PI Audio Uber
All cables by Gary A

Offline P.I.

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2018, 07:58:19 PM »
All over 55.  Most of us have tinnitus in our left ears

Why?

We drove around in cars w/o AC with the drivers window down at whatever speeds.  The constant fluttering of air beat our ear drums to death.  I have it.  Every person that I know close to my age does, too. 

Listening to music, really listening, is not necessarily dependent on frequency response.  I know too many people that can’t hear a French horn in an orchesteral arrangement.  At 70, I probably hear ‘better’ than I did at 25.

Difference is that I have learned HOW to listen.  Hearing is not listening.

Listening is the ability to discern not only instruments and voices, but everything else that exists in the sound space presented to us.  Everyone can “hear” the notes.  How many people even know if they are on pitch or a few cents flat or sharp?  How many people care?

It is the spaces between the notes that intrigue me.  This is where the harmonic series from instruments, reverb tails, and all (many) the subtleties that define great performances as well as tremendous recordings live and best of all, breathe.  I built a business on this fact!

We shouldn’t  worry about what we can’t hear and learn to appreciate and love everything that we can.

Just sayin’... I love me some great recordings of wonderful performances and will until I’m deaf as a rock.
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe