Author Topic: How much would you pay for a CD or LP?  (Read 500 times)

Offline malloy

• Certifiable
  • no grave concern for repercussion
How much would you pay for a CD or LP?
« on: October 11, 2018, 10:02:38 PM »
At one point before it was reissued, Chet Baker's Live in Tokyo double CD, the last live recording he did before he passed, was selling for around $1,700 on Amazon. I wasn't willing to pay that much, but I wanted my own original copy even though it could be downloaded via torrent illegally.

This CD by j-pop artist Hitomi Shimatani originally sold for $143. It is a 'limited' special release with a booklet, 4 cds and 2 blu-rays. I did not buy it when it was release in 2013. Boy, little did I know that when Japan says 'limited' they really mean LIMITED.  :duh

A sealed copy can set you back around $925  and at one point it was selling for $1,500 new and $700 USED.

I see some on the used marketplace for around$200++ and I am tempted. I am that much of a fan.

People scoff at me for collecting LP's and CD's saying that everything is available on mp3's. They just do not get it. 

But I know the folks here are different, so the question is:

What's the most you've paid for an LP or CD and how much are you willing to shell out for a rare piece of music? 

Offline S Clark

• Certifiable
Re: How much would you pay for a CD or LP?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 10:19:08 PM »
$135 for an early pressing, NM copy of MIngus' Ah Um.  I"ve bought a lot of cheap records in mediocre shape that I've come to regret, but never with a more expensive, high quality pressing of something I really wanted.  I kick myself for not paying over $100+ for a NM, 1s pressing of the collectable RCA Pines of Rome.  I"ll likely never see another. 
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 10:34:02 PM by S Clark »
TT- Technics , Vyger  / Quintet Blue, Dyna 20x2, Blackbird
Phono pre- Dodd, , Jolida
Cables- Bolder, Wywires, TWL,
Speakers- LS-9, X-Static/GR-servo
Pre-Dodd
Amp- Moscode, Dodd, Folsom
P.I. Audio diffusers
DIY corner traps

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 06:27:42 AM »
Malloy - If you were ever able to track down a copy of this limited edition set, would you be able to play those Blu Ray discs in the first place? If this was a Japan only release there is a high likelihood that the Blu-rays are region coded for Japan and you would not be able to play them in a player purchased in the US unless you specifically bough a region free Blu-Ray player. Looking on ebay and Discogs I see there is also a 3 CD set of this album that can be had for under $30, including shipping. I'm not sure what is included in the Limited edition set that is not in the 3 disc version, but that would make it a very expensive last disc. (In my experience with these ultra deluxe box sets is the further you get into them the weaker they get and often by the time I get to the last disc I feel like they are really just looking for stuff to fill another disc so the can justify the big price tag for the set. Perhaps this set is different, I wouldn't know.

S Clark - Chad Kassem has really done an outstanding job with his remastering of the Living Stereo series. And with the availability of really high quality pressings of the same titles we are starting to see this prices drop o original pressings. I was just talking about the 1S Pines LP with a buddy a few weeks ago and that very night I saw a copy up on ebay selling for $30. I put it on my watch list just to see what the closing price on the listing ended up being and I was shocked when it sold for right around %40. Now that is not what I would consider a typical selling price, but a cheap one slips through every now and then and the price is generally trending downward compared to 10 years ago.

If you are just looking for the better SQ of the 1S pressing I would strongly suggest trying the Analogue production reissue. It has great sound and the vinyl is dead quiet. On the other hand if you are looking for the collectability good luck, I know that the thrill of the hunt is certainly part of the fun. (Just a few moths ago I scored a mint copy of For Duke for $40 on ebay. I had been looking for that since it went out of print while I wasn't paying attention in the 80s. I had the CD and I always wanted an LP copy but wasn't willing to pay the big collectors premium for it, so I just waited it out until I found a deal. It was exciting to finally find one after all these years.  :D)
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• Quicksilver Mid Monos
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Sumiko Blue Pt. Special
• EE Minmax DAC/Bluesound Node/Denon 2910
• TWL Power Cords/MIT Cables

Offline tmazz

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 06:54:14 AM »
Back to the original question, what is the most I have ever shelled out for a record.... that would have to be $100 for a MoFi UHQR pressing of Sgt Pepper. Mofi sold out the entire press run of 5000 copies in one morning so it became an instant collectable. A year or two after it sold out I was on a business trip and went out t teh end of the day to checkout the record store across the street from my hotel. There I found two copies while perusing a local record store while selling for $100 each. I quickly snapped up both of them and within a week I had sold off the second copy for $180. The guy I sold it to just put it on a shelf and just recently sold it for $900. At the time I was just happy to have gotten my hands on a copy for what ended up being only $20.  :thumb:

And BTW, in spite of all the reissues, remasterings and remixes, that UHQR is still the best sounding Pepper I have ever heard.

Other than that I did pay $250 for a sealed MoFI Beatles box set back in 1985, but when I got it home every single LP was warped. I brought it back and the store had another set but said that if I took that one it would be final sale. Since it was stored in the back room in the same place as the first set I bought I did not feel there was a good chance of the second set being in any better shape, so I just took a refund.

Its hard to say what is the most I would be willing to pay for a recording. Although I have a substantial record collection, I do not consider myself a "collector" per se. I do not buy records for the sake of owning them, I buy them to listen to. So just because a record is rare, that does not mean that it has any more value to me.

• Nola Boxers
• Quicksilver Mid Monos
• ARC SP-9

Offline rollo

• Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 08:53:26 AM »
Hard to say. First I would have to hear the music to find out if I like it. For me buying collectible LPs is not for me. Even though I own many collectibles in 10" mono and 33.3 Bluenote Jazz LPs. Shaded Dogs and so on.
Excellent reissues from AS or RR I would pay up to $50each. For a CD $30 maximum.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm - Aqua Acoustic Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm Speakers - PI Audio Uberbuss - Triode Wire Labs- Kuzma - Furutech - Audio Hungry Qualiton - Fritz Carrera speakers -Gigawatt-Arion

Offline Nick B

• Administrator
  • Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2018, 10:11:23 AM »
 I think the most that I’ve ever paid for a CD was $35. I wonder if any of you guys who stream Tidal or Qobuz have found any of the rare CDs you’re interested in.
Nick
ICEpower 1200as2 stereo amp
Audio Hungary APR 204 preamp
KEF LS 50 speakers
Border Patrol SE dac
Auralic Aries Mini
Roon & Tidal
Don Sachs phono
Basis Ovation turntable
Graham 1.5 T tonearm
AT-ML150 cartridge
PI Audio Uber
All cables by Gary A

Offline JBNY

• Seeking Help
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2018, 10:51:47 AM »
Well the two most expensive LP and CD I bought were both odd but hard to find limited releases. an LP from Coheed And Cambria "The Second Stage Turbine Blade" for $125 on a black Friday sale, it sells for about $200 now. the other was a 5 CD soundtrack from Japan called Cowboy Bebop, I think I paid $60 at the time, that is up to about $120.

I didn't buy them to resell but because I liked the music and wanted it in the format I bought.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 10:54:19 AM by JBNY »
-Joe
Von Schweikert Speakers
W4S STP-SE STG2 Preamp/SST SOA2 Amp
Roon Core i7NUC/Synology 46TB NAS
W4S DAC-2v2se DAC/Sonore MicroRendu/Matrix X-SPDIF2 i2s
Pass Labs X-17 Phono/OL Resolution MK4 TT/Conqueror MK3c/Kiseki PH
Equi=core 1800 Balanced Power

Offline S Clark

• Certifiable
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2018, 11:00:44 AM »

S Clark - Chad Kassem has really done an outstanding job with his remastering of the Living Stereo series. And with the availability of really high quality pressings of the same titles we are starting to see this prices drop o original pressings. I was just talking about the 1S Pines LP with a buddy a few weeks ago and that very night I saw a copy up on ebay selling for $30. I put it on my watch list just to see what the closing price on the listing ended up being and I was shocked when it sold for right around %40. Now that is not what I would consider a typical selling price, but a cheap one slips through every now and then and the price is generally trending downward compared to 10 years ago.

If you are just looking for the better SQ of the 1S pressing I would strongly suggest trying the Analogue production reissue. It has great sound and the vinyl is dead quiet. On the other hand if you are looking for the collectability good luck, I know that the thrill of the hunt is certainly part of the fun. (Just a few moths ago I scored a mint copy of For Duke for $40 on ebay. I had been looking for that since it went out of print while I wasn't paying attention in the 80s. I had the CD and I always wanted an LP copy but wasn't willing to pay the big collectors premium for it, so I just waited it out until I found a deal. It was exciting to finally find one after all these years.  :D)
Well, crap, another post that just cost me $100+.  First the Analogue productions Pines, then the others that were on sale that pushed the total up to the "free" shipping.   
TT- Technics , Vyger  / Quintet Blue, Dyna 20x2, Blackbird
Phono pre- Dodd, , Jolida
Cables- Bolder, Wywires, TWL,
Speakers- LS-9, X-Static/GR-servo
Pre-Dodd
Amp- Moscode, Dodd, Folsom
P.I. Audio diffusers
DIY corner traps

Offline tmazz

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2018, 02:21:04 PM »

Well, crap, another post that just cost me $100+.  First the Analogue productions Pines, then the others that were on sale that pushed the total up to the "free" shipping.

Glad to have been of assitance. Hey, what are friends for.  8)

Listening to the Reiner Pines right now. Playing the SACD Hybrid release. Not as good as the LP , but I am working on getting some break in time on a new digital cable.

• Nola Boxers
• Quicksilver Mid Monos
• ARC SP-9

Offline malloy

• Certifiable
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2018, 09:29:54 PM »
Malloy - If you were ever able to track down a copy of this limited edition set, would you be able to play those Blu Ray discs in the first place? If this was a Japan only release there is a high likelihood that the Blu-rays are region coded for Japan and you would not be able to play them in a player purchased in the US unless you specifically bough a region free Blu-Ray player.

Haha. Good question! The answer I think is a PS3. Blu-Rays are not region locked (or so I read). But even if it did not play, I'd find a way!

Looking on ebay and Discogs I see there is also a 3 CD set of this album that can be had for under $30, including shipping. I'm not sure what is included in the Limited edition set that is not in the 3 disc version, but that would make it a very expensive last disc. (In my experience with these ultra deluxe box sets is the further you get into them the weaker they get and often by the time I get to the last disc I feel like they are really just looking for stuff to fill another disc so the can justify the big price tag for the set. Perhaps this set is different, I wouldn't know.

Yes, I saw the 3 CD version. There is also a 2 CD version.  I thought they were just trying to cash in on a so-so 'special' release but I was wrong!

The contents of the first two CD's I already have in individual albums and singles. However even with the songs I already have included in the first two discs, they included some different arrangements of the songs I have - totally new versions. That alone would make me want to buy.

Then there is the 4th CD. It contains very rare songs released only as singles that are no longer in print and are sold on Amazon Japan for exorbitant amounts. One is a 1999 CD single from when the artist was just an up and coming singer. This single I sometimes see on Amazon or ebay for $200+.  And then there are the songs in the 4th disc that I never heard of and was not aware were even recorded!  I tried tracking down her CDs while I was in Japan but even in used stores I could only find a few.

The 1st blu-ray contains just music videos. The 2nd disc is unobtainium. It is a concert not available anywhere and I've not heard of. Then there is the special booklet and autograph...

Paul

Offline malloy

• Certifiable
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2018, 09:33:10 PM »
the other was a 5 CD soundtrack from Japan called Cowboy Bebop, I think I paid $60 at the time, that is up to about $120.

Hi JBNY, 

Was it the box set from Yoko Kanno? Another good and collectible one !

Paul

Offline JBNY

• Seeking Help
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2018, 06:46:55 AM »
the other was a 5 CD soundtrack from Japan called Cowboy Bebop, I think I paid $60 at the time, that is up to about $120.

Hi JBNY, 

Was it the box set from Yoko Kanno? Another good and collectible one !

Paul

Yeah, it’s this one.

https://www.discogs.com/The-Seatbelts-Cowboy-Bebop-CD-Box/release/9321264
-Joe
Von Schweikert Speakers
W4S STP-SE STG2 Preamp/SST SOA2 Amp
Roon Core i7NUC/Synology 46TB NAS
W4S DAC-2v2se DAC/Sonore MicroRendu/Matrix X-SPDIF2 i2s
Pass Labs X-17 Phono/OL Resolution MK4 TT/Conqueror MK3c/Kiseki PH
Equi=core 1800 Balanced Power